Anyone able to recommend Knife Sharpening Kits?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Anyone able to recommend Knife Sharpening Kits?

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:38 pm

coldharvest wrote:
JamesInTheWorld wrote:I am always right

That must be so liberating.

It is

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Spinscan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:57 am

I use a Sharpmaker. It's cheap, portable and works.
Spinscan

Postby Caliban » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:38 pm

sdg wrote:What do you guys use for field-sharpening?

a ceramic rod
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby swordpoint9 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:32 pm

The Gatco looks just like My Lansky sharpener, I bought in 1986 ! Was Lansky bought out or is their patent up ?
Hit it with your purse!!!
swordpoint9
BFCus Regularus

Postby sdg » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:27 am

One of my coworker has a Gatco kit (looks a lot like the Lansky). I've been messing with it for the past week and can't decide if I like it or not. It seems to me that the "fine" hone is too coarse for finish work. I can't seem to get blades shaving sharp. But, it's very possible that it's just me and that I'm still in learning curve... gonna keep trying to improve my skills on it.

I'm also considering a Wicked Edge kit but by the time you get the extra hones that people say you need, you'll have at least $350 into it which is way to much. I might be able to swallow the $200 discounted price tag but would hate to get the basic kit and be unhappy with it.
-Steve
sdg

Postby swordpoint9 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:38 am

I always use a leather strop with My Lansky to finish the blade !
Hit it with your purse!!!
swordpoint9
BFCus Regularus

Postby sdg » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:46 am

I use a leather strop as well but just ain't happy with the results. Again, it could just be user error.
-Steve
sdg

Postby Omega » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:16 pm

There are so many good sharpeners that it is really hard to get it wrong. I like my Spyderco Tri Angle because it is so easy to use and it is very compact, but I will agree that Lansky has some advantages over Tri Angle. Still I will perhaps go with Tri Angle because it is just too easy to use. However, it won't probably much matter to me - I nowadays use Gatco Tri Seps simply because it is compact. Plus I have Buck diamond sharpener (also very small) and a stone to sharpen razors.
A good practice would be to try to sharpen knives using stones found in nature...
Omega
mach

Postby ROMAD_25 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:22 pm

Had the Gatco Sharpening System for years, but after getting the Wicked Edge Precision Sharpener from a friend I say "FUCK GATCO".

Scary sharp and so fucking easy to use.

ROMAD_25
BFCus Regularus

Postby toxictraveller » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:37 pm

About knife sharpening:

Just thought I would throw my two cents into the mix. So far very good advice being posted about various kits and products. I own, and hand sharpen all of my knives myself. I have found many good sharpening systems and have learned a few things the salesmen might not tell you.

If you are getting a blade jig sharpening system like the Lansky or Gatco setups, consider the shape of the knives you are sharpening. that will make a difference. Also if you are opting for a ceramic stone look into how best to clean the steel particles off the stone. over time it will load up and become 'slippery'. this will actually dull a knife instead of sharpen it. I have also noticed that certain steels (harder, or exotic) tend to leave behind a more troublesome particle than a regular carbon steel on ceramic sharpening rods. Stropping with leather for a finished edge is always the icing on the cake, if you want that smooth polish cutting edge.

Cheers,
Z
toxictraveller
mach

Postby db36046 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:34 am

I use an Arkansas stone, two sides to it. After using the finer side I strop the edge on a piece of corrugated cardboard every so often. This seems to work pretty well even for my K-BAR. The stone is a little heavy for backpacking so I just use it when I get back home. The side of a leather boot works in the field to maintain the edge after chopping firewood, etc.
db36046
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lafayette » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:27 pm

I’m using an Apex EdgePro. Does someone know pros/cons VS the Gatco?

The magnetic table of the Apex is nice but I’m wondering if the fixed claws of the Gatco are actually better?
Lafayette

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!