Best Language Methods

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Best Language Methods

Postby Jon » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:06 am

So what are your favorite language learning methods? Do you like phrasebooks? Textbooks? Tapes?

This is pretty good: http://learnables.com/language_Tips.html

Does anyone have a good method for Farsi?
Jon

Postby daviduri » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:30 am

Deleted post.
Last edited by daviduri on Fri May 05, 2006 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
daviduri

Postby Jon » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:37 am

Thank you!

I've actually read Farber's book. The bit about rescuing the girl in Yugoslavia was awesome. He was an adventurist.

I'm learning Arabic with Pimsular right now. B&N has a store brand of it that around $20 for the first dozen or so CDs.
Jon

Postby kilroy » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:00 am

my favorite method is speaking to someone else who actually knows how to speak the language. unlike tapes and books, you can ask them questions, you have your choice of what vocab you pick up first, and you learn how to speak like real people speak, instead of textbook style. plus you can get used to conversing in real time, instead of having all day to try to figure out what you're going to say.

if there are no native speakers in the area, and you dont have enough cash or time to take a trip to the area where there are some, buy a pc microphone and seek out a patient native speaker for some voice chat. in my experience, a lot of people who speak other languages natively are keen to practice english, so it shouldnt be as hard as you would think.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Jimbo » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:53 am

I believe this subject was brought up once before, but anyway I think the best way to learn a foreign language is from a native speaker, preferably female. I learned the majority of Thai from a former girlfriend, and I picked up Thai slang and curse words/phrases from slutty bargirls ;-) however this is only for speaking & listening aspects of the language...
Jimbo
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:48 am

Jimbo wrote: anyway I think the best way to learn a foreign language is from a native speaker, preferably female. I learned the majority of Thai from a former girlfriend, and I picked up Thai slang and curse words/phrases from slutty bargirls ;-)
LOL
That method sure keeps a man motivated.

Jimbo wrote: however this is only for speaking & listening aspects of the language...
Which should cover 90% of your average needs.
Complex or professional lingo: IMHO no fast lane for any of those.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:35 pm

Charades!
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby redharen » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:37 pm

I think the best way is to bite the bullet and enroll in a college class, if you can find one in the language you want. I've studied four foreign languages, three of which have totally foreign alphabets, and I've found that to juggle new words, letters, sounds, and everything else, that's the best way. Personally, the discipline of a four- or five-day-a-week class helps me know I'll keep at it and get my money's worth.

Of course it should go without saying that the instructor should be a native. And if female assistants are involved, then I agree that that can help with motivation.
redharen
small ax

Immersion

Postby Q » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:48 am

I prefer to learn by total immersion. I know this isn't practical for most people.

Is how I learned German. Father had orders for Germany, and I started taking german classes at the American High School. First German girl I talked too laughed her ass off. I dropped the class the next day and decided it was sink or swim.

Luckily we lived on the economy and I was surrounded by germans my age willing to help me learn.

I'm doing the same with spanish. Well, atleast as best I can. Having the wife speak nothing but spanish to me.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby Mikethehack » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:42 am

Fall in love with someone who speaks the language.
This is the easiest way because you will really pay attention to what they are saying in great detail.
Right now I'm learning Cantonese,before that it was German,Dutch,Arabic,Serbo-Croatian and French.

You can pick up the language in about 3 months if you are infatuated with the speaker.
Most of my journo and ngo pals have all picked up the lingo this way.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby jonas » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:57 am

Gotta second the Pimsleur stuff..but as David said you need the Comprehensive program as the 10 lesson starter sets are worthless...IMHO Pimsleur is the best out there for self study of spoken language. No way in hell I'd buy it from the manufacturer as it is $300US per 30 lesson set( major languages have 90 lessons in the program). You can find it in MP3 with various P2P services and some people sell mp3 versions. I noticed Pimsleur is selling SD card versions called "Bookchips" for half the price...still costly.

Now the living with a native thing??? What a great idea for a language school: "Come get a foreign BF/GF and learn their language...we provide the BF/GF...you provide the desire to learn and a small (cough cough) fee...results guaranteed..."
jonas
BFCus Regularus

Postby jacknife » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:24 pm

Mikethehack wrote:Fall in love with someone who speaks the language.
This is the easiest way because you will really pay attention to what they are saying in great detail.
Right now I'm learning Cantonese,before that it was German,Dutch,Arabic,Serbo-Croatian and French.

You can pick up the language in about 3 months if you are infatuated with the speaker.
Most of my journo and ngo pals have all picked up the lingo this way.

dude, fuck that. just speak english all the fuckin' time to 'em. make 'em "fall in love" with YOU. and if they still don't understand simple commands like "BEER" or "bring me some more rice", or "change the oil on my bike", just fuckin' say it louder. they'll eventually get it and you don't have to learn some useless fuckin' language. SPEAK ENGLISH. they all want to learn it anyway. ever been to india? well i have and you can't beg those buggers to speak hindi or malayalam or punjabi or any of that shit with you to practice. i fuckin' gave up as they all want to learn english. it's a fact. and to their credit, a lot of those bastards speak it better'n ol' jacknife hisself. hate to admit it, but it's the fuckin' truth.
jacknife

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!