Cars?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Cars?

Postby HockeyGuy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:37 pm

This will be a contender in the near future...
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/19/2012 ... ve-review/

The best bang for your bucks:
Mustang GT 30K
Audi TT RS = 60K
Nissan GTR- 90K

Any Top Gear fans?
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Re: Cars?

Postby ktrout » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:09 pm

I think the new Mustang is pretty nice. They finally got their shit together with their engines this year. Even the V6 has 300hp and is rated at 30mpg highway as well.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:16 pm

ktrout wrote:I think the new Mustang is pretty nice. They finally got their shit together with their engines this year. Even the V6 has 300hp and is rated at 30mpg highway as well.

For sure. 300 ponies...is still 300 ponies.

You may appreciate this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOwSPccbzl4

You put in coil overs on the mustang and cross balance it; and Bob's your Uncle. There won't be closeness after that.
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:31 pm

But they forgot the "base" level Corvette. I put a coil over kit on mine and it makes a world of difference, but it's a stellar car to begin with.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:41 pm

The Corvette is definitely a beast. Driven most of the quick ones...EVO, STi, Lotus, etc., but my favorite is still the Boxster S. That mid engine/car is so frigin' balanced that nerve will go before the car does, but I need to drive the new Audi...
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:53 pm

The Boxster is a good car. I cannot figure out why the 911 cost what they do and are still more popular than the Boxster and Caymans.

Ford has been impressing me lately and it does look like the GT is a bargain. And the v6 I think is cool too simply because 300hp and 30mpg. Not too far away from the Smart car.

I drove a US version of the Fiat 500 and I think it is great. It does not have power but it sounds like it has power. The brilliance is that its interior is TARDIS like, it looks bigger than it should be for a car that size and it is simply pleasant to sit in. And it is so small it can do manuevering in NYC that would be impossible for any car except for a Smart, but those are ridiculous.

My new favorite car is the Cadillac CTS-V Wagon with a stick shift. I want one so damn bad but it is still out of my price range. So of course I bought the most useless car ever, a Morgan 3 wheeler...It is not built yet of course, but when you buy a useless car you do not need then you can also wait a year or more for it to be delivered.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ktrout » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:40 pm

Kurt wrote:The Boxster is a good car. I cannot figure out why the 911 cost what they do and are still more popular than the Boxster and Caymans.

Now that's the thing. As Jeremy Clarkson said, "A woman would have just put the engine in the front where it belongs, but the 911 was designed by men, so they've spent 50 years perfecting it." I read an article where it discussed the relative merits of the Cayman vs the 911 and the author made the point that the polar moment of inertia is far better in the Cayman because the heavy lumps are closer to the middle. Porsche just won't let the Coxster beat up on its bigger brother.
Ford has been impressing me lately and it does look like the GT is a bargain. And the v6 I think is cool too simply because 300hp and 30mpg. Not too far away from the Smart car.

I hate, hate, hate the Smart car. Complete pile.
I drove a US version of the Fiat 500 and I think it is great. It does not have power but it sounds like it has power. The brilliance is that its interior is TARDIS like, it looks bigger than it should be for a car that size and it is simply pleasant to sit in. And it is so small it can do manuevering in NYC that would be impossible for any car except for a Smart, but those are ridiculous.

It looks interesting to me too. I saw tons of them in Europe. There's the Mazda2 as well, but it's not nearly as cute.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:25 pm

There is no right car. There is only a right car for you...

10 years ago I would never think of getting a convertible due to the lack torsional rigidity, but since i'm a little older and live in Southern California...The Boxster is the choice. However, I did drive the Cayman and you can tell a slight difference between the two. Where the center mount "area" exists rubs my right calve and drove me nuts. Sometimes you get all the performance you want but if it doesn't fit you...then it's not the right car .
The Elise is so tight I had to take shoes off or i would hit the brake when I hit the gas.

I believe the Boxster is 55% from the Carrera, but the 911's, unbeknownst to a lot of people, are one of the harder cars to drive. Due to rear engine and rear wheel driven. It's a slippery slope...

The Mustang is just a beast. It's a totally different animal...

The Fiat 500 ...wasn't the original called the "Egg?"

Yeah, not a big fan of the "smart" car...and the fact that you have to put Premium is not too smart. There's a youtube video where somebody put speed bike engine in one and smoked a Ferrari...
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:11 pm

One of the reasons why Top Gear USA can't compete with Top Gear...

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/20/cour ... bel-tesla/

Tesla's libel suit against Top Gear was dealt a crushing blow with London's court ruling that no Top Gear viewer would have reasonably assumed the Tesla Roadster's on-track performance on the show relates to its real-world capabilities.

As you might recall, Top Gear's review of the Roadster concluded by claiming that, "In the real world, it doesn't seem to work" (watch it here). But that's just Top Gear being, well, Top Gear, implies Justice Tugendhat:
In my judgment, the words complained of are wholly incapable of conveying any meaning at all to the effect that the claimant misled anyone. This is because the contrast between the style of driving and the nature of the track as compared with the conditions on a public road are so great that no reasonable person could understand that the performance on the track is capable of a direct comparison with a public road.
The ruling was handed down verbally by Justice Tugendhat before lunch on Wednesday, October 19th. The Tesla versus Top Gear trial will continue as the automaker is suing BBC for five malicious statements made during the Top Gear's 2008 review of the electric Roadster. Tugendhat is expected to return a complete verdict within weeks.
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:15 pm

HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:55 pm

HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:24 pm

Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:16 am

HockeyGuy wrote:http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/22/googles-next-driverless-car-goal-1-000-000-miles/

Google is Skynet. The S2k gets a tip o' the hat from me. They're pretty quick on a road course.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:31 am

HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:24 am

HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!