Motorcycle recommendation

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Motorcycle recommendation

Postby Land Rover » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:42 am

i am considering taking a Motorcycle Rider Course Riding and Street Skills course at a community college (I have never driven a motorcycle but REALLY want to learn) and would appreciate recommendations on what kind of motorcycle would suit me best (before i talk to a dealer etc.)...i am small.

thanks.
Land Rover
BFCus Regularus

Said in your best russian accent

Postby coldharvest » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:49 am

In Canada, women ride on ass of bike.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby NIJ » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:32 am

No one can really answer that for you right now. Once you've taken the course you'll know a little more about your riding style and will be better able to decide.

Whatever you do don't go out and buy the fastest thing on two wheels. All you will do is die. I'm not kidding.
NIJ
BFCus Regularus

Postby Land Rover » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:03 am

i don't want a fast motorcycle and i certainly don't want to die..i just want something convenient to go short distances mostly.
Land Rover
BFCus Regularus

Postby Medevac » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:11 pm

While it leaves a pretty broad spectrum for interpretation, I can try and help.

First, get a 200 - 250cc four stroke for your first bike. (If you want to go for a road bike, maybe go up to 400cc) They aren't usually too powerful, cheap enough, but also a respectable size as opposed to a scooter.
Do you want a road or a trail bike? Used or new?
The old Suzuki DR200 is a four stroke trail bike that makes an excellent first time ride. It has good manners, gentle power, and cheap as chips. Honda XRs (may be a little tall though), or XLs, and Yamaha TTs are similar.
All road registerable stuff that you can still rark around on firebreaks on.

Only concrete advice I'd give you is don't get a 2 stroke first time round.
Duct tape is just like the Force - it has a light side and a dark side, and holds the Universe together.
Medevac
Peanuticus Gallerius

Land Rover

Postby Tracker » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:41 pm

Hey, Nice to hear that you're wanting to get up on two wheels.

As a past MSF Instructor for the course that you're interested in taking, I'd suggest you find a 125 or 250 sized bike (like the small 250 Honda Rebel) to practice on in a parking lot.

I'd also suggest you look in your area for a local motorcycle club that contains riders on bikes of all brands. In doing so you'll not only be able to interact with future friends; but you'll more than likely meet up with women who can advise you based on your physical stature (which is difficult over the Internet). Someone more than likely will also have an older 125 or 250 to loan or sell you, based on their assessment of your character.

I would like to state that it is NOT adviseable to 'borrow'(nor loan) a motorcycle due to liability issues. You should get a learner's permit, and then let your insurance company know of your interest in taking the MSF class. They offer discounts for doing so in many cases.

Swizzerams is an accomplished Lady rider here, you should PM her for further info; or myself if you're so inclined.

Ciao!
RIP EC
It's a Mirage, I'm not REALLY here!
Tracker
Tracker

Postby svizzerams » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:21 pm

Hey K - I took the MSF course a few years back and had never operated a motorbike before - in fact had only ridden a few times on the back of one. And CH - I don't like being a damn passenger!!!! LOL.

Anyway to practice and learn the skills I got a Yamaha Virago 250cc - sweet little cruiser (I just sold that recently BTW to a guy who teaches the MSF here because he has alot of the newbies he encourages to get a 250cc - he buys and refurbishes a lot of Honda Rebel - 250ccs as well. He always cringes 'cause most people want to go out and buy some monster Harley Hog with their M-3 rating barely dry on the ole driver's license). Since my primary purpose in mind for having a bike was as a runabout for short commutes to work, to the health club and downtown - all within about 3 mile radius of my home I bought a Aprilia Scarbeo 150cc motor scooter. The features I looked for were - more power than a 50cc bike can deliver - we have a lot of hills and arterials that require some get up and go; the bigger motorcycle size tires as preemptive strikes against the massive potholes in our streets; the automatic transmission is nice as well and the seat configuration allows me to ride in a dress in a ladylike fashion. Its a pretty french blue (or should I say "freedom" blue); gets fabulous gas mileage and has a nice little box on the back to put in groceries, purse, etc etc. If you buy a bungee spider web you can also load it down with a sack of dog food and other gear on the passenger seat. I love riding my bike and feel claustrophobic now in my car...but as its a beautiful sunny day and 18 degrees out at the moment, the car is a wiser choice.

My dream bike at the moment for no particular reason other than I think it is awesomely cool looking and the cc's are about right for me is the Honda 599 - a very spare "naked" standard bike with sporty styling but a more sane seat configuration than a sport bike.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Land Rover » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:12 am

thx for all your tips! ...i really appreciate it. i was trying to research via the internet but was a bit dubious about the information i was finding ... i do want a road bike and it doesn't matter if it is old or new or pricey - (however i do have a penchant for the vintage) i just hate talking to dealers when i don't know what i am talking about.

and i am not a passenger CH!

i may pm you with more questions if you don't mind

cheers.

[/img]
Land Rover
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:17 am

coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Land Rover » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:38 am

ch- i can't get the photos to enlarge, but the one called "Planet" looks good! it says it's for various road conditions, it's their middle class bike and doesn't look too beefy.. cheers.
Land Rover
BFCus Regularus

Postby anna » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:50 am

Last edited by anna on Tue May 03, 2005 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anna
BFCus Regularus

Re: good luck and be careful

Postby Land Rover » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:18 pm

anna wrote:i agree with Coldharvest on this one. the trick is finding someone you trust for the front of the motorcycle. i rode bikes out in the dirt before i was old enough to get a license. that i would still do with a smaller bike. my cousin insisted i take his 750 out and it fell over on me every time i had to stop. i see a surprising number of women riding hogs here. most of them look pretty butch. one of my neighbors got one and i was scared to death for her as she's small but her husband rides and she's still alive.

i do think about living somewhere where i could ride a horse to town. i read an article recently about Karumba (always wondered where that word came from) on Australia's north coast and thought it looked like a likely spot but then they went on to interview the local camel renter.

i do like beautiful cars and bikes and horses. anything beautiful is art.

I am sort of dumbfounded by your response, as I think coldharvest was being a little sarcastic...i appreciate your concern for my safety, however, it would be more than a little inconvenient to rely upon "
someone I trust for the front of the motorcycle" every time i want to go somewhere, especially if i want to go by myself. as for being scared, i'm a responsible adult who is in top physical condition and frankly, i have done a lot scarier things that attempt to ride a motorcycle. And lastly, as for looking butch, i'm not worried about that for a zillion reasons, one of which is that to not do something you want to do because of how you look, is plain dumb and oppressive.

p.s. are you really lonelymoon, posing as a chick?
Omit needless words.
Land Rover
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:44 pm

being a little sarcastic

No way.
A Russian ride would be badass.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Land Rover » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:08 pm

coldharvest wrote:
being a little sarcastic

No way.
A Russian ride would be badass.

being sarcastic about riding in the back, not about getting a russian ride......

i did look at the website...do i have to go to russia to get one?
Omit needless words.
Land Rover
BFCus Regularus

Postby anna » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:47 am

Last edited by anna on Tue May 03, 2005 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anna
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!