Motorcycles.

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Motorcycles.

Postby marie-angelique » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:34 pm

Hitoru wrote:187 is my record so far. 200 is on my my bucket list-ha.
Out in the country I cruise along at 140.
BTW I-10 west of San Antonio the speed limit is 80mph and everyone does 90+. There is also a toll road between Austin and San Antonio that is 85 mph.

maybe you should head out here:
http://saltflats.com/

yeah, mr shaw, let's see the new ride?
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Hitoru » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:02 am

I use a straight 3 mile long farm to market rd with a slight decline.
I need something in the 300 mph range to bother with hauling out to Bonneville.

Yeah Shaw, where's yer moto ?
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:46 am

nowonmai wrote:7 months on, has Rickshaw got a bike yet?

I dont even have a license yet. I kinda spent my motorcycle money on a trip to Africa anyway. Its gonna happen tho.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby nowonmai » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:51 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:

I dont even have a license yet. I kinda spent my motorcycle money on a trip to Africa anyway. Its gonna happen tho.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDwsWdcSLBc[/youtube]
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:44 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:

I dont even have a license yet.

I didn't bother to get my license till this year,30 plus years, no tickets. Two warnings. I expect that the UK is stricter than the ol US of A.
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby svizzerams » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:48 pm

40,000 miles around the world in 1932.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Omega » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:38 pm

I used to do 160-180 miles daily, 5 days a week commuting, all weathers in the UK. Killed Honda CB-500s when there was over 80k on the clock. Then got Aprilia touring scooter and it died on me in less than 15k... Since then I was thinking of buying some 300cc Japanese or Taiwanese scooter or Vespa - they all have very good reputation in reliability, maintaining chain when you are doing so many miles as me was just too unpractical for me - I like riding, but hate maintaining, even touring scotoiler did not resolve the problem.
Also looked at old BMWs because they shaft driven, a well built cafe racer with old engine will perhaps cost about £5k, according to my research. However, today I learnt that Harley Davidson is planning to start production of 500 and 750 cc bikes in India and these bikes are made with city travelling (sharper turns) in mind! Plus they will cost something like $7500 US to buy brand new! I felt 500 cc was too much for me even after several years of riding, I just don't like speeding because it is so easy to die on a bike, but 500cc is still well capable to take you over speed limit. It uses belt instead of a chain, so it is great on maintenance! I think I am going to start riding very soon again.
Omega
mach

Postby Woodsman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:53 pm

Belt drive is definitely the best solution. A 1/2" belt is enough to use the horsepower even from a harley. Harley would of course never consider putting something so small on their bikes because people would say they are driven by a rubber band, but you know what? It's better than a shaft or a chain.

I have a touring TK7 scottoiler on my ride and so long as there is ATF in the reservoir, it works pretty good. 20k out though, the chain and sprockets are shot and its a little extra pain to get to the front sprocket on my bike due to the way they put it together. A belt would last at least 50k miles if not more, and a hell of a lot easier to replace, presumably.

I know one guy who was thinking about or did convert his 90' or 91'old Honda RCF bike to belt drive, the problem is replacing the front sprocket with a pulley. There are no pulleys small enough to fit in there if I recall correctly. Why don't they make these bikes belt-drive? It doesn't make sense to me.

If Harley started making practical bikes again as you suggested above, I think that would be a real service to humanity. I'm not holding my breath. They seem to be really sticking to the polished chromed "image" bikes. Nothing wrong with them, just a bit impractical if someone wants to run their bike off road. I mean they'll do it, but half a ton and low fenders isn't too good in the sand. Harley used to make dirt bikes and they were pretty decent. They need to expand their product line beyond black and orange T-shirts and gay pirate souvenir trinkets.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:43 pm

Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby svizzerams » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:28 am

So in 2011 I sold my F650GS "the Ice Bat" partly to fund going back to school and partly because I'd moved and wasn't riding as much. But every time I'd see an adventure bike, esp. a beemer I'd get all sad (yeah I know it is just a dumb machine) - so today I have committed to bringing this little critter home with me. Woot!!!!

Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Hitoru » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:56 pm

Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby gnaruki » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:13 pm

Golf courses and parks are screwed once something like this hits mass production:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scasEb2D4DI[/youtube]
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:48 pm

When i was a teen we would cut the locks at each end of the golf course in San Gabriel Ca. and shred it in the middle of the night on a stolen 175 Suzuki. It was hella fun !
I ditched the cops like 7 times , until the time I ran out of gas. I'll never forget the beating they gave me.
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Woodsman » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:37 pm

Strange freakery that company. Designed WWII-era technology bikes since WWII and only strayed a few times with their shim under bucket bikes like the *-rod series (which is definitely a technological advance). However, they don't make the rat-a-tat sound nor shake synonymous with the classic American moto, so those bikes have been a bit limited compared to the chromed up bar commuter softtails, ultraglides, etc.

Then all of the sudden, they jump into the electric market - wow - well that is quite a jump! The fuel price surge is coming, and when it does, the infrastructure for charging electric vehicles will become mainstream. Count on it.

Personally, as much as I enjoy the sound of a combustion engine winding up, I think it would be incredible to ride something where the primary noise is wind and tires. I don't think I'll jump in line to purchase an electric Harley, but it sure would be an interesting topic of conversation at a club...

Now, to figure out a way to get the speed out of these PLUS the endurance - That's ultimately an electrical storage component issue, and maybe the most important future engineering problem needing a solution. Figure out a way to create a compact electrical energy source in a vehicle that can run quick, fast and hard between major service intervals before it needs a charge and you've got something worthy of truly calling a next generation mode of transportation.

I am optimistic that this will happen.

Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:22 am

electric fucking Harleys
jesus christ
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!