Suggestions for Good Cameras For DP Travel???

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Suggestions for Good Cameras For DP Travel???

Postby suwon fish » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:26 am

vetparatrooper wrote:Well man, maybe someone will eventually read our questions and come back with some ideas....after all, the exspurts are all supposed to be rye-cheer on this here forum!!! Guess we will see. Meanwhile if you hear of anything from anyplace else let me know.

My dead camera was an Olympus FE-320. The size of a pack of cards and 8 megapixels. Maybe not the best in the world but because of it's size I always had it on me making it (to my mind) better than any DSLR safely stowed in my hotel room when the photo op arrived.

It is currently in an Olympus service center and I am praying for it to have a new lease of life. It's not really the price of a new camera, just, that camera and I had adventures together...

If it turns out to be fucked I will probably go the Canon Powershot route. I had a model years ago that took great shots before it died. I guess I got 4 years out of it.
A day should not be praised until the Sun has set, a woman until she is burned, a sword until it's tested, ice until it's crossed or beer until it's drunk - Viking proverb
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:24 am

better than any DSLR safely stowed in my hotel room when the photo op arrived.

Who the fuck would cough up all that money for a camera you leave in your room?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby suwon fish » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:13 am

rickshaw92 wrote:Who the fuck would cough up all that money for a camera you leave in your room?

What I liked about my little camera was that it rode permanently on my hip in a pouch along with my cheap ass mobile. So small and light I never knew I had it until I saw something worth snapping. I am sure that if I travelled with a DSLR I would take it for days specifically earmarked for photos like palaces, Angor Wat, floating villages/markets etc but I would miss out on thousands of random opportunities.

I also think carrying a big camera bag with heavy camera would undermine my usual mission while wandering SE Asia. A pro looking camera might be more intimidating for the people I snap too...

There is no right or wrong here, just personal taste
A day should not be praised until the Sun has set, a woman until she is burned, a sword until it's tested, ice until it's crossed or beer until it's drunk - Viking proverb
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:09 pm

agreed, for every super amazing shot I get with the DSLR I miss about 200. Plus the new POS cameras take such great pics and without all the hassle. Sigh.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby svizzerams » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:32 pm

Panasonic Lumix LX5 (I have owned each LX model that has come out - last trip I used the LX3 - just got the LX5) or Panasonic Lumix ZS7 - my favorite compact cameras. Great Leica lens - lots of features. Both do HD video. the ZS7 also has the GPS tagging (very useful for finding where I was on a recent visit along the Thai Burma border areas). The images are amazing with both. The ZS7 has 12x zoom. The LX5 only 3.8x but I think is the better camera overall esp. for portrait, detailed fotos. I carry both for this reason.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby vetparatrooper » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:57 pm

I like the one I got...featured earlier in this thread. It is exactly the length of my MP3 Player and only about a half inch thicker. It is light and portable and with a 16MB SSD card I should be able to max out the picture thing. It was not that expensive even with overnight shipping and the pics it has taken so far are pretty good...it is a decent camera. I think I should be alright with it but thanks for all the suggestions.
Conlige suspectos semper habitos
vetparatrooper
BFCus Regularus

Location: Mountains somewhere in the Appalachians (other than that, my exact location is nobody's bizness)

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:48 pm

vetparatrooper wrote:I like the one I got...featured earlier in this thread. It is exactly the length of my MP3 Player and only about a half inch thicker. It is light and portable and with a 16MB SSD card I should be able to max out the picture thing. It was not that expensive even with overnight shipping and the pics it has taken so far are pretty good...it is a decent camera. I think I should be alright with it but thanks for all the suggestions.

This one?

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby vetparatrooper » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:54 pm

no, the one I got is the HP PW550 I posted a pic of on the first page. It was affrdable has a wide screen and takes good enough pics and won't kill me if I lose it as long as I dont lose the SSD cards as well
Conlige suspectos semper habitos
vetparatrooper
BFCus Regularus

Location: Mountains somewhere in the Appalachians (other than that, my exact location is nobody's bizness)

Postby RYP » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:05 am

Panasonic LX3 has it over all others. Small, great wide open, RAW if you need it, great chip. Cool b&W mode. The 3/4 version with interchangeable lenses might be the shizzle but I haven't tried it yet. Its big too.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby RAH » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:16 am

DPreview likes this new one by Olympus (the XZ1) a lot. Just had a review.

Strong body, Zuiko lens 28-112mm f1.8~2.5 maximum aperture. Just a little bigger than S95 or LX3, does RAW and has built in ND filter

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusXZ1/
RAH
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:39 pm

I have a soft spot for the new really expensive old school cameras. They look like you bought a $15 dollar goodwill camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilmx100/

http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/fuji ... ntpage.jpg
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Royal » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:52 pm

RYP wrote:I have a soft spot for the new really expensive old school cameras. They look like you bought a $15 dollar goodwill camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilmx100/
http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/fuji ... ntpage.jpg

Love that retro look.
1200'ish bucks...Mmm.

Tempting, but don't use a camera for leisure much. This might change that.
I never got around to buying the G11, but was still planning to.

RYP.
If I had your money I'd give all mine away.
If I buy a H E S T with you throw in this little looker?
Image We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby thewalrus » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:14 am

Here's a vote for the Canon SD1400IS, it is really freaking tiny, get great battery life, and records 720p video. Search youtube for SD1400IS and look at some sample videos, it's amazing something barely larger than a Nokia 1100 $20 mobile phone takes video of such high quality.
thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Postby buffybot_in_beirut » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:13 pm

The Canon G9 and successor models seem half okay. What range is there now...? G10, G11, I think even G12. Not cheap, but coming from analog photography I want my digial pictures to have at least 3 to 4 MB of data in in in a medium-quality .jpg shot. The camera feels like a solid little brick, with plenty of real buttons and dials instead of touch-screen shit. It's surprisingly heavy, which is also a good sign. I do not like the motor-driven zoom lenses in digital cameras, which invariably sound and feel as if they are going to break down any second. It really sucks you cannot attach filters - took me only a few weeks to scratch the lens of my G10. The flimsy plastic display surface on the back seems another weak point. But perhaps these things are more robust than they look? Nonetheless, my policy is to treat all my electronics like raw eggs, bite the bullet and buy a new item if one dies, and generally hope that defects do not happen at the most inconvenient time.
buffybot_in_beirut
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:14 pm

I'm going to weigh in for the Pentax W90. It's half the price of the Panasonic Lumix and looks a lot less expensive (which is useful when you're flashing it on the street). It's also got some really great digital features like panoramic photo stitching and good image stabilisation. Plus I haven't broken mine yet, which is more than I can say for my Panasonic SDR-SW21 shockproof / dustproof / waterproof video camera. Turns out it doesn't like the water here in Angola!
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!