Morgan 3 wheeler update

Cameras, Computers, PDA, and Vehicles. Travel and non-travel related.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Morgan 3 wheeler update

Postby Chimborazo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:09 pm

flipflop wrote:"Tax in the post"

Image

Image

Cheers


Ah, you beat me to it. I'd love to drive that around here, although nobody would understand why it's hilarious.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
User avatar
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 4104
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:12 pm
Location: Bahrain

Re: Morgan 3 wheeler update

Postby ktrout » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:08 am

Kurt wrote:Yep. The Robin tips over sometimes.

I don't know how they get away with selling that. 60 Minutes would be all over that and so would that guy who complained about GM and the Corvair.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
User avatar
ktrout
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 3100
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:12 am
Location: USDA Climate zone 9b

Re: Morgan 3 wheeler update

Postby Kurt » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:38 am

ktrout wrote:
Kurt wrote:Yep. The Robin tips over sometimes.

I don't know how they get away with selling that. 60 Minutes would be all over that and so would that guy who complained about GM and the Corvair.


And the Corvair was made for 9 years. I owned a 1962 (two speed powerglide..the shift lever was on the dash so you could store boxes of stuff on the floor without the shifter or transmission hump) and yah, you would not want to race with it but for everyday driving it was fine. A 30mph curve could be taken at 30mph easily (I did 40 with no tire squeel or tipping over) but I am sure the Robin driven by people who know their car made a handy and cheap form of transporation. I saw one in 1989 on my first trip to England and I took a picture of it. The American girls I was with were swooning over the thing about how "cute" it was. If one was shipped over here and given to a plain looking college dude I bet he would score with it.
And from thence they went to Beer....(Num 21:16)
English Bespoke Tailor New York City
Internet research and investigation
User avatar
Kurt
In Manus Manus
 
Posts: 19629
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:29 am
Location: New York City

Re: Morgan 3 wheeler update

Postby ktrout » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:20 am

They fixed the Corvair a lot with the second generation, but Porsche, Mercedes, and VW among others used the same swing axle rear suspension design and Nader didn't make a fuss about them. At least it's not as bad as building a three wheeler with one wheel at the front.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
User avatar
ktrout
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 3100
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:12 am
Location: USDA Climate zone 9b

Re: Morgan 3 wheeler update

Postby ktrout » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:40 pm

If I went old school I would do something like this Bugatti replica:
Image
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
User avatar
ktrout
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 3100
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:12 am
Location: USDA Climate zone 9b

Re: Morgan 3 wheeler update

Postby Hitoru » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:30 am

Kurt wrote:
ktrout wrote:
Kurt wrote:Yep. The Robin tips over sometimes.

I don't know how they get away with selling that. 60 Minutes would be all over that and so would that guy who complained about GM and the Corvair.


And the Corvair was made for 9 years. I owned a 1962 (two speed powerglide..the shift lever was on the dash so you could store boxes of stuff on the floor without the shifter or transmission hump) and yah, you would not want to race with it but for everyday driving it was fine. A 30mph curve could be taken at 30mph easily (I did 40 with no tire squeel or tipping over) but I am sure the Robin driven by people who know their car made a handy and cheap form of transporation. I saw one in 1989 on my first trip to England and I took a picture of it. The American girls I was with were swooning over the thing about how "cute" it was. If one was shipped over here and given to a plain looking college dude I bet he would score with it.


My friends dad had a stock and a turbocharged Corvair painted the same color etc. He would street race them, lose the first round with the stock one and go home to "tune it",come back and put some $$$ on the next race.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
User avatar
Hitoru
Arbol Basura
 
Posts: 3527
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:49 pm
Location: Tejas

Re: Morgan 3 wheeler update

Postby svizzerams » Tue May 08, 2012 4:24 am

While you are waiting you could get one of these:

Can-Am Spyder

Image

or perhaps one of these:

Piaggio MP3
Image
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
User avatar
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette
 
Posts: 6377
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:00 am
Location: Drug Goddess of Chelanistan

Re: Morgan 3 wheeler update

Postby Kurt » Tue May 08, 2012 6:48 pm

Ugggh. I saw Can Am's driving around midtown once years ago (so many people around midtown Manhattan that people get hired to drive stuff for others to see) and they were hideous...but perhaps that is just taste talking as I could see how a Morgan could look disgusting to someone with more of a motorcycle aesthetic.
And from thence they went to Beer....(Num 21:16)
English Bespoke Tailor New York City
Internet research and investigation
User avatar
Kurt
In Manus Manus
 
Posts: 19629
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:29 am
Location: New York City

Re: Morgan 3 wheeler update

Postby Aryan » Tue May 08, 2012 9:55 pm

Great cars...didn't know you could get them in America. Or are you paying a fortune in shipping and taxes to get one sent over?
The battlefield is the only proper school of the surgeon
-Hippocrates
User avatar
Aryan
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 1476
Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: Morgan 3 wheeler update

Postby svizzerams » Tue May 08, 2012 10:15 pm

nah - the morgan is much cooler looking, but these have 3 wheels. I like the can-ams better than the motorcycle trikes.

Kind of has a steam punk esthetic.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
User avatar
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette
 
Posts: 6377
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:00 am
Location: Drug Goddess of Chelanistan

Re: Morgan 3 wheeler update

Postby Kurt » Wed May 09, 2012 1:59 am

Aryan wrote:Great cars...didn't know you could get them in America. Or are you paying a fortune in shipping and taxes to get one sent over?


Same price as in the UK but no VAT. Shipping plus state sales tax is still slightly less than the VAT in the UK on the same purchase.
And from thence they went to Beer....(Num 21:16)
English Bespoke Tailor New York City
Internet research and investigation
User avatar
Kurt
In Manus Manus
 
Posts: 19629
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:29 am
Location: New York City

Re: Morgan 3 wheeler update

Postby Aryan » Thu May 10, 2012 5:05 pm

Kurt wrote:
Aryan wrote:Great cars...didn't know you could get them in America. Or are you paying a fortune in shipping and taxes to get one sent over?


Same price as in the UK but no VAT. Shipping plus state sales tax is still slightly less than the VAT in the UK on the same purchase.

Nice. Does the price include the tweed jacket, smoking pipe and chained monocle or were they extra?
The battlefield is the only proper school of the surgeon
-Hippocrates
User avatar
Aryan
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 1476
Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: Morgan 3 wheeler update

Postby Kurt » Thu May 10, 2012 5:23 pm

Aryan wrote:
Kurt wrote:
Aryan wrote:Great cars...didn't know you could get them in America. Or are you paying a fortune in shipping and taxes to get one sent over?


Same price as in the UK but no VAT. Shipping plus state sales tax is still slightly less than the VAT in the UK on the same purchase.

Nice. Does the price include the tweed jacket, smoking pipe and chained monocle or were they extra?


I got all that except for the monocle (I did almost buy one as "reading glasses" but decided against it since I use both eyes to read.)
And from thence they went to Beer....(Num 21:16)
English Bespoke Tailor New York City
Internet research and investigation
User avatar
Kurt
In Manus Manus
 
Posts: 19629
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:29 am
Location: New York City

Re: Morgan 3 wheeler update

Postby ktrout » Fri May 11, 2012 6:45 am

Kurt wrote:I got all that except for the monocle (I did almost buy one as "reading glasses" but decided against it since I use both eyes to read.)

Don't forget the tweed cap.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
User avatar
ktrout
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 3100
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:12 am
Location: USDA Climate zone 9b

Re: Morgan 3 wheeler update

Postby gnaruki » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:46 pm

So? Have you taken delivery? Did you resell it for double the price?
User avatar
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 1756
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:39 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

PreviousNext

Return to Gear

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests