Camera Chestpack

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Camera Chestpack

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:13 pm

Dude, do you walk around with a knife strapped to your chest?

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby RYP » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:27 pm

better than stuck in his chest. James its a "lookit muh gear" shot...you of all people should swoon at the gearness of it all...

That's why I sent my "shit, were is my gear shot" in reply

Here is my RYP tactical look in a Colombian flash bang, live fire, cardboard terrorist kill house. Yes the soldier in front of me shot himself. And yes mea culpa, I am looking in the damn finder ;))

RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby JarheadJournalist » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:02 pm

Nice images, RYP.

And, yes I do walk around with a knife strapped to my chest and an M4 hanging in front from time to time with full body armor on. Sometimes, I even ride around in an armored vehicle with a fully automatic grenade launcher on top or a ship with massive artillery guns. But, don't let that fool you. I am just a photojournalist and have never fired a weapon in anger, except for that time I missed a deer and madly shot into the woods.
If you want Peace, prepare for Warren.
JarheadJournalist

Postby JarheadJournalist » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:24 pm

They didn't know I was there.

JarheadJournalist

Postby JarheadJournalist » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:30 pm

I am not dismissing your photo philosophy by any means. It is just the first time in my career as a photog that I have heard some one think like that. I am certain my photojournalism professors would have evicted me from the college for such blasphemy. However, I didn't agree with a lot of shit they taught. They think/preach that journalist should influence a scene as little as possible. So much so, they would say it is unethical to ask a subject to "look over here," or push a leaf out of the way to get an shot. If it is in my way, I move it.
JarheadJournalist

Postby RYP » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:01 am

cool pics. I also did not mean that one way was better than the other.

People ask my advice (fools!), I can only tell em what I know based on what I do. If someone wanted to do weddings, cars, papparazzi or studio. I would just shrug. Up close is all I know. I like the Leica 19mm and bought the Panasonic cuz it had a 24mm equivalent Bought the 14 on the Nikon D700. Longest lens I have is a 180

Post more pics if you want always interested in the back story!
RYP

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:42 am

RYP wrote:Post more pics if you want always interested in the back story!

please do - feel free to start your own thread in the photographs section - i would love to see more.
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby JarheadJournalist » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:31 am

RYP wrote:I like the Leica 19mm and bought the Panasonic cuz it had a 24mm equivalent Bought the 14 on the Nikon D700. Longest lens I have is a 180

Post more pics if you want always interested in the back story!

Do you already have a 4/3 Panasonic? I have decided to definitely get a 4/3, but I think I am going to get the Olympus E-PL2 when it comes out. I would love a couple Leica lenses to go with it, but the only way that'll happen is if I steal them or find a good deal on some secondhand ones. (hint hint) I have seen a couple on eBay for decent price and according to the descriptions they are in decent shape, but I am not comfortable with buying used camera gear online. Maybe if there is a return policy I'll go for it.

I'll post more pics later in the photography forum.

The little girls and the family picture I posted were from an Earthquake in Jogyakarta, Indonesia.

I was passed out drunk in bed when my gunny beat on my door at about 2 in the morning, the day of the quake. He said grab your gear, you are heading to Indonesia. We landed there within about 24 hours of the first quake and were there for many of the aftershocks. I believe we were the first westerners to arrive besides the ones already living there. I didn't see any other media for days.

There were 12 of us in the advanced party. Mostly we were there to assess the situation to determine what we needed the body of our assistance team to bring. There were a couple of Air Force officers on board, the rest were Navy and Marine Corps. When I asked the Air Force guys why they were there, they said they needed to do test on the runway to see if it could be fixed and if it could handle large planes like the C-130 we were in. The runway had a huge crack running down the center of it. This is the runway we landed on. Thank god for Navy pilots. They got skills.

As soon as we landed I headed to the closest hospital. That is where I got the family shot above. I had to step over bodies of the dead and injured to get into the hospital. Saying it was overwhelmed is a gross understatement. The halls, parking lot and even the sidewalk had patients wait fruitlessly for help. People were carrying their loved ones in on carpets, bicycles and scooters. That damn place has more bikes than I have ever seen. Since I work for a government news outlet, we didn't publish any of the really gruesome stuff. I will post some later in the photo forum if you want.

I later learn that hospital had the first case of human to human contraction of bird flu just weeks before I got there.

We later set up a field ER/OR and clinic a few miles south of the city. People poured in needing everything from simple inoculations to trauma surgery. That is where the smiling girl picture came from. She was being treated for burns to her back.

One of the biggest problems was tetanus. Unlike in the US, they don't get the same standardized shots we westerners do and it resulted in tetanus epidemic two weeks after the quake. Apparently two weeks is the incubation period for that disease. Watching a man completely paralyzed by every muscle in his body "cramping" is one of the saddest things I have ever seen. He was completely aware of everything yet couldn't move and was in massive amounts of pain while being fed with tubes. They had ran out of pain meds. The heart is the last thing to seize up, so he looked like he was frozen in a position of a person who was being shocked by high voltage until he died.

After a week, other media outlets showed up. This is when my job changed from journalist to public affairs rep. I mostly gave tours of our compound (ER and clinic) and gave statements to the visiting reporters.

After two months we retrograded our stuff and stayed at hotel until a plane arrived to bring us home to Okinawa Japan. This is when I stopped taking the malaria pills and others meds. Mistake. I ordered a coke at the restaurant and thought "fuck it" I want some ice in it. I usually told them to hold the ice, but I was sick of the heat. Jogyakarta is right on the equator, well the small city I was in was at least.

I spent the next two days in the head with an IV in my arm keeping me hydrated.
JarheadJournalist

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:18 pm

thanks for the story. looking forward to seeing more pix. i don't know what to say about the graphic pix. maybe just put a warning in your title for the squeamish?
and welcome to the flag :)
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby RYP » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:42 pm

No I don't have a 3/4. I use a D700 and carry a Panasonic LX3 when I can be bothered. Still have my M6, bought an M4 50Jahre (as a user) and have a bunch o' old school lenses. When I was in Burma I shot an old school macro and 24 wide open to get that razor sharp center, vignetting and jacked up ASA to essentially make it TRI- X. Friggin awesome. Shot em as JPGs Would rather have done this on an M9 but that would keep a whole village fed for a year.

Did a quick mockup and here is how they look

Imageg
RYP

Postby JarheadJournalist » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:26 pm

Nice. I really dig the hut pic. Burma looks like a nice place to shoot even if it is hot as balls.
JarheadJournalist

Postby JarheadJournalist » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:55 pm

Have you looked at the Olympus E-PL2 any? Opinion? I'm, still torn between that and the Panasonic GF2. I ditched the Sony option.

I may even sell my D700 to try an pick up a few used Leica lenses since I always have a high end DSLR issued to me for work.
JarheadJournalist

Postby RYP » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:07 pm

Dunno yet. Most digital cameras are made by the same company and they slap different logos on them. My big idea is to get a full frame rangefinder digital and use an adaptor for the Leica lenses. I always shoot wide open and the problems with the backfocus causing the corners to be funky are solved by simply cropping it out or software.

Either way whatever digital camera you buy now will look like one of those 80' s car phones in about a year.

RYP

Postby JarheadJournalist » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:21 pm

And this in two years.

Good point. My dad had one of these back in the day and always threatened to sell me to pay the bill.

JarheadJournalist

Postby JarheadJournalist » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:23 pm

RYP wrote:I always shoot wide open and the problems with the backfocus causing the corners to be funky are solved by simply cropping it out or software.

Why don't you just get fixed lens then. They usually have crisper images.
JarheadJournalist

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!