G3 vs. GF-3

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

G3 vs. GF-3

Postby HockeyGuy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Anyone pickup either of these cameras yet?
GF-3
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcgf3/

G-3
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcg3/

Looking for some feedback for out in the field...
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Re: G3 vs. GF-3

Postby Mikethehack » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:51 am

A camera without a viewfinder is not a camera.

Aside from that, the DMC-GH2 was recommended by a DP buddy who worked it extensively. Picture quality amazing, excellent lenses and very good in HD video. Video quality is better than Canon 5D. It is not full frame, but micro 4 thirds system is good. It also has a touch screen that tilts, which is cool and is 5 fps compared to 3.5 for the 5D.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby RYP » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:08 am

The new half frames are not bad if the lenses didn't suck. Suck as in once you have the crap assembled you might as well by a full frame/ HD video camera with a janky Chinkina 10 to 1000mm compact zoom Toss in a small seinheisser mic with windsock and you have a video and still camera par excellence. If you want small buy the regular Panasonic DX whatever and KISS. If you want really small just use your Iphone
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby HockeyGuy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:00 pm

We did some tests with the G2 with various lenses (with an adapter) and the results have been nothing short of amazing. However, in a controlled environment is one thing...out in the field is another. Robert, I'm not sure what you mean "half frame?"
These cameras (G3) have a 4/3 thirds size sensor and are comparable to 5/7d with good glass, but much smaller/discreet. You're right Mike...there seems to be some distortion from the 5D on the outer rim of the glass for lack of long explanation...the sensor is too big where the 7d is just right.

Unfortunately, there is no audio jack on the G3 in which the G2 had. Another small is issue is the camera is so small that it feels a little unsecure holding the camera, but its sure nice that you just put it your cargo pants pocket and just go...
Another plus is the flip LCD screen...perfect for running and gunning.

But the real test, I believe, is sand, salt, cold, humid areas...coming out of an air conditioned room, etc. Shit like that...
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:17 pm

They did some various tests with video cameras and the 7D holds its own with high video cameras...

Part 1:
http://www.zacuto.com/the-great-camera-shootout-2011
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:40 pm

I use the term "half Frame" because your choice is "full frame" because the two things you want are better dynamic range and speed/sharpness.

Always think about how much usable framing you get. If you crop to a standard 16:9 ratio you get bugger all on a 4/3ds. And my opinion is that the lens are funky compared to the Leica, Nikon or Canon stable of proven fixed and zoom lenses. As I said if you want to go small...go small Cuz you can carry an HD video and a small camera and still carry less than all the gizmos you need to make the medium small cameras to work.

If you are doing video, audio is a critical part of being/looking professional. The tiny cameras don't do it well. The Canon ful frames essentially get you to cinema quality with amateurish but workable audio.

So my point is the compromise cameras aren't there yet for professional work (RAW, audio, cinema quality video, controls, etc) Do I want on? Yes some of the new cool cameras are right up my alley but they are not there yet. So I stick to the M9 D700 and LX3 (and a small video camera)
RYP

Postby HockeyGuy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:07 pm

Well said Robert. I don't disagree with anything you've said.

There are a couple cameras coming out over the next few months that will r-evolutionize the market like the 5/7D and you are wise to keep what you have...

I'm curious...what is the small video camera you speak of?
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:55 pm

There are a couple cameras coming out over the next few months that will r-evolutionize the market like the 5/7D and you are wise to keep what you have...

Anything from Canon? Just bought a 500D in December and already thinkin bout what to get next,
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby HockeyGuy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:06 am

They are coming out video camera with the guts of the 5/7D...so you'll have the features of a real video body but with proper audio. Kind of like the Af-g100 from Panasonic...
So I am told...
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:19 am

I have a small Sony but they are all the same. Just make sure they have an audio jack and manual controls. I get the ones with no built in memory and just use SD cars. Canon makes a nice one too.

The best camera is the one you have with you.
RYP

Postby HockeyGuy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:10 am

I hear ya Robert. I still use my Canon HV 30 for certain shoots...they still rent that camera here for $100 per day.
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:27 am

HockeyGuy wrote:I hear ya Robert. I still use my Canon HV 30 for certain shoots...they still rent that camera here for $100 per day.

Really?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby HockeyGuy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:22 am

rickshaw92 wrote:
HockeyGuy wrote:I hear ya Robert. I still use my Canon HV 30 for certain shoots...they still rent that camera here for $100 per day.

Really?

Yup. I was looking at some lenses to rent at Samy's and lo behold...
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby BillyOblivion » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:58 am

HockeyGuy wrote:Anyone pickup either of these cameras yet?
GF-3
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcgf3/

G-3
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcg3/

Looking for some feedback for out in the field...

I have three cameras around, a Pentax K10D for when I want "good" shots, a Panasonic DMC-LX3 for when I want a decent camera handy, and a crappy GE A1050 when I want to strap something to the handlebars of my bike or put it in a waterproof bag and go swimming. This means I can almost always have a camera on me.

I've been really, really pleased with the performance of all three of them, but if I absolutely HAD to have only one, right now that would be the LX3. It's got a 2.0 lens and shake reduction that lets me take flash-less photos in some SERIOUSLY low light, it's not great for telephoto shots, but for up close it's fucking awesome. The only thing I dislike about it is the lack of a real viewfinder, but I don't dislike it enough to actually pay for the one they make.
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:00 pm

I heard a lot of good things about the LX3. It's good to have these small cameras for discretion as well as decoy. Once the video is mastered; and it won't be much longer...we'll get some footage with lugging heavier shit around.
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!