tor

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

tor

Postby kilroy » Sat May 21, 2011 4:34 pm

https://www.torproject.org/

P2P proxy server. works better the more folks are also using it in your area, so spread the word, bitches. organize a protest or two or just break into a business or two's credit card records.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Re: tor

Postby Chimborazo » Tue May 24, 2011 6:55 pm

That's pretty cool...I'm going to have to read more about it. Thanks for the link.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Fri May 27, 2011 2:21 am

I've heard rumors that the NSA has the ability to gather information from people using Tor. Can any resident geeks shed some light on this?
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri May 27, 2011 5:01 am

gnaruki wrote:I've heard rumors that the NSA has the ability to gather information from people using Tor. Can any resident geeks shed some light on this?

I doubt it.

but, if a tor chain is incomplete it is possible to see the originating IP so then it would be possible if someone with an incomplete chain was viewing an NSA controlled IP address for them to see the originating IP.

I forget how to tell if the chain is broken but usually if you hear "I hear the NSA can.." then you have to ask "How?" It is common for many people to think the government's spying abilities are bigger than they are, but really Government's move slow and they cannot see squat. The group with the most promise for spying was HB Gary Federal, which is a government contractor but they got fucked by Anonymous (most likely because they actually did get close to Anonymous). Their proposal for a rootkit that mimicked a USB device written in x86 assembler would have been devastating in spy abilities, so a bunch of hackers probably delayed a massive government spying attempt on the general public and we should thank them for that.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby RYP » Sun May 29, 2011 3:26 am

good luck trying to track my browsing patterns or origination.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby BillyOblivion » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:24 pm

Kurt wrote:
gnaruki wrote:I forget how to tell if the chain is broken but usually if you hear "I hear the NSA can.." then you have to ask "How?" It is common for many people to think the government's spying abilities are bigger than they are, but really Government's move slow and they cannot see squat.

How much are you willing to bet on that?

The group with the most promise for spying was HB Gary Federal, which is a government contractor but they got fucked by Anonymous (most likely because they actually did get close to Anonymous). Their proposal for a rootkit that mimicked a USB device written in x86 assembler would have been devastating in spy abilities, so a bunch of hackers probably delayed a massive government spying attempt on the general public and we should thank them for that.

Either HB Gary Fed were a bunch of glib smooth talking fucking amateurs, or the security industry is full of fuckwits.

That is not an xor.
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus

Postby BillyOblivion » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:25 pm

RYP wrote:good luck trying to track my browsing patterns or origination.

It's rather clear that where ever the origination is, your exit point is in Pakistan:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/07/12 ... -material/
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:56 pm

I will happily have a gentleman's bet on if the NSA can monitor tor origins.

I will also include Government ability to monitor and "spy" on people to collect useful, targeted data as being slower and less effective than private entities (legitimate and illegitimate) like google, spammers and anonymous.

We just need to find a criteria to judge.

and decide on the wager (I propose a "I Lost a bet to ____ and I suck" underneath the avatar area.)
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby gnaruki » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:25 pm

I worded my above post poorly. I should have said gather information from tor, not people's information that use tor. A few months ago I stumbled across some blog post positing the NSA's ability to monitor tor activity. Claiming information could be gleaned to forecast web organized protests and such.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby BillyOblivion » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:16 am

Kurt wrote:I will happily have a gentleman's bet on if the NSA can monitor tor origins.

Because of weaknesses in the algorithms or because people are fucking morons and don't properly follow procedures?

(I've got no dog in this fight, I'm just asking questions for my own edification)

I will also include Government ability to monitor and "spy" on people to collect useful, targeted data as being slower and less effective than private entities (legitimate and illegitimate) like google, spammers and anonymous.

The government has three problems that Google et. al. do not:

(1) The definition of "useful targeted data". Google et. al. simply want a profile that lets them charge a higher price for you eyeballs, they aren't trying to convict you for anything.
(2) The law stipulates what they can collect and how they can use it in general terms, but if you want to bring someone to court with what you collect you have to be clean about it. By definition we don't know or can't talk about what they can collect if all they want to do is hire a third party to shoot you.
(3) Google can be much more selective about who it hires. The Government, and a lot of their contractors (not talking PMCs here, but if the shoe fits...) are fucking reactionary god damn morons who will do everything in their fucking power to prevent ANY advancement in anything. When the Government wants it can get shit done in a hurry. It just rarely wants.

Google and others have one big advantage--they have something we *want* to use. Other than roads the government is mostly shit we don't want to use.

We just need to find a criteria to judge.

and decide on the wager (I propose a "I Lost a bet to ____ and I suck" underneath the avatar area.)[/quote]
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:37 pm

gnaruki wrote:I've heard rumors that the NSA has the ability to gather information from people using Tor. Can any resident geeks shed some light on this?

Everything someone does online can be tracked - the only limitation is how much money a government wants to spend and if they are willing to use human assets on the ground

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Sri Lanky » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:49 pm

That makes the internet a huge grey area,no?

We just received warning from our union leader to not use the computers at work for any e-mailing and our new Conservative government has pledged to start seriously policing the 'net.

I bought a laptop a couple of days ago.
Sri Lanky

Postby BillyOblivion » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:57 am

JamesInTheWorld wrote:

Everything someone does online can be tracked - the only limitation is how much money a government wants to spend and if they are willing to use human assets on the ground

One thing I hate about my job is not being able to explain how this is both true, and false.
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus

Postby BillyOblivion » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:19 pm

Sri Lanky wrote:That makes the internet a huge grey area,no?
We just received warning from our union leader to not use the computers at work for any e-mailing and our new Conservative government has pledged to start seriously policing the 'net.
I bought a laptop a couple of days ago.

So you guys elect fucking morons too?

China can't police it's internet, Pakistan can't keep the smut out, what chance do modern liberal democracies have?
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:06 pm

It is pathetic. Anyone using the internet can be deemed an enemy of the state...a terrorist!
Sri Lanky

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!