Weird, cheap and kinda cool: Chinese vehicles in the US

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Weird, cheap and kinda cool: Chinese vehicles in the US

Postby Kurt » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:24 am

This is Wildfire Motors out of Stubenville Ohio. Before you laugh remember the first Honda Dealership in the US opened up about 50 years ago selling weird Japanese things. Volkswagon and BMW started selling weird German imports and all of that is history now. So they are selling weird, cheap (or inexpensive) Chinese things.

http://www.wildfiremotors.com/

They sell a 600cc three wheeled pickup...which I think is totally cool. Top speed of 45 mph, but you are not looking for performance when you buy a three wheeled pickup.

The thing I think is totally bitchin is the motorised bicycle.

No price yet and its not street legal anywhere in the US...but time to smash the fucking state and drive a bicycle with a 60CC motor attached to it. I am sure since I am a white, middle aged man that means I can say "I'm sorry officer I did not know it was illegal to do this, I'll walk it home" and then hop on it and hit the accelerator and peel slowly away while yelling "I gotta burn all the gas....can't have a fire hazard you know.."

Then I will flip him off while waving.

The downside to all of these is that since it is chinese, that means it will likely kill my cat. The other downside is that I have to assemble it myself...Not a problem really with a vehicle that can only go 25mph if I have not had any pizza that day but their other motorcycles that can go over 40mph would be quite frightening if I assembled them myself. It seems like it could be a scenario where I hit a bump and then the seat unbolts and my face skids off.

But dig this:

https://www.wildfiremotors.com/componen ... 0650-T.JPG

It looks like a pickup from the 1960's in a way..spartan interior, cig lighter and ashtray and if you look to the left you will see something that you never see in a promotional photo for a car, a fuse box.

I think that's great.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: Weird, cheap and kinda cool: Chinese vehicles in the US

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:17 pm

45 MPH on a bicycle, dang that sounds like a neck-breaking waiting to happen

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Kurt » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:10 am

JamesInTheWorld wrote:45 MPH on a bicycle, dang that sounds like a neck-breaking waiting to happen

~JITW

The bicycle only goes to 25 but their scooters and a motorcycle that you assemble yourself can go much faster than 45mph.

There Trike Pickup is supposed to "cruise" at 45mph. I guess for the economic times cheap and chinese might be the best way for Americans in the hinterlands to get from point A to point B (since a large amount of our old cars were cashed for the stupid Clunkers thingy.)
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ktrout » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:53 am

Wow, that's way retro. Two words: Chinese plumber. I hope they're better.

JamesInTheWorld wrote:45 MPH on a bicycle, dang that sounds like a neck-breaking waiting to happen

I hit that downhill on my bicycles all the time. It's perfectly fine with disc brakes.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:24 pm

Kurt wrote: Before you laugh remember the first Honda Dealership in the US opened up about 50 years ago selling weird Japanese things. Volkswagon and BMW started selling weird German imports and all of that is history now. So they are selling weird, cheap (or inexpensive) Chinese things.

Flawed comparison. The Nip and Kraut imports might have had funny writing in them, but they worked. Chinese shit is...shit.

The Costa Rican FP got an assload of FAW B70 police models (and by police model I mean a light bar, the word "police" painted on the side, along with the Chicom flag.) "donated" to them by the ChiComs, and suprise...they turned out to be total shit. But Arias got his bribe so...
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby Kurt » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:55 am

Q wrote:
Kurt wrote: Before you laugh remember the first Honda Dealership in the US opened up about 50 years ago selling weird Japanese things. Volkswagon and BMW started selling weird German imports and all of that is history now. So they are selling weird, cheap (or inexpensive) Chinese things.

Flawed comparison. The Nip and Kraut imports might have had funny writing in them, but they worked. Chinese shit is...shit.

The Costa Rican FP got an assload of FAW B70 police models (and by police model I mean a light bar, the word "police" painted on the side, along with the Chicom flag.) "donated" to them by the ChiComs, and suprise...they turned out to be total shit. But Arias got his bribe so...

Yeah, that's the thing. Chinese shit is ...well...shit.

But I do dig the three wheeled cars and the bicycle with the motor, but you are probably right.

If the Koreans would do it then we might have something.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ktrout » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:17 pm

Kurt wrote:But I do dig the three wheeled cars and the bicycle with the motor, but you are probably right.

The three wheeled cars are kind of interesting. So they save that much money by leaving out one wheel. As long as they don't try to turn that hard.
I love the three wheeled pickups with two cylinder (I think) diesel engines that sound like jack hammers.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:28 pm

Kurt wrote:
Q wrote:

Yeah, that's the thing. Chinese shit is ...well...shit.

But I do dig the three wheeled cars and the bicycle with the motor, but you are probably right.

If the Koreans would do it then we might have something.

I don't know who makes them, but have always wanted one for shits and giggles;

Get one. We'll mount a 12.7mm Kord in the bed to keep the NYPD from clotheslining us.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby ktrout » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:08 pm

Q wrote:Image

Oh, yeah. I've seen a few of those. I had never seen a rototiller used for personal transportation before.
They're using a lot of electrics now.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:13 pm

Kurt wrote:They sell a 600cc three wheeled pickup...which I think is totally cool. Top speed of 45 mph, but you are not looking for performance when you buy a three wheeled pickup.

Is that the WTF6000?
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:11 am

Q wrote:

I don't know who makes them, but have always wanted one for shits and giggles;

Get one. We'll mount a 12.7mm Kord in the bed to keep the NYPD from clotheslining us.

I've seen pictures like that too those are home-made chinese cars made before the reforms. Ingenious peasants make the world go 'round.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:20 am

Kurt wrote:

~JITW

The bicycle only goes to 25 but their scooters and a motorcycle that you assemble yourself can go much faster than 45mph.

There Trike Pickup is supposed to "cruise" at 45mph. I guess for the economic times cheap and chinese might be the best way for Americans in the hinterlands to get from point A to point B (since a large amount of our old cars were cashed for the stupid Clunkers thingy.)

You are a nerd because you know that

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby ktrout » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:42 pm

Q wrote:

That's the thing. The Chinese only get exposed to shit. The products they get are the shit ones, their censors only allow PRC friendly bullshit through so their education system is shit and shit flows openly. They even put it directly on their crops. They even get upset when you say "Hey, this is shit!"
My cheap department store bike was a sensation with anyone who looked closely at it. I only rode it because it was cheap enough for me to walk away from.
Basically, it's shit in, shit out.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Royal » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:01 am

China's enigmatic car industry
By Michael Robinson
Beijing
11 JULY 2010

While many Western economies are in trouble and preparing for an age of austerity, China is talking about a new prosperity, with its carmakers in particular poised to challenge the established global giants.

As the traffic zipped by on a 10-lane highway running through the centre of Beijing, just a couple of blocks from Tiananmen Square, I tried car-spotting with Rick Hull - the founder of Australia's biggest independent chain of car distributors.
Rick has been coming to China for years, watching its motor industry mushroom.
And it certainly has. Last year China overtook Japan as the world's biggest carmaker. This year it overtook America as the biggest car market.
I am no motoring journalist, but even I could recognise some of the American, European, Korean and Japanese models zooming by.

But what about all those models from the 20 or so new carmakers who have sprung up all over China in the past decade?
Rick studied the traffic carefully, then shook his head, threw his hands into the air and laughed.
"It's, it's impossible," he shouted above the traffic roar. "There are so many of them. It's just too confusing."

It was certainly a relief to find even a craggy veteran of the motor business baffled because the day before, at the press conference for Beijing's 2010 auto show (now also, of course, the biggest in the world), I had certainly been confused.

Question of nationality

The auto show at first was familiar enough.
Music and flashing lights blasting at me from all directions and a multitude of glamourous, sometimes bored-looking young women showing off a seemingly endless array of cars. But then the puzzles started

At a stand for the famous Swedish brand Volvo, I wanted to know about the Chinese carmaker - just 12 years in the business - which had just bought the Volvo name from Ford.
A helpful press officer came over. "So this car used to be Swedish," I asked him. "And then it was American - owned by Ford. And now it's Chinese-owned. So what is it now - Swedish or American or Chinese?"
The press man looked uncomfortable. Would I like to see inside the cars, he asked me. Or perhaps some brochures?
Clearly he had no ready answer. Not surprisingly, since Volvos are anyway already manufactured in China.

But what about all those new Chinese brands?

On a stand showing a range of family saloons, I met a Spanish-born designer for the French maker Renault holding his chin and eyeing them up.
"The back is like a Renault Megane Cabrio," he told me. "And the front - well, it's like a Mercedes CLS."
"So is it a Chinese car - or a copy," I asked him, mindful of the endless complaints about Chinese music and software piracy.
He shrugged his shoulders. "We all copy one another," he said with a smile. "That's why so many modern cars look the same. The real issue is quality and style."
He climbed into the driving seat and scrutinised the interior. "The plastic could be a bit better," he said, pointing to a near-invisible blemish. And the new-car smell is not quite right."
Apparently, that is really important.
"But give them five years and they'll be a strong competitor for Renault. I've no doubt of that."

Outward vision

At the luxury end of the market - among the admirers of a shiny, red, Ferrari-like Chinese sports car, with a scorpion emblem instead of the famous prancing horse, I came across Hideichi Misono, the former chief designer for Toyota.
I expected him to be amused by all the copying. But instead I found him worried about the future of the Japanese motor industry.

Why? Because he says the Japanese design students he now teaches are all inward-looking, focused on Japan, while the students he teaches in China want to design for the world.
"If you watch their eyes while I talk to them," he told me, "you'd be deeply impressed. They look outwards and want to be world-level car designers. And they'll catch up very quickly."

In technology, one Chinese company is already ahead. With triumphant music, billowing smoke and a troupe of flamboyant dancers in white quasi-military uniforms, BYD launched its latest car, powered by a battery design so revolutionary that Warren Buffet, America's most famous investor, has put $250m (£170m) into the company.
I suddenly realised that, in the auto show, I was looking at a microcosm of China's high-speed industrial revolution, its quick-step march from next-to-nothing to manufacturing for the world.

But there was one last puzzle, why so few of the Chinese-branded cars are now exported.
Back at the highway by Tiananmen Square, Rick Hall had an explanation for that.
"There's so much demand for cars inside China now," he told me, "the new makers don't need to export.
"But just you wait until they decide to, which won't be long. Then you're going to see some real competition".

In Australia that process has already begun because last year Rick started importing Chinese-branded vehicles for the first time. And, he says, his customers love them.
Image We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby Woodsman » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:43 pm

I, too love the bike. Man that is really nice. Cops won't know they are illegal. As Ktrout says, I hit 45 on my bikes downhill too - no problem...and just a little faster on the motorcycle :-D.

The Chinese might as well sell their vehicles over here...They've seemingly got every other consumer market locked up.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!