Netbooks?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Netbooks?

Postby thewalrus » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:52 pm

In my opinion tablets are useless for the kind of purpose that the original poster requested... The vast majority of tablets don't run real OSes (iOS is a locked down, highly restricted OS). The tablets that -do- run real desktop OSes (OSX, Win7, Linux) are expensive and have short battery lives, and the desktop OS generally doesn't handle finger input well, being designed for use with a mouse or touchpad. Without a real keyboard, an OS that allows you access to the guts of the OS, and a real set of I/O ports a tablet is an entirely different class of machine more akin to an eBook reader.

The whole point of a netbook is that it costs $300 to $350 max. If it's $350 or less you're not going to fret excessively if it's stolen or destroyed. $799 or $899 is not a netbook, it's a subnotebook. If you're paying $899 you might as well go up a step further and buy a 13" unibody macbook pro, which has a real world 7.5 to 8.0 hour battery life and can be equipped with a really nice spec as a mobile workstation (4GB or 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD + 80GB or 160GB SSD mounted in the optical drive bay in a $40 adapter), and costs <$1400.
thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:00 am

Tablets are shit - they are for the Starbucks crowd that wants to show off when they update their Facebook status

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby coldharvest » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:45 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:they are for the Starbucks crowd that wants to show off when they update their Facebook status

so......most of humanity then.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Rhah » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:36 pm

thewalrus wrote:The whole point of a netbook is that it costs $300 to $350 max. If it's $350 or less you're not going to fret excessively if it's stolen or destroyed. $799 or $899 is not a netbook, it's a subnotebook. If you're paying $899 you might as well go up a step further and buy a 13" unibody macbook pro, which has a real world 7.5 to 8.0 hour battery life and can be equipped with a really nice spec as a mobile workstation (4GB or 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD + 80GB or 160GB SSD mounted in the optical drive bay in a $40 adapter), and costs <$1400.

You hit the nail square on the head. I have a $1400 Macbook Pro and I love it........but I'm also not going to risk fucking it up, stolen(nothing says steal me more than a shiny Mac product), etc etc. Plus I don't need all the shit on it for traveling.

Again I really appreciate all the input from everyone.
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:43 am

coldharvest wrote:
JamesInTheWorld wrote:they are for the Starbucks crowd that wants to show off when they update their Facebook status

Ha, still on a roll

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby coldharvest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:02 am

JamesInTheWorld wrote:
coldharvest wrote:

Ha, still on a roll

~JITW

I'll be here all week....try the salad-bar.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!