E-bikes.....

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Postby el3so » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:37 pm

I'd love to hear rickshaw chime in.
Kurt wrote: the logic of others.
It's called market-diversification.
j/k

I guess I just don't see what it offers that a regular bike doesn't.
Less low-tech so more prone to failure plus harder to repair using basic tools and cheapo spare parts.
Higher cost yet decreased reliability and no significant increase in safety, speed or cargo.
Only plus 'd be you wouldn't have to use your muscles as much, but that shouldn't be too much trouble seeing how inflatable tires, multiple speeds and light-weight frames are nowadays' standard.

Most folks this is marketed at could use more, not less exercise in their daily routine.
Kurt wrote: in the meantime it is an interesting blend of people buying them... bike hobbyists and working deliverymen. Something has to be right with that.
You had me at 'deliverymen' ;-)
In an urban setting it might make sense, esp if the distances don't warrant firing up an engine. I'd feel naked on a bike in a city though.

It looks like a hipper design of what old folks have been buying over here the last couple of years. Once those batteries die, you are basically riding an overweight bike.

And svizz, horses look cool and all but they are picky eaters and unless you are both a veterinary and a blacksmith, you depend on others for maintenance. They do taste far better than bicycles though.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re: Re:

Postby Alessandro » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:24 pm

BillyOblivion wrote:
Kurt wrote:You have a point there but sometimes there is a benefit that cannot be seen right away with just the application of logic until you apply the logic of others. Like I wrote before and Novimya wrote, the Chinese use bikes like these all the time. In NYC it is rare to see a chinese man on a bicycle that is not electric (I never see Chinese women on bicycles here though and that is odd), so, like with French people and food, I tend to assume Chinese people know more about practical bike riding than I do.

If you want to know about practical bike riding in NYC ask the expert: http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/

The Chinese don't buy electric bicycles because they want electric bicycles, they buy electric bicycles because they can't afford anything more.

If you want a reasonable electric vehicle (modulo my other criticisms of them) I would suggest skipping the bicycle thing entirely and getting a motorcycle or a (real) scooter. Like this http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/specs.php or this http://www.brammo.com/home/.

Yeah, they're a little more expensive, but they're faster and can go longer.

If you want to pedal get a pushbike. If you want powered transportation get powered transportation.

Zero motorbikes seem to have made a reputation for themselves, company only 5 years old though.
To think before you type is like wiping your butt before you dump.
Alessandro
BFCus Regularus

Re: Re:

Postby svizzerams » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:15 am

Alessandro wrote:
BillyOblivion wrote:
Kurt wrote:You have a point there but sometimes there is a benefit that cannot be seen right away with just the application of logic until you apply the logic of others. Like I wrote before and Novimya wrote, the Chinese use bikes like these all the time. In NYC it is rare to see a chinese man on a bicycle that is not electric (I never see Chinese women on bicycles here though and that is odd), so, like with French people and food, I tend to assume Chinese people know more about practical bike riding than I do.

If you want to know about practical bike riding in NYC ask the expert: http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/

The Chinese don't buy electric bicycles because they want electric bicycles, they buy electric bicycles because they can't afford anything more.

If you want a reasonable electric vehicle (modulo my other criticisms of them) I would suggest skipping the bicycle thing entirely and getting a motorcycle or a (real) scooter. Like this http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/specs.php or this http://www.brammo.com/home/.

Yeah, they're a little more expensive, but they're faster and can go longer.

If you want to pedal get a pushbike. If you want powered transportation get powered transportation.

Zero motorbikes seem to have made a reputation for themselves, company only 5 years old though.

The Zero motorbikes do look quite cool - an only $0.48 per charge - pretty reasonable transport I'd say. An electric scooter might be more comfortable though. I have two motorbikes already - what I'm trying to get away from is having to fire up a combustion engine to ride 1-2 miles to work or to acquire other necessities of daily living in this small town I live in. The advantage of the e-bike - it is tons of fun to ride, doesn't matter if it's nasty windy out (which it has been here lately) or there are significant hills, especially if you are using it to commute to work you get there without absolutely needing a shower - it doesn't have to be insured or tagged and its very cheap to fuel up....and you still are putting some human power into the thing. Now if you are Lance Armstrong, this might not be appealing or challenging enough - but my goal is to put more of the "human powered" in my going about my everyday life sort of things. Since I made that small change in December I've dropped nearly 20 lbs - and have saved a bunch of money by not buying a lot of $4.00/gallon gas. Alot of the time I do walk - but when I do get called into work on my off hours or are in a hurry the e-bike is almost as fast (or faster) way to get where I'm going than a car in my particular setting. Did I mention that it is really fun. And it has this cool bell....... All I'm trying to say is that it is incredibly utilitarian in a way I wouldn't have anticipated had not I not actually used one. The only downside is all those SUV's and F-150's with zoned out drivers I have to beware of.

I also think it would be cool if all those commuters trying to get across the 520 bridge in Seattle would be doing it on a bike. They'd all be so much happier. [ A very strong point in favor of why I live here...and not there]. In fact - I think they should make one whole lane of all the Emerald City freeways for the exclusive use of 2 wheeled human powered transit - they should try it - just for a week. A week when the cyclists would not be in constant menace from automobiles. I bet there would be a lot of converts (to bicycles - not necessarily e-bikes) as transport and not just for recreation. Or killing two birds so to speak by getting your recreating in whilst going to work.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Re: E-bikes.....

Postby Alessandro » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:23 pm

Like when I push my batterypowered lawnmover around our enormous garden which never been cut before (yes, never been cut before!).
To think before you type is like wiping your butt before you dump.
Alessandro
BFCus Regularus

Re:

Postby Novimya » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:07 pm

el3so wrote:In an urban setting it might make sense, esp if the distances don't warrant firing up an engine. I'd feel naked on a bike in a city though.

Having now toured 1500 miles in China, 2500 in Russia, 1000 in Canada, and 4000 in the US, I am pretty much completely over being intimidated by urban cycling. I consider any plug in electrics to be coal powered.
I also have some fine automobiles, but have almost convinced myself that, since I live within a mile or two of most things I need, I try to keep them as a luxury. Or when I need to go somewhere fast. Although less than 10 miles is usually a wash between riding and driving. Wealth is no excuse for laziness. Or so I tell myself.
Novimya

Postby Mikethehack » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:19 pm

A left and a right hook for a cyclist here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14125396
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:56 pm

Just plain wrong.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:57 pm

Wrong wrong wrong!
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!