Backpacks

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Backpacks

Postby Bouncer » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:44 pm

Hola!,

Just bought my Tactical Tailor / Urban Operator Bag. Which, is from everything I read A) a really good bag, and B) So gayly goddamned named I had to grit my teeth when I bought it. It replaces my Eagle Industries A-III-P pack that I got in 07/08 at the PX in the green zone. Loved the EA, black as coal and would get so warm sitting on the tarmac/luggage at Sather AB ALL your powerbars would turn to mush. Carted that damn thing all over the planet and never had a complaint, but she needs a rest. Besides, she's gonna become my three day go bag in my trunk.

I'm fretting over this like a child. Not out of gear homo-ness, but because that Eagle bag took everything both modern and decrepit military transport could throw at it and shrugged that shit off like a boss. Also cause' the new bag is taller, but not as wide. So it ends up with like 200cu inches less space. That worries me. I need space. For stuff. And things. Stolen babies I'm smuggling. You know, the usual.

Mr. Urban Operator Bag, you got some big shoes to fill.

I get that we all have to replace gear from time to time, but boots and bags drive me nuts. You've got to live with it day in and day out and if it fails when out and about, you are truly looking stupid.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Carpe Cookius
Bouncer
BFCus Regularus

Re: Backpacks

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:47 am

If it aint bright purple than it aint a proper backpack. It should also come with an outer pocket just the right size for your Lonely Planet guide book.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby diamondcutter13 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:19 am

I have the same Eagle Industries bag and it is indeed bombproof. Love mine and treated it to some serious abuse which it took like a pro but mine was camo so I would never carry it on my own time (except hunting etc). My only complaint about the thing was it was essentially a super-tough sewn student's book bag with molle all over it. Not much in the way of technical features like internal tie down straps etc.

There has to be a balance between the over-engineered crap like Oakley bags and the uber-high priced stuff like Arcteryx, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch etc. that will just draw attention and get stolen. I have not yet settled on a civilian style "daypack" so still looking. In the meantime my battered old black MEC 40 liter is going strong after 20 some years.
Tacuero ceruisa, vigilate hoc
diamondcutter13
BFCus Regularus

Postby buffybot_in_beirut » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:13 am

Urban Operator, LOL. If my cubic inch to litres conversion worked it's about as big as a Jack Wolfskin Berkeley, which is about half the price. Marketed as a daypack school bag, but I've used it in all sorts of situations. It's light, yet amazingly big. Doesn't last forever, but okay for a few years of heavy use. In the good old times when airlines never checked the weight of your carry-on (only its size) I sometimes carried more than 20 kg in it. The shoulder straps will never rip because they are a one-piece continuation of the Berkeley's padded back. The colours get more gay every year, but as long as they make it in dark blue I'm fine.

I also have a couple of Bugout Bags from the time when PXs sold them at a very reasonable $ 59.90 a piece. About as big as a daypack can get. Tons of features, from rucksack to shoulder bag conversion to extension zippers that gain you yet another few litres. Also lasts quite a while, though not forever. Damned thing has so many compartments that you never find anything in it.
buffybot_in_beirut
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bouncer » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:21 pm

So it's arrived. I do like the separate compartment for a laptop. It's not padded, but it does get it out of the way making it easier to access other items. The interior organization is fairly thoughtfully laid out. It seems fairly tough, though the nylon it's made out of isn't as rough feeling as the Eagle Bag. I'm headed overseas for a couple weeks tomorrow so I'll give another impression after I return.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Carpe Cookius
Bouncer
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Wed May 07, 2014 4:55 am

any feedback on the pack yet? I have a kelty map 3500 which does everything I need a pack to do. plus is fairly lightweight & takes a beating.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby missiontripper » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:52 pm

Please update on the TT urban operator pack. Looking for a new backpack and would appreciate the review.
missiontripper

Postby missiontripper » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:41 am

Will RYP or DPX design a hostile environment backpack?
missiontripper

Postby Bouncer » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:44 pm

Sorry about that I was out in the wilds a bit longer than I thought, what with the khat smuggling ring and all.

Anyways, the bag is sturdy and tough and seems like it'll hold up well to repeated tossing around inside of vehicles and whatnot. I have noticed that the elastic cord on the very front (so you can hold a sweater/jacket or small dead animal on the outside) has a tendency to get caught on access hatches or what have you. Thus creating a yo-yo effect where you're being pulled backwards and are all "What the fuck?" until you figure out what is going on. So far it's not enough of an annoyance to cut the cord off, though I have been tempted.

I have become a huge fan of the separate laptop compartment since it allows me to access the main compartment much easier. I do also like the expandable water bottle holder on the side as well as the way it zips back into the bag when not in use. I note that the design of the water bottle holder also makes it ideal for carrying certain types of radios.

The front compartments are well organized, though I wish there were a few more sewn in pen/pencil holders but really, now I'm just making things up to bitch about. I've no regrets.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Carpe Cookius
Bouncer
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:17 am

I just stuck my Blackhawk! Ultralight 3 Day Assault Pack on Ebay as I now have a BlackHawk 100oz Titan Cordura Nylon STRIKE Hydration Pack. Although I definitely notice the weight difference due to the frame, I'm loving the backpack so far!
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:54 pm

I've had the same LL Bean backpack since 1997.

Only one buckle got smashed.

I found that when I started wearing jackets when I travelled that a $40 Eagle Creek duffle did better. Then my last long travel I anticipated car rental and like an idiot forgot my DL on the bathroom sink so I had rolly luggage. That sucked without a car.

But I really cannot see the reason for spending a lot of money on a pack unless I was to be wearing it on my back for 10 hours a day.

I'd go cheap. I'd go used (gear heads are always getting rid of good stuff so they can add better stuff to their collection)
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Bouncer » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:53 pm

Just a small update that the bag has never let me down in over half a dozen countries from the mid-east to Asia and probably 100k+ air miles. I'm a real fan of the coyote brown as it's rather nondescript. All the stitching is in good condition and the zippers still work fine. The bag itself shows fairly minimal wear. Stupid animal carcass/sweater cord on the front still catches on things. Still haven't cut it off. :D

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Carpe Cookius
Bouncer
BFCus Regularus

Postby Jefe » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:35 am

Alice pack. Double. Costs about 30USD and still cant be beat.
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares, inevitably wind up plowing for people with swords".

Jefe: well into a 12 pack of LaBatts Blue (AKA "BlueDevils"
Jefe
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:38 pm

Well, trying to be really cool, I'm kicking around Northern Italy with this thing;

Uncomfortable as hell! The buckles for the shoulder straps dig into your lower back with any weight at all in it. I wanted to look like Indiana Jones!

Wish I had brought my 5.11 Tactical All-Hazard I use for work. Perfect for carrying a camera, sandwich and a thermos to the helo, or for a mountain top hike/picnic.... :)
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:19 pm

I am still using my BlackHawk 100oz Titan Cordura Nylon STRIKE Hydration Pack for shorter trips and really like it. If you pull the two side pouches off and load it with gear, it's JUST small enough to be taken on most planes as hand luggage (although it won't fit in the overhead storage bins of some budget carriers):

When carrying heavier weight I use my Osprey Atmos AG 65. Amazing how light it can make a 27kg / 60lb load feel. Not surprised it got so many awards. Definitely worth the price! http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacks-Backpacking-Reviews/Osprey-Atmos-65-AG. You can read me rant about it in our gear review here: https://kayakthekwanza.wordpress.com/2016/07/10/expedition-gear-reviews-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!