liteweight laptops

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

liteweight laptops

Postby AztecDave » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:34 pm

looking for a liteweight laptop. my old vaio is huge (eiterh 15 or 17 inch screen), weighs a ton & has a charger brick that would demolish a house. saw an ASUS at best buy. small 13 inch screen, super thin, i7 processor, 16 gb ram, & 1/2 terrabite hard drive. about $1200 out the door. only concern is battery life. only need it for email & web surfing. don't want an apple.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Re: liteweight laptops

Postby ROB » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:59 pm

Only laptop that I have owned that has survived longer than 6 months is an 11 inch Air. Sorry. I destroy PC laptops for some reason.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:27 pm

Jesus, breaking laptops is an expensive habit. Personally I swear by dell, but only the business models. My current home laptop is going on 6 years old.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:36 pm

snaark wrote:Jesus, breaking laptops is an expensive habit. Personally I swear by dell, but only the business models. My current home laptop is going on 6 years old.

I have a Dell, had it for about 6 years too though it needs a complete overhaul. Dave if you got 1200 smackaroos to spend on a laptop why not just save a bit of dosh and get a normal one then hire a cooley to schlep it round for ya?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Bouncer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:55 am

Need to know your budget to give a recommendation. Also it would be helpful if you could rank the following:
weight/over all dimensions (are you looking for an ultra portable or a desktop replacement or something in the middle?)
screen size/resolution (are you doing a lot of hi-res work or watching a ton of movies on it?)
graphics processor/gaming (are you using this as a gaming machine or doing video editing?)
Storage requirements (are you going to use portable hard drives, or is this all you will have?)
Desired OS (Windows, Linux or Apple?)
Are you traveling to rough environments with a lot of mud/dust/heat/humidity etc

If you can answer those and rank them in importance it'd be helpful in narrowing your choices.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Carpe Cookius
Bouncer
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:18 pm

ROB wrote:Only laptop that I have owned that has survived longer than 6 months is an 11 inch Air. Sorry. I destroy PC laptops for some reason.

Agreed. I bought a very expensive Sony VAIO Pro 13 4th Gen Core i5 8GB 256GB SSD 13.3 inch Full HD Windows 8 Pro Ultrabook in January 2014 for GBP1121.50. They manufactured them too thin and too light, so they were prone to motherboard damage, overheating and randomly switching off when picked up by one corner. Had to return it to Sony four times before they agreed to give me a partial refund (35%). Will never buy from Sony again.

Have now bought an APPLE MACBOOK AIR 13", EARLY 2014, i7 1.7GHZ CPU, 8GB RAM, 256 SSD, SIERRA OS for GBP700 off Ebay and never looked back. Much more sturdy construction and battery life is excellent. Wish I'd gone with the Air in the first place!
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!