tough cold weather & waterproof outdoor/work gloves

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

tough cold weather & waterproof outdoor/work gloves

Postby AztecDave » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:31 am

anybody know any good ones? don't necessarily have to be tactical. have looked at outdoor research and others.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Re: tough cold weather & waterproof outdoor/work gloves

Postby JITW » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:14 pm

I like Stanley Work Gloves

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby diamondcutter13 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:31 pm

I like using ice climbing gloves for real cold weather work that require a decent level of tactile sense, grip, and durability. Mine are currently Marmot bought at MEC but there are plenty others out there. I'll try to find the name of the pair. They are generally more pricy than work gloves but have better grip etc.
Tacuero ceruisa, vigilate hoc
diamondcutter13
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:02 pm

diamondcutter13 wrote:I like using ice climbing gloves for real cold weather work that require a decent level of tactile sense, grip, and durability. Mine are currently Marmot bought at MEC but there are plenty others out there. I'll try to find the name of the pair. They are generally more pricy than work gloves but have better grip etc.

This ^
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:58 pm

You might want to look at Carhartt too.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby diamondcutter13 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:24 pm

they do not sell the marmots anymore but here's an expensive pair - goretex, padded knuckles, leather palms etc.
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/GlovesMitts/Gloves/PRD~5022-368/black-diamond-guide-3-gloves-mens.jsp

MEC carries their own branded versions which are much cheaper but excellent quality. Lots of variety to pick from. I use mine for chainsaw work in the winter, shooting, hunting, skiing, snowshoeing etc. Leather is a little colder but takes a good beating.
Tacuero ceruisa, vigilate hoc
diamondcutter13
BFCus Regularus

Postby Cruiser » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:12 am

What level of dexterity do you need? I know when I used to run our total station survey equipment I had to be able to type on very small buttons, and take very accurate sightings that really need a soft easy touch, I tried everything I could think of, and in the end I found the best thing to do was buy the biggest heavy leather wool insulated mitts I could find and I would just slide it off real fast type in what I needed to take my sighting and slide the big mitt back on as quick as possible, but I needed a high level of dexterity working with instruments that were rated 0.5" of a degree accuracy.
"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor" ~English Proverb

~Cruiser~
Orillia,Ontario
www.CanadianBackyard.com
Cruiser

Postby AztecDave » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:34 am

Cruiser wrote:What level of dexterity do you need? I know when I used to run our total station survey equipment I had to be able to type on very small buttons, and take very accurate sightings that really need a soft easy touch, I tried everything I could think of, and in the end I found the best thing to do was buy the biggest heavy leather wool insulated mitts I could find and I would just slide it off real fast type in what I needed to take my sighting and slide the big mitt back on as quick as possible, but I needed a high level of dexterity working with instruments that were rated 0.5" of a degree accuracy.

some dexterity - tying ropes, etc. not needle point level stuff.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:43 am

ended up getting outdoor research's warrant gloves. so far, are excellant. used them alot here in germany during the cold spell we had the last 2 weeks. hands warm and dry, gloves durable and provide excellant dexterity.
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:07 pm

AztecDave wrote:ended up getting outdoor research's warrant gloves. so far, are excellant. used them alot here in germany during the cold spell we had the last 2 weeks. hands warm and dry, gloves durable and provide excellant dexterity.

After I saw this posting I tested a few myself. Could you work a video camera...the buttons and features with those gloves?
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alessandro » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:10 pm

Im happy with my JokaPolar,
http://www.jokaglovesuk.com/jokapolar.php
To think before you type is like wiping your butt before you dump.
Alessandro
BFCus Regularus

Postby pmgaido » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:43 pm

pmgaido

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!