Cars?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Cars?

Postby ktrout » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:24 am

HockeyGuy wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WHcw-QJRIlU

I was there about a month ago. Rented a BMW Z4 from one of the local track rental companies. I have my best, but admittedly modest, lap almost ready to put on Youtube. I thought the car's handling was acceptable but the brakes couldn't quite take the abuse. As Jackie Stewart put it, it's the "Green Hell".
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:17 am

Very cool. What did it cost for a lap?
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:45 am

HockeyGuy wrote:Very cool. What did it cost for a lap?

It was about 800 euros for the car for a day, and 24 euros for a lap, but there's a quantity discount. I barely made it as I had ridden a bicycle from Beijing. The rear shifter cable broke about 10 miles away and western Germany is not flat. Ended up checking into my hotel at one AM, then had to get up at seven or so to go to the rental shop. The lady running the front office was not impressed to see me ride up on a bicycle considering two other customers had an Enzo and a Carrera GT.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:31 am

800 Euros doesn't sound like chump change. Great story and I'm sure it was a memorable moment...
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:47 am

HockeyGuy wrote:800 Euros doesn't sound like chump change. Great story and I'm sure it was a memorable moment...

No, it's not, but I race cars here. It's an expensive hobby.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:16 pm

ktrout wrote:
HockeyGuy wrote:800 Euros doesn't sound like chump change. Great story and I'm sure it was a memorable moment...

Nope...nothing cheap about racing cars. Put up some pics if you get a chance...I assume you live in the area then. What's your car of choice for that track?
BTW...why was the car so expensive? Is that par for the course...do they assume you are going to crash...is there new rubber...or is it modified with a roll bar and such. I'm curious.
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:36 pm

HockeyGuy wrote:
ktrout wrote:

Nope...nothing cheap about racing cars. Put up some pics if you get a chance...I assume you live in the area then. What's your car of choice for that track?
BTW...why was the car so expensive? Is that par for the course...do they assume you are going to crash...is there new rubber...or is it modified with a roll bar and such. I'm curious.

Sorry, "here" as in the west coast of the US. A lot of it is that it's really rough on cars and maintenance goes up exponentially. They cover tires and other "consumables". It was a basically stock Z4 and the driver pays for all accidents, including damage done to the track itself. That's really not too bad of a deal for racetrack rentals.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:18 pm

Finally got a Nurburgring lap up on Youtube. No audio because my camera only recorded bleeps for some reason, but I'm ripping my CD collection and had Eliminator playing, which turned out to be good background.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:00 pm

ktrout wrote:Finally got a Nurburgring lap up on Youtube. No audio because my camera only recorded bleeps for some reason, but I'm ripping my CD collection and had Eliminator playing, which turned out to be good background.

Nice run Ktrout. Really smooth. You took advantage of lines of other drivers considering you hadn't done the track before and that it was your one and only run.

If I can make a suggestion...I would recess the camera to the head rest area that way you are not fighting with the iris catching up as it was an auto iris and the fact that it was in the sun...makes it even harder. Two other great shots/pov are behind the head, over the shoulder with the windshield and tach in view and if you have another camera put it on the front and center of the hood. If the car has after market motor mounts the vibrational harmonics will blow the shoot though, so do a test.

And for Gods sake clean the fucken windshield!!!
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:11 pm

I'd done a few runs, actually. Yeah, it was leisurely. It's a really complex track with lots of blind areas and many areas where it's possible to auger in at high speed. Yeah, I know the windshield was trashed. I tried the behind the shoulder position last weekend at a racetrack in California. I had problems with overexposure of the outside, which kind of takes away the whole point.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:32 am

Here's some video of me in my own car at Buttonwillow. Sorry my cell phone/data logger is in the way. Deal with it.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:43 pm

Cool. What are you running for suspension? Is the rotary/engine modified?...Don't know much modifying those type of engines
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:43 pm

HockeyGuy wrote:Cool. What are you running for suspension? Is the rotary/engine modified?...Don't know much modifying those type of engines

The engine is actually pretty weak. Suspension is only single adjustable Konis, coil overs, camber plates, and urethane bushings. I also bought a set of wider wheels and DOT race tires. Other than that the car is a collection of factory Mazda RX7 parts.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:48 pm

Cool. Ever been to Johnsons alignment in Torrance?...Yeah, I wasn't sure what you could do with those Wankel engines...
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:58 pm

There is Top Gear...and then there is everyone else.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/01/top- ... v-america/
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!