Cars?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Cars?

Postby Kurt » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:07 pm

HockeyGuy wrote:I hear ya. I don't particular care what people think either. I think it looks killer regardless of Posh putting her ideas into it. The aftermarket world is going to have a field day with it...

It's like the Porsche Boxster...how it's a ladies Porsche. Whatever. That mid-engine design is almost perfect.

A friend of mine has one (Boxster) and it is a blast to drive. My only criticism of it is that he got it with the automatic and the manual gear changes are done with a little silver switch on the steering wheel. Not even a paddle, it is similar to the cruise control switch that was on my 1982 Ford LTD and i just gave up on manually shifting it.

If it were not for traffic on the Saw Mill Parkway and the Taconic Parkway I could have easily gone 90 to 100 as an average speed through those and not even had a tire squeal.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby HockeyGuy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:40 am

I'm sure the Boxster is still fun to drive, but buying a Porsche Automatic is a tough sell...literally. When you drive a Porsche you'll understand their moto "There is no substitution."

Despite people's concept of what a good design/handling car is the factory OEM rear tires. You look at a Subi STi or Lotus Elise...a tread wear of about 60. The Porsche Boxster S, is at 220, which tells me the geometry is a better design as you are not relying on grip, if that makes sense. Incidentally, when I was at the Auto show the LFA Lexus was at 280, which I have never seen before especially on a Super car.
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:33 pm

We know the autos of today are better than the manuals but I would still rather have a manual unless I had to have a daily commuter or work van while living in a place like SFO. (when I was a truck driver I sprained my left ankle in SFO and had to drive a stick, luckily Eaton Fuller 10 speeds can be shifted without the clutch if you time it right but a regular car with a sprained ankle and all those hills would have been a real problem).

I have never driven a 911 yet but I sense that the Boxster Cayman platform is superior in every way...but the 911 fans have more cash.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby thewalrus » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:24 pm

I don't know why someone would buy a Boxster when you can get a 370Z with W/Z rated tires and have just as much fun...

thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:37 pm

thewalrus wrote:I don't know why someone would buy a Boxster when you can get a 370Z with W/Z rated tires and have just as much fun...

Boxster is a bit out of my price range..but if I had the cash I would get one. (ideally a Cayman but that is even more out of my range) I do not know about the 370z since I have never driven.

Most of the reviews I have read give really high marks to the Boxster but not the 370. I actually think if I wanted a Boxster type car but could not afford it I might go the Miata route and get aftermarket stuff for it. Lots of Miata racers out there and lots of parts.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby HockeyGuy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:56 am

thewalrus wrote:I don't know why someone would buy a Boxster when you can get a 370Z with W/Z rated tires and have just as much fun...

The same reason why all beers will get you drunk...but I have certain tastes. You can't go wrong though with Japanese technology/longevity and they've improved the instrumental panel. To me, it's set up for late 20's to mid 30's crowd.
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:18 am

HockeyGuy wrote:The same reason why all beers will get you drunk...but I have certain tastes. You can't go wrong though with Japanese technology/longevity and they've improved the instrumental panel. To me, it's set up for late 20's to mid 30's crowd.

Plus a Corvette is still more practical. Did they fill up the the hatch area on the 370 with body work like they did on the 350?
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:20 am

Kurt wrote:
HockeyGuy wrote:A friend of mine has one (Boxster) and it is a blast to drive. My only criticism of it is that he got it with the automatic and the manual gear changes are done with a little silver switch on the steering wheel. Not even a paddle, it is similar to the cruise control switch that was on my 1982 Ford LTD and i just gave up on manually shifting it.

If it were not for traffic on the Saw Mill Parkway and the Taconic Parkway I could have easily gone 90 to 100 as an average speed through those and not even had a tire squeal.

Wow, not even a flappy paddle gearbox? Can't they execute you for ordering an automatic Porsche in Germany?
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:55 pm

There is no right car...there is only the right car for you.
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:12 pm

HockeyGuy wrote:There is no right car...there is only the right car for you.

That is the mystical quality of them.

The best car I have ever owned was a 1982 Ford LTD with a 255ci v8 that produced 120 hp. It was the worst version of the v8 that ford ever made. But I drove mine for 260,000 (well, I bought it from my father so I saw all 260,000 as a kid/teen but did not drive it all) and when I sold it in 1993 to a friend of mine he drove it to the dump in 2002 with over 400,000 miles on it.

Plus you could do anything with that car. Go into the ditch and it would come out looking like it had never been in the ditch. seats big enoug to sleep two when out drinking. Big, loping American cruiser perfect for interstates but still could handle gravel backroads without worrying about the paint.

Great car...for me. But no way you will ever hear anyone praise any car with a 255 v8 in it...because they sucked.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby HockeyGuy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:46 pm

Everyone has different backgrounds, tastes, budget, environmental factors, needs...wants.

When I lived in the Great White north...I don't think anyone I knew had an all wheel drive car, but yet people here in MB will have it so when they go to Big Bear or Mammoth... once a year.

I always modified my car for versatility...biking, transporting, autocrossing, mileage, performance, etc. Now, it's just best to have two different vehicles...plus a motorbike, if possible.
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:06 pm

Kurt wrote:Plus you could do anything with that car. Go into the ditch and it would come out looking like it had never been in the ditch. seats big enoug to sleep two when out drinking. Big, loping American cruiser perfect for interstates but still could handle gravel backroads without worrying about the paint.

Best thing about those old yank tanks. Even a waist high snow bank wouldn't stop them.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:17 pm

ktrout wrote:
Kurt wrote:Plus you could do anything with that car. Go into the ditch and it would come out looking like it had never been in the ditch. seats big enoug to sleep two when out drinking. Big, loping American cruiser perfect for interstates but still could handle gravel backroads without worrying about the paint.

Best thing about those old yank tanks. Even a waist high snow bank wouldn't stop them.

When moving...it had an Achilles Trunk. In an snowy parking lot it could not get moving because the rear end was so light compared to the front.

It had to be filled with kitty litter.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby HockeyGuy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:51 am

HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:46 am

HockeyGuy wrote:http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/05/2013-subaru-brz-first-drive-review/

The BRZ looks interesting, at least. I'll wait and see what kind of lap times it will do. Needs 50% more power, though.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!