Backpack/Daypack.

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Backpack/Daypack.

Postby praharin » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:05 am

I don't think that $10 a year is true. I forgot I had a membership for about 6 and reactivated it without paying. Maybe I got lucky...
praharin

Postby BillyOblivion » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:36 am

praharin wrote:REI has a better return policy than that for their "members". Because your purchase is on file, no box, no receipt, no problem and you have 90 days to make up your mind. Of course, not my brain is saying that's just for shoes... shrug. Stupid brain.

The member ship is a one time payment (or was when I did it, and I haven't paid in about 10 years, and I am still active).

I've been a memeber since...2000 or so?

Thing is I'm about fifteen million miles from an REI, and Amazon/Zappos have REALLY good return policies via postal service. We actually used their return process once. My wife has hard-to-fit feet (short, wide and moderately high arches). Our local REI had fuck-all in her size for ski boots, so we ordered 3-4 pair of different sizes and models for in-store pickup. When they got there she tried all of them on and we returned the other 3 w/out leaving the store with them.

Oh, and their annual or semi-annual sale where they excess the used stuff is (IIRC) the Garage Sale and it's for members only. Get their early because by the time the coffee gets cold the good stuff will be gone.

Gawd I miss living some place with stores.
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:39 pm

praharin wrote:I don't think that $10 a year is true. I forgot I had a membership for about 6 and reactivated it without paying. Maybe I got lucky...

Maybe spending $10 per year at REI just keeps it in active status so you can go the the garage sales, etc. I just got a membership this year. That's cool though...good to know.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby praharin » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:21 pm

I actually recall reactivating my membership for the purpose of ordering a pair of Vibram Five Fingers, so that's entirely possible. In any case, they are an outstanding company, in my experience
praharin

Postby koogmo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:16 am

Always these questions about backpacks and daypacks on all the various outdoorsy forums and rough-and-tumble survivalist websites. After a while it all seems kinda.....gay. Like women stressing about what shoes to wear with that summer dress they picked up at Ross Dress For Less.

But I read every single word and click every link because I have a backpack/bag fetish.

Anyway....here's another to consider:

North Face Base Camp Hot Shot:

http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/ ... tionId=JB4

I picked one up on eBay for about $70, but you can find them even cheaper. This particular model is made of the same material used to make their famous, AWARD WINNING base camp duffel bags. (I wonder how well it holds up to a flame?)

Onward!
koogmo

Postby coldharvest » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:09 am

Queers

I buy my packs at Wal-Mart, the last one made it 5 years with hard abuse

fuckin' tactisexuals
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby zuluninja » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:34 am

koogmo wrote:Always these questions about backpacks and daypacks on all the various outdoorsy forums and rough-and-tumble survivalist websites. After a while it all seems kinda.....gay.

But I read every single word and click every link because I have a backpack/bag fetish.

Uh? wonder what does that make you then?

I paid $20 for an Oakley backpack 6 years ago and I've beat the snot out of that thing, still going strong and used every day. Been considering a bigger pack for camping lately.
zuluninja

Postby coldharvest » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:40 am

zuluninja wrote:
koogmo wrote:Always these questions about backpacks and daypacks on all the various outdoorsy forums and rough-and-tumble survivalist websites. After a while it all seems kinda.....gay.

I paid $20 for an Oakley backpack 6 years ago and I've beat the snot out of that thing, still going strong and used every day. Been considering a bigger pack for camping lately.

that's the ticket....you gotta love $20 for 6 years of service.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby koogmo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:31 pm

I meant that totally tongue-in-cheek.

I agree.....cheap is good enough most of the time. But I've had too many backpack straps break on me over the years.
koogmo

Postby koogmo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:48 pm

I've got a $40 Jansport backpack that I've used as my everyday pack and sole travel bag for about 15 years. Finally retired it when the front pocket got torn.
koogmo

Postby BillyOblivion » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:10 pm

coldharvest wrote:Queers

I buy my packs at Wal-Mart, the last one made it 5 years with hard abuse

Last time I bought something at Walmart it broke before I even got it to the register. Mostly because I fumble fingered and dropped it (master lock, fucking hell they've gone down hill).
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:41 pm

I give the pack a solid fuckin' kicking when I first pick it up.....then I have the kids test it.
If it survives that then I know it'll handle the shit I carry in it.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Rhah » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:55 pm

coldharvest wrote:I give the pack a solid fuckin' kicking when I first pick it up.....then I have the kids test it.
If it survives that then I know it'll handle the shit I carry in it.

Kids: The ultimate gear testers.
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby emtmark » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:42 pm

+1 to the children gear testers, army 3 day packs are showing up at surplus stores I picked one up in the grey digi pattern for 19.99. Washed it, sprayed it dust brown (rattle can) and it just looks like a pile of fuck. Just right for getting passed over by the critical eye but it's put together like a tank. Carries well, no external pockets but has the standard panels for attaching your widiges. I like it just fine :)
emtmark

Postby praharin » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:54 am

koogmo wrote:

I've got a $40 Jansport backpack that I've used as my everyday pack and sole travel bag for about 15 years. Finally retired it when the front pocket got torn.

Contact Jansport, they will probably give you a new one, or the new version/equivalent product. Possibly the best warranty in the Pack business.
praharin

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!