side-effects ->hyperprotein-supplements

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

side-effects ->hyperprotein-supplements

Postby Anonymous » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:12 pm

I'm serious about training , and I'm not really interested in taking steroids .
I am taking a lot of protein 90and other "harmless"supplements...

I donno if it's really healthy when used for a long time , has anyone experienced any problems,or know something more about this.

._=Ishaza=_.
Anonymous

Postby Buzzsaw » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:48 pm

I don't even consider protein powder as a "supplement." Treat it as food, which it is.

The biggest side effect of many supplements is that they thin out your wallet. Buyer beware, big time.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby daviduri » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:56 pm

Deleted post.
Last edited by daviduri on Fri May 05, 2006 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
daviduri

Postby Kurt » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:25 am

Call me weird but I would avoid all powders and just eat eggs.

Cheap and delicious too.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby el3so » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:35 pm

Kurt wrote:Call me weird but I would avoid all powders and just eat eggs. Cheap and delicious too.
Leave out the yolks and then eat as many as you like. Eggwhite isn't exactly the same as protein, but almost...

Pump hard and long, eat regular food for good normal musles.

Hormones and other (even more shady) stuff are often unhealthy and some just make you look buff because they let the muscles absorb extra fluid. Big biceps full of water gives no strength.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Buzzsaw » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:39 pm

www.bodybuilding.com is a gold mine. You'll learn from people who are more than recreational bodybuilders.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby kilroy » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:35 am

i thought most of the proteins and aminos in eggs were in the yolks. could be wrong though.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Composition of an egg

Postby svizzerams » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:15 pm

COMPOSITION

1 - SHELL Outer covering of egg, composed largely of calcium carbonate. May be white or brown depending on bred of chicken. Color does not affect egg quality, flavor, cooking characteristics, nutritive value or shell thickness.
2 - AIR CELL Pocket of air formed at large end of egg caused by contraction of the contents during cooling after laying. Increases in size as egg ages.

3 - SHELL MEMBRANES Two membranes - inner and outer shell membranes - surround the albumen. Provide protective barrier against bacterial penetration. Air cell forms between these two membranes.

4 - THIN ALBUMEN (WHITE) Nearest to the shell. Spreads around thick white of high-quality egg.

5 - THICK ALBUMEN (WHITE) Major source of egg riboflavin and protein. Stands higher and spreads less than thin white in higher-grade eggs. Thins and becoomes indistinguishable from thin white in lower-grade eggs.

6 - CHALAZAE Twisted, cord-like strands of egg white. Anchor yolk in center of egg. Prominent chalazae indicate freshness.

7 - VITELLINE (YOLK) MEMBRANE Closer seal which holds egg yolk.

8 - GERMINAL DISC

9 - YOLK Yellow portion of egg. Color varies with feed of the hen, but doesn't indicate nutritive content. Major source of egg vitamins, minerals and fat and about half of the protein.

Part of why body builders like egg whites is that they are high in protein and have practically zero fat. Fat is in the yolks. 1 cup of egg white contains 26 grams of protein, and 126 calories only 4 calories are from fat. If someone is trying to get down to 5-6% body fat they won't eat the yolk of an egg.

I lift weights at least 5-6 days a week and as an off shoot of that have become interested in the nutritional aspects of bodybuilding. Frankly some of it looks a little scary to me. Pretty extreme measures for those interested what it takes to look like the competitive bodybuilders or fitness competitors. I am only interested in the health benefits but in my reading books and websites (www.bodybuilding.com is really informative). I do find it worrisome about the marketing of the protein supplements and the anabolic products - some of which don't make sense from a pharmacological perspective and others which may not be 'steroids" per se but act as precursors...thus a steroid is a steroid is a steroid...I'm a pharmacist and this whole idea that "natural" is better, safer, etc etc makes me crazy sometimes. Body systems and receptors respond to "chemicals" natural or otherwise...doesn't distinquish natural from synthetic - but that is another entire different discussion.

My trainer used to compete and the things he describes that they do to get ready for a competition actually can kill you. A lot of those guys standing on the stages are actually in the throes of some pretty significant metabolic derangements of electrolytes etc to get that "peak" look. Body building in men is beginning to be seen as the anorexia of women .... it is an interesting subculture. Read: Muscle, by Samuel Fussell. Sometimes serious can be come obsessive.

Personally, I believe that a good weight lifting program should be the basis of any fitness regimen, in addition to regular cardio.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:58 pm

A friend of mine had a recruiter talk him into taking supplements to lose weight so he could go into the military. When all was said and done, he lost the weight, but the military wouldn't take him because his protein levels were off or something like that.
The recruiter screwed his own sale.
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby mach1 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:55 am

Giving your self the gift of a sound and fit body are you? Good for
you.

Reminds me I have been doing more wrist and finger exercises
(vis a vis keyboard)
than anything else lately.

I was going to post (plug) these links
for the X MAs Wish list thread

but thought they might get more exposure here

introducing adventure-lite..with a health twist..very innovative..these guys have got it in the bag IMO

http://www.preseliventure.com/adventure ... tory.shtml

http://www.preseliventure.com/about/profile.shtml

--

Gone to the track...Merry Xmas
mach1
Postus Allthefuckingtimeus

Postby mach1 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:04 pm

Biotin

Biotin is a B-vitamin, which assists in the metabolism of fats, carbohydrates and protein. It also functions as a critical component of several enzymes (where it functions as a coenzyme) involved in energy metabolism.

If someone eats large quantities of raw egg whites, a Biotin deficiency can develop, because a protein in the raw egg white inhibits the absorption of Biotin. The major benefit of biotin as a dietary supplement however, is in strengthening hair and nails. Larger amounts of Biotin may be supportive for diabetics by lowering blood glucose levels. Excess intake of Biotin is excreted in the urine; no toxicity symptoms have been reported.
mach1
Postus Allthefuckingtimeus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!