Netbooks?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Netbooks?

Postby Rhah » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:33 pm

I tried searching the board and didn't find anything, so if this is a repeat mea culpa.

What are you guys & gals using? What's good? Anything I should flat out avoid? They seem really f'ing cheap, I've seen 'em for a couple hundred.

-Rhah
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Re: Netbooks?

Postby redharen » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:44 am

They're probably changing too fast for my specific info to be of any use (regarding my ASUS Eee PC 901), but I can tell you what I like about mine, and maybe you can look for something similar/better.

The ASUS is super-portable -- it's about the size of a paperback book and it weighs about 2 lbs, so I take it everywhere in my bag. It is solid-state and has no moving parts, so (and this may be dumb) I throw it around quite a bit and I never worry about it. I've had it for about a year and a half now and have had no problems with it. I can run it for something like 5 hours on a charge, which is awesome. It runs Linux rather than Windows, which means its limited memory doesn't get blown up by a bunch of stuff I don't want, need, or use, and it's completely compatible with the Windows-based PCs I use every day at home and work. And running Linux means you can press the power button and be completely up and running in about 15 seconds.

I think the 9" screens are getting less common because people don't like the small keyboards, but I've gotten used to typing on it, and in the end, I think the portability is more than worth it. I mean, I've taken it backpacking. So I'd just focus on making it small, light, and durable, and try to maximize the free space in what little memory you'll have, or buy SD cards or something in case you find yourself wanting to save a whole bunch of photos and videos.
redharen
small ax

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:37 pm

I have one of these

(NOTE: Not my picture)

I used it for about 3 months before I went back to a real laptop – it was just too much of a pain to type on the little pad, and the battery life isn’t really much better than a laptop and you cant use Photoshop on it)

A full sized laptop really isn’t that much of a pain to lug around the world - I pack a 17" laptop around the 3rd world to War Zones to Virginia

Laptops are like Sugar, Salt, Bacon and Lard – they just can’t be replaced

NOTE: The Sony UMPC would probably be great if you are just checking your email, going to Facebook, updating your blog and doing word processing

~James G
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Woodsman » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:11 pm

Asus 1005-HAP. 10.1" laptop. This thing is awesome - but almost a year old now - I am certain there is something probably as small but faster, more memory and overall better by now. Still, 10 hours continuous use on a battery, solid keyboard and nice compact screen with several viewing options - I love this little baby P.C. to go.

I have a powered USB hub to run all the gizmos.

Other people I have talked to recently are running much of their shit on smartphones (droid, Iphone, htc) using Bluetooth keyboards. I think those little devices are awesome - I'd have one by now if I wasn't so far in the boonies and their plans were less limiting (I use far more than the 2 gig/month limit set by most of those companies for wifi points/tethering).
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:55 pm

I have the same one as Woodsman, and I've been really happy with it so far. The only thing I did was increase the RAM to 2GB. Next year I think I'm going to pick up a Nokia N8.

James, do they still make those?
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Rhah » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:56 pm

Thanks everyone. I looked at Asus's stuff and that looks to be the direction I'm going to go, but I'll have to look up the Nokia (if they're still around) just to compare. I like the idea of the solid state it's seem to be pretty durable.

JITW: that Sony looks pretty badass, but yeah I need a bit more.

-Rhah
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:04 am

Rhah wrote:Thanks everyone. I looked at Asus's stuff and that looks to be the direction I'm going to go, but I'll have to look up the Nokia (if they're still around) just to compare. I like the idea of the solid state it's seem to be pretty durable.

JITW: that Sony looks pretty badass, but yeah I need a bit more.

-Rhah

FYI, the Nokia I referred to above is a phone that's not out yet.

http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products/phones/nokia-n8

However, they do have a netbook:

http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products/phones/nokia-n8
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:35 am

Chimborazo wrote:James, do they still make those?

Not sure - but any UMPC will do, they all run on the same software and have about the same processing power, I would actually suggest that you stay away from Sony cuz you are paying an extra 30% just for the name

Just search "UMPC" at amazon

RAH: What are you going to use your notebook for - if I knew that I could make a better suggestion

But I still say just lug your laptop around - Cuz that's what you will end up doing anyway after trying every gadget like I did - nothing beats a laptop

JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby Rhah » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:31 pm

JITW: I wanted something to travel with. Inside the U.S. I'll just lug my laptop around, outside I really don't want to. I can't replace all the stuff on it. I figured I'd get something like a netbook to travel with to do the mundane shit online without risking my laptop. I might be repeating myself but there is a 600 Lb gorilla here that forced me to drink 50000 Rolling Rock's last night.....fuckin a

Rhah
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:37 pm

just have one of those "one button back up" hard drives - that's what i use, when i charge up my laptop at night i just plug that in also - too easy

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby thewalrus » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:42 pm

Every UMPC I've seen so far has really poor battery life, like 3 hours or less. There's a reason why they haven't caught on outside of Japan...

If you just want a netbook as a network terminal while traveling somewhere sketchy, go to Newegg and find whatever is the best spec (I suggest ASUS or MSI) for $299, with a 7 hour+ battery life. Many netbooks can be greatly improved by doubling the RAM from 1GB to 2GB. Install Ubuntu 10.04 i386 on it.
thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Postby thewalrus » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:16 pm

Based on the specs, price and battery life I would recommend this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834220678

For web browsing, install the latest Chromium build and use the fullscreen mode to make the most of the meager 600 pixel vertical resolution. There's also a fullscreen mode in Firefox v3.6.9.
thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:17 am

I have an Acer that has worked very well for me as long as I don't tax it too much with uploading big files on a slow wireless...

Here it is in Italy working hard on my behalf...things I like - pretty impressive battery life (I have 6 cell battery) compared to my full size laptop. I don't like the screen as much though - bad in outdoor light. Screen size is OK - 10.1". I use it with a wireless mouse and the keyboard doesn't feel too cramped - so its comfortable to use. Its a pretty red color. Since my workplace discourages use of non-work related web browsing I have this set up there with my aircard avoiding any workplace network use. I've been very pleased with its performance and its way tiny to haul around.

Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:59 am

thewalrus wrote:Every UMPC I've seen so far has really poor battery life, like 3 hours or less. There's a reason why they haven't caught on outside of Japan...

Yep – I wish I had never bought that Sony UMPC, fucking waste of money

svizzerams wrote:I have an Acer that has worked very well for me

Acer is hands-down the best value for money in laptops that can take a beating and keep on going

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby Fansy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:15 pm

alienware's m11 is netbook size and battery life (5+ hours) but with enough specs to run normal shit and good external display options to boot ($799-$899):

at bestbuy:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alienware+- ... &cp=1&lp=1

the alienware m11x is the same deal/size, but with the newer i5/i7 cores ($1000-$1200):

http://www.dell.com/content/products/pr ... dhs&~ck=mn

either way, you have bout the size and battery power of a netbook but with the specs of a real computer (if not a real good computer). if you're planning to do anything for real on it, get one of these machines. they are awesome. i got an m11 and if m11x is around in a year, I'll be picking that up too.

having used a netbook vs this, its worth the price difference unless you just do not have the money. then get a laptop for $400-500 anyways. netbooks are worthless now that pads are out and many laptops cost the same.
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!