Hammocks

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Have you ever slept overnight in a hammock?

Yes; it was great. It cured my hangover/spinal injury/etc and gave me a permanent +1 to Constitution.
75%
Yes. It was awful. I hated it and will never do it again.
6%
No; I have been missing out and will mend my vertical ways.
13%
No, hammocks are the seasick bed of heathens.
6%

Total votes : 16

Hammocks

Postby mapandcompass » Sun May 02, 2010 2:46 am

Anyone else big on sleeping in hammocks? It's such an awesome upgrade to the 'sleeping outside' situation.

I had been using a forest green "Ultralight" model by Travel Hammock for a couple of years: camping, lounging, BBQs, etc. I recently decided it was time to upgrade and acquire (at a minimum) one with an onboard bug net. I'm tempted to splurge on a Hennessy, but have no experience with them. Anyone owned or used one of these things?

http://hennessyhammock.com/sp-hammock-camping.html

Also I know there's a Clark Jungle Hammock but those things are just too spendy for my simple tastes and thin wallet. Are there any other brands I should be looking for?
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus

Re: Hammocks

Postby Penta » Sun May 02, 2010 12:11 pm

I love hammocks, mostly for an afternoon siesta, but I've slept the night in them often. (Remember, the key is to lie diagonally across, never slumped straight along the middle, which is a killer for backs. And if you're slinging them between coconut palms on the beach, try to pick trees without too many ripe coconuts: it's disconcerting when you hear them thudding on to the sand just by your head - that said, I've never known any cases of bull's eyes.) We've bought hammocks in Colombia, Venezuela and Brazil: no brands, all comfortable, Brazilian cheapest. Always go for "matrimonial" for comfort (or, obviously, if you intend to share). The woven ones are best; the pretty crochet ones with tassels get wrecked pretty quickly; and the light string vest-type ones are uncomfortable and leave you with string vest marks all over.

As for these fancy Hennessy ones, I know and care nothing about them, but we've had threads before.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Woodsman » Sun May 02, 2010 1:57 pm

I have the tendency to believe a hammock can either make you hurt bad or make you feel super comfortable - the key (from my experience) isn't lying on them diagonally, but rather stringing them up properly. If you let the hammock slouch too much, you will wake up hurt. If you stretch the hell out of the hammock and it remains stretched tightly, you will have a great night's sleep.

I have spent probably a couple week's time total sleeping in hammocks overnight - I absolutely love them. People who claim "droopy butt" don't have them hung tight enough.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Sun May 02, 2010 2:03 pm

mapandcompass wrote:Also I know there's a Clark Jungle Hammock but those things are just too spendy for my simple tastes and thin wallet. Are there any other brands I should be looking for?

This is the travel hammock I have now:

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/expeditionhammock.html

Where I live we have horrendous mosquitoes, and this thing works well to keep the bugs from sucking you dry.

If you plan on sleeping in this during cold weather, you will NEED to place a closed cell foam pad between the two bottom layers to keep warm - I don't care what sleeping bag you have, you will freeze if it gets cold (<45F) without the pad.

I wear a size 46 jacket and I find it just a tad narrow. If you're a big guy, you might want to try a wider hammock.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Sun May 02, 2010 2:38 pm

http://hennessyhammock.com/specs-deep_jungle_small.html This one is 58" wide according to hennessy - if that is correct, that would be preferable...but read on.

The price is great on the mosquito hammock expedition model vs. the other two makers (clarks are outta control), but they don't come with a fly. I bought a fly from campmor (I think - or it might have been sierra trading post) for around $30-40, cut it down, pounded some grommets all the way around it and it works good. ALSO: instead of using only knots to mount mine, I purchased some black diamond carabiners (around $15 each) that are rated for climbing and use these to mount my hammock instead (it is much faster put up/take down than screwing around with adjusting knots) I also have a couple of rolls of heavy duty nylon sleeves that I designed for use in extremely large diameter trees (the types you will find in primary jungle and preserves such as yosemite. It is difficult to find small trees (<12" diameter chest high) in some places. Ideally, large trees work better than small trees to attach hammocks to since you want the width to be stretched out good for comfort.

Oh yeah: I know for a fact this hammock I have will hold at LEAST 300 lbs., because my wife and I have been in at the same time and we add up to 300# together almost exactly. We were rocking back and forth in it without any problems at all - and it was quite comfortable too!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby mapandcompass » Sun May 02, 2010 6:16 pm

The price is great on the mosquito hammock expedition model vs. the other two makers

No kidding! That looks like a great buy, thanks for the tip. With your positive review I think this may be the new leader of the pack.
I'm a generally medium-built fellow so the size is sufficient. It's no biggie that it lacks a rain-fly, it's almost too easy to hang a tarp overhead. I have an ultralight 10x12 foot tarp that makes a great A-Frame rainfly and a good dry floorspace to work with beneath.

I've been hammock camping for a few years now so I know to lay diagonally and to put closed-cell foam under my butt. I also figured out to hang 'drip lines' made of cotton twine between your hammock and the tree unless you want cold dribble running down your ropes and into your bed.
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Sun May 02, 2010 6:25 pm

I would rather sleep on a sheet of plywood.
Sri Lanky

Postby ShogunJ » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:49 am

I recently purchased a eagles nest outfitters (ENO) hammock and took it on a short camping trip. When i got to the campsite I was able to set it up in about 2 mins and just chill for a minute (aka fall asleep for an hour), woke up feeling awesome and ready to go. ENO hammocks are made to hold 400 pounds which is nice for the double hammock i got. They also make rain flys and bug nets but unfortunately those come separate.
ShogunJ

Postby ktrout » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:27 am

I totally go for the Hennessy. Never been more comfortable in the woods. I did put one up straddling a cold mountain stream once which wasn't the best plan. The noise was wonderful but the cold damp surroundings wasn't. Somehow I still managed to get a good enough night's rest.
It's great for a touring cyclist. Lightweight sleeping bag plus Hennessy plus Thermarest, under 10 pounds for a complete kit.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:42 pm

I just bought another one a few days ago: It's called a Amazonas parachute traveler hammock by Byer. I bought it because I was looking for a cheap no-screen hammock I could just string up. It was on clearance for $13 at a local sporting goods store. It's okay, bugs can't bite through the bottom of it, but the cloth isn't as soft as some other parachute material hammocks. I don't think I would buy another one.

Shogun: I have chilled out in an ENO hammock and they make a very good parachute cord hammock. It is not good for jungle areas, but it's a great hammock to chill.

ktrout: I would be very surprised to find a Hennessy that is any better than the mosquito hammock, but I suppose there might be some reason why it would be better.

I think for a bike ride, I would chose a hammock bivy so there is no need to mess with putting a tarp up. Easy up, easy down - but I do not know a company that makes such a unit.

I have a Bibler bivy that I custom ordered in camo a few years back. It is awesome for a portable place to sleep, but if it's hilly, you're screwed. What this niche needs is a combination between the two. You can pitch the mosquito hammock as a tent, but it's not as quick or as good as the bivy - and like most hammocks, it's got no solid top, so you need to use a tarp.

I have seen folks make these hammock bivy before and they look super cool.

I think I might consider adding a tarp to the mosquito hammock that can be stripped back or added with velcro.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:40 am

Woodsman wrote:ktrout: I would be very surprised to find a Hennessy that is any better than the mosquito hammock, but I suppose there might be some reason why it would be better.

I don't have experience with the Mosquito to say. Just that the Hennessy works for me.
Since I was watching the "Long way round" last night I was kind of thinking about their bright orange tent. I kept thinking that unless I have a good reason to I'm going to try to stay green or beige. No reason to draw attention unless I'm near death. With the Hennessy I've actually been "discovered" even while camping more or less in the open in campgrounds.
I might try a bivy type. I also have to acquaint myself with using the hammock on the ground since I'm going to be passing through yet another desert soon.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Royal » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:08 am

Sri Lanky wrote:I would rather sleep on a sheet of plywood.

Yep.
One night in a hammock & my back was complaining for three days.
Image We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby ktrout » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:20 am

Royal wrote:

Yep.

I feel sorry for you two.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Royal » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:59 am

ktrout wrote:
Royal wrote:

Yep.

I feel sorry for you two.

Send us money to express your sympathy in a practical way.
Image We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby Woodsman » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:51 pm

ktrout wrote:
Woodsman wrote: I kept thinking that unless I have a good reason to I'm going to try to stay green or beige. No reason to draw attention unless I'm near death. With the Hennessy I've actually been "discovered" even while camping more or less in the open in campgrounds.
I might try a bivy type. I also have to acquaint myself with using the hammock on the ground since I'm going to be passing through yet another desert soon.

That's a very good idea. The most neutral color that exists for all environments is the color of a deer's hide (sort of light brown/clay). It is hard to see in full foliage and hard to see in desert. My mosquito hammock (and I expect your hennessey as well) is green/o.d., which blends in ok, but not great. Clay tarp + 550 cord = cover the whole tent.

Just watch where you camp - you don't want to camp anywhere where someone may be running a vehicle, not see your tent and run over you. There has been a time or two camping in our area where I have considered the activities of drunk two tracking rednecks before placing my tent in a given location. ;-)
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!