What's the best HAM operator radio system??

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

What's the best HAM operator radio system??

Postby yorick » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:25 pm

Am thinkin for creepin around the airwaves...... yet also with RC emergency/assistance capabilities on regular frequencies.

There's a HAM show this weekend at nearby community college, hackers delight with plenty of custom systems. One item I'm already planning to pick up is a broadband scanner.

Already have a 10 meter set up, what other stuff would y'all recommend?? Maybe a 440 and/or 2 meter system?

(:=
yorick
malum discordiae

Postby yorick » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:47 pm

Update on the radio show:

To hell with broad band UHF/VHF scanners - too damned expensive at $300+ Meanwhile they sold out on 222-225 mhz SSB & FM mobile hamster sets before I got there. But snagged a bargain on Valentine radar/lazer detector at $25. Also traded up with better microphone for the Gallaxy HF 10 meter.

Better yet were contacts I made there.... discovered the local radio club and can soon take my FCC without fear of failure, armed with the standard Tech II text by Gordon West.

Been told there's never been a better time to git into hamateur radio with increasing demand at emergency situation management....... say if/when shit hits the fan, radical weather disasters, civil war breaks out or armageddon finally occurs.

Yeppers, I like to think on hamateur radio as primary producers of the emergency information super-highway, holding shit together when more popular networks get jammed with spam.

yorick
malum discordiae

Postby Kurt » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:13 am

Yorick..I don't know squat about Ham Radio but every Linux install I ever did had a whole section of HAM compatable programs.

Google HAM + Linux or any combo you feel is good.

Or check out this site to see if any of the features might be useful to you.

http://radio.linux.org.au/

This one might be interesting to check out:

http://hamshack-hack.sourceforge.net/

You can test it on any PC without overwriting the current OS.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby yorick » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:15 am

It's coveted FCC call sign letters that make the difference...... Plus we've got important access already in place, grandfathered repeaters, RC / ICE emergency frequencies, etc.

That Linux system sounds like a rich man's toy to me. Yeah sure, can toss it on the wish list..... alongside wireless internet and class-c motorhome.

Meanwhile, I'll be the impoverished fellow shooting antenna wires with bow'n arrow out of a cheap custom built HeathKit base station (if i can find one) even at Arizona, sleeping outdoors next to my beatup car.

Wish me luck at FCC licensing, got planned whistle stop en route at Albaqurque T/A to visit my pal, Tony, the finest radio tech in the USA. My hope is to acquire a licensed Baldwin receiver/transmitter combo - but a rebuilt cheap HeathKit is probably just as good.

yorick
malum discordiae

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!