What do you wear on your Back?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: What do you wear on your Back?

Postby marie-angelique » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:33 pm

i love wool. i have a hard time finding wool that isn't itchy. i bought a wool blend from outdoor research and it smells terrible. if i could find a really soft (black) merino wool sweater you can wash in the sink i would buy it.

i am a big fan of things made of schoeller fabric. http://www.schoeller-textiles.com/ i have a black hoodie i bought at the slovenian version of mec that works great. and the black doesn't show dirt.

i wear silk long johns, a windshirt from marmot, and the shell. wool coats are too bulky for my tiny luggage.
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:16 pm

i wear silk long johns

Hmmmmmm.....
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby marie-angelique » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:49 pm

"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:24 pm

The link shows a top but no bottoms. Hmmmmmmmm.........
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby marie-angelique » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:36 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:The link shows a top but no bottoms. Hmmmmmmmm.........

well you gotta save weight in your luggage somehow...

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Zakalwe » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:46 pm

Black diamond makes great packs for not too much cashish. If money is no object, Mystery Ranch is the shit. Founder was the former owner of Dana Design. They make a variety of packs for both civilian and military applications, and can customize if needed for more. Have two packs from them, one a pretty good sized mountaineering pack and then a pretty specialized pack they designed for me.
Zakalwe

Postby bearanddragon » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:59 pm

Kurt wrote:I wear wool.

Even when I travel places. Nothing beats it when it is suprise-wet-&-cold out and you have places to be and commitments to keep. Plus it won't melt if you stand too close to a fire to keep even warmer.

My best traveling coat was a $2 second hand heavyweight wool one. I had it from 1992 to 2001 ...it just wore out too badly by then.

I'm inclined to agree with kurt. a cheap product can often be about 95% effective as a product 100 times the cost. back when i could honestly call myself a grunt, i'd roll around on patrol in iraq with cheap chinese knock-off gear (not body armor or medical equipment, of course, but accessories like pouches, camelback holders, scarves, etc.) and guess what? it worked. and i didn't care about preserving it, or caring for it, because it was dirt cheap and i didn't have to turn it in. when i backpacked, i bought clothes off the street for cheap, and often discarded it rather than worry about laundering it. if you have access to markets and stores, it might be the way to go. plus, then you don't stand out as that better-than-thou guy with money.

it's not about the brand, it's about how you make it work for you. some of the best equipment i've seen was jerry-rigged. i've seen everything from slings made out of paracord to duct-taped (new) clothes or gear. i personally use an old medical cravat, which doubles up as a scarf, neck warmer, headband, washrag, bandage, and cravat if i ever need one. i've also seen guys that buy the latest and greatest. they end up looking more like blackhawk ninjas than anything.
You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Pecker! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:24 pm

Bear and Dragon wrote:
when i backpacked i bought clothes off the street

Hippy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby kilroy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:04 pm

i hate wool. it is very good at what it does, keeping you warm, but it's heavy (especially when wet), a bitch to pack or stow, and it doesn't keep you dry i heavy moisture. i prefer down with a synthetic shell.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Caliban » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:31 am

With the current inclement weather,bizarre for this area, in this country, but it was the coldest place in the UK the night before last at - 18 with completely still air, so no wind chill involved either ....yet ! and average day time temperatures -7 to -10 I am finding my newly acquired North Face MacMurdo parka to be fanfucking tastic, all the better that I got it for less than half price on ebay. Generous in their sizing, comfortable, very warm and what appears to be a good hard wearing material. Welldesigned with generous pockets and toggles etc for ease of use when wearing gloves. The cold is stopped in its tracks by the duvet type body of the coat.

And talking of tracks I have found that as the snow has compacted and frozen the boots that are warmest and have the best grip on the ice are a pair of Oakley Tactical six desert boots,I have not slipped once wearing them were other people are sliding all over the place. Complete surprise to me but they are much better than walking and other pairs of boots that I would normally wear in these conditions and at face value appear more suited to the conditions.Don't know whether the Oakley uppers would have withstood the dampness of the couple of feet of snow when it first fell and anyway I was wearing a more suitable pair of rubber topped "ice" walking boots then,(not sure ofthe make) but on the compacted stuff theOakleys are faultless and beat the ice boots completely.

Who'd have thunk it ??
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby AztecDave » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:03 am

Just got a TAD Gear Ranger Hoodie. Very well made. Only downside is that is very pricey. Got the color that is close to the Army fleece issued. That thing is weak - not real warm & wind howls right thru it. The TAD hoodie has a tighter weave fleece - practically windproof. And very warm. Also more practically cut w/ better pockets. Could take or leave the hoodie part.

http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Appare ... ger-Hoodie
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:56 am

AztecDave wrote:Just got a TAD Gear Ranger Hoodie.

I think it is funny that people who buy TAD make fun of women who buy expensive designer purses

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby AztecDave » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:07 am

JamesInTheWorld wrote:
AztecDave wrote:Just got a TAD Gear Ranger Hoodie.

I think it is funny that people who buy TAD make fun of women who buy expensive designer purses

~JITW

i wouldn't laugh at TAD Gear. Better than anything else out there. Was passing thru BAF a week ago & caught in the 3 day snowstorm that grounded everything. My TAD hoodie was my only outerwear. Covered in snow & still warm & dry inside. Can't say that about any other soft shell out there. Me thinks yer envy is 'cause I can afford one. And you can't?
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:15 am

They probably wouldn't give him any freebies for DVM so he's all pissy.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby bombaclot » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:09 am

I bought a landsend squall parka, originaly 150.00, but I got it in the overstock section for 49 bucks. It's made for -25 degree weather and it's waterproof. It's not too bulky either, and it comes in OD green. It fits perfectly in my Sitka gearslinger, wich isn't too big. It keeps me warm and dry in all conditions. At 49 bucks I coudnt pass it up, and I don't care if I ruin it. It's only 49 bucks, and it has a great warranty. One of the best jackets I've ever owned. Never considered buying anything by landsend but I'm glad I pulled the trigger on this. With my wool beenie, my landsend jacket, and my wool bum gloves, I'm unstopable.
bombaclot

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!