Camera Chestpack

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Camera Chestpack

Postby JarheadJournalist » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:30 pm

I have been letting my camera hang from my neck or putting it away in my camera backpack for a long time now. That sucked. When hiking or on deployments it is either swinging around, getting in the way or bumping into things, or it is in my pack and by the time I get it out the moment is gone. I don't want my camera breaking on me or being inaccessible. I have been looking at these Clik Elite chestpacks for a while now. I didn't want to pay $90 for one, but I recently came across a used one (it was a display model) on eBay for $40. It's in great condition and suits my needs perfectly. It isn't something I would wear around town when doing the tourist thing, but it is great for camping, hiking or down range BS. It makes getting to my camera easy as well as getting to spare batteries and memory cards.

If you want Peace, prepare for Warren.
JarheadJournalist

Re: Camera Chestpack

Postby coldharvest » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:46 pm

nice one
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby RYP » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:22 pm

less pack, more camera gear?

RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby JarheadJournalist » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:47 pm

I have been letting my camera hang for years, but I have broken a few and just got aggravated when they bang on shit or get in the way when I am climbing or moving fast. If my camera is broken, there is no point in me being there. I sure as hell don't go to fucked up places for fun. I used the bottle holder you see on the side of my daypack to hold a long lens.

Over the years I have grown accustom to the added weight of my packs. If you want to go minimalist, go ahead. As for me, I want my laptop, BGAN, satphone, clean underwear, babywipes, toiletries and some food and water with me to go along with my weapon. Not sure how you do things, but I have been away from water sources and food supplies for days.

I can find a place to sit after an event and send the images and story back to the editors without returning to a FOB. Train with the gear on and it becomes part of you.
JarheadJournalist

Postby RYP » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:00 pm

There are some embryonic consumer chest rigs appearing. My point was that all that new stuff really does get in the way of taking pics. I have too much crap as it is and I am thinking of dumping my Nikon D700 stuff and picking one of the new 3/4 systems. When you physically have to hump that stuff in 120 degree heat and watch it turn into electronic paperweights...it gets expensive and makes you rethink the gear line up. I worked for years with a M6 and two lenses. Hate film now so I may to to M9 (waaaay too expensive) and and small storage viewing device (I have the new small Air Mac)

I already ditched my sexy zoom anchors (which are great but not for the field) and bought old manual Nikon lenses. Also looking at putting my Leica lenses with an adaptor on the Panasonic 3/4 format.
RYP

Postby coldharvest » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:04 pm

RYP wrote:Also looking at putting my Leica lenses with an adaptor on the Panasonic 3/4 format.

which Panasonic?
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby JarheadJournalist » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:15 pm

I totally agree with you there. I have been looking hard at the micro four thirds (I think we are talking about the same thing) models from both Panasonic and Sony. I have been hesitant since they don't naturally have optical viewfinders and looking at a screen to compose images sucks balls in daylight. Also, I kind of want to give them a generation to gets shit together.

That said, it is definitely the way to go. They are packing the same sensors into tiny ass cameras. I still need that other stuff, but it is all getting smaller too. Some of the satphone come with decent data deals and my shop is actually thinking about ditching the BGANs and using the satphone for com and data transmission. I'm all for it. Netbook, satphone and a micro 4/3 - all you need for writing, editing images and transmitting. That can all be had at around five pounds. That's about 10 less than what I am carrying now for the same capability.
JarheadJournalist

Postby RYP » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:35 pm

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemca ... index.html

supposedly the "world's smallest and lightest camera system" (Hey no Minox??) Its 14 megaguidos and does HD video. Not bad.

yes you lose a lot of that ergonomics and pro rapid action but if you had to hump for a few days in the jungle. every ounce counts. I can pretty much Svizz will have purchased it before I finish typing this.

http://dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcgf2/

Forgot to mention. You buy an slide on optical finder, dont use the screen. Thats for playback

PR:

Panasonic has finally announced US pricing for the (much anticipated) GF2, their second generation micro four thirds camera with interchangeable lenses. The current MSRP is $499.95 for body alone; $599.95 for body plus 14 – 42mm GF2K lens; and $699.95 for body plus 14mm prime GF2C lens.

The new micro 4/3 cameras produce dSLR quality photos/experience/capabilities with the ability to exchange lenses in a lightweight, compact, form-factor. Panasonic is one of many camera manufactures who are producing this class of digital cameras.
RYP

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:31 am

I sure as hell don't go to fucked up places for fun.

Why would you? Everyone knows its all about the shits and giggles.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby JarheadJournalist » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:46 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:
I sure as hell don't go to fucked up places for fun.

Why would you? Everyone knows its all about the shits and giggles.

I certainly got the shits part down while visiting a few, but there wasn't much giggling while spending hours on a shitter with an IV in my arm.
JarheadJournalist

Postby JarheadJournalist » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:51 pm

RYP wrote:Image

Forgot to mention. You buy an slide on optical finder, dont use the screen. Thats for playback

After doing some research, I am torn between the Panasonic above and the Olympus E-PL2. Both seem to be nice options, but I am not sure if I could get used to using a touch screen for controls. A friend just agreed to buy my Nikon D90 and lens, so that will be used to fund the next camera purchase which will likely be one of the two I just mentioned. I'm keeping my D700 for times when the weight won't come into play.

I haven't used a 4/3 camera with one of the optional view finders. Does the thing voom with the lens to give an accurate framing reference?
JarheadJournalist

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:00 pm

RYP wrote:Image.

Oooooo... Me likey!

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby RYP » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:24 pm

nothing 'vooms" with a fixed optical finder...that's the point.. YOU have to voom :))

Yes zooms are handy but they don't get you closer, I shoot a 14 - 24 up close, real close. I don't even look in the finder. ON tele shots they are marginally handy but the point is never break eye contact with your subject.

RYP

Postby JarheadJournalist » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:15 pm

We apparently have different philosophies. Mine's the right one be the way ;) I don't want my subjects to know I am there. Obviously, this is an impossibility. But, if I keep taking pictures or just pretending to long enough, they eventually tire of posturing for the camera and go about their business. I want to be forgotten and make as small of a footprint on the scene as possible. I don't want to show people what happens when a photog is there. I want them to see what was naturally happening since the image isn't about me at all.

I do agree with you on the foot-zoom idea. I love to get close with a wide/medium lens.

My question should have been made clearer but I think I got the answer I needed anyway. I was wondering if looking through the view finder with say a 50mm lens attached results in me seeing, through the finder, the same image as what will be captured on the sensor/film? Since you used the word "fixed" I am assuming it only shows the same image as one size lens and no others.
JarheadJournalist

Postby RYP » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:32 pm

these people know I am there. Perhaps that's why I take pictures wherever I go.

The technical answer to your question is simple but complex. You should be able to feel the light, see the frame, and predict the end result based the lens you selected, fstop you fixed, shutter speed you want and the ASA you require.. and then take the exact picture you want when your subject wants to give it you.

Too many people fuss with the camera or stare at a viewfinder, because they are afraid to look past the lens into the person's soul. But that is where your photograph is waiting.

When you and your subject want a great picture it will happen.
RYP

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!