Forboding.......

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby Tarkan » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:05 pm

My biggest complaint with the Federal guv is the lack of the hammer coming down hard. It was pretty clear by the first night after landfall that things were spiraling out of control, when it became obvious that the police were unable to control the looting. It's a short logical jump from there to realizing the police can't control rapes or murders either.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:08 pm

Tarkan wrote:My biggest complaint with the Federal guv is the lack of the hammer coming down hard. It was pretty clear by the first night after landfall that things were spiraling out of control, when it became obvious that the police were unable to control the looting. It's a short logical jump from there to realizing the police can't control rapes or murders either.

Force once, I am in complete and total agreement with Tarkan.

The government should be like a good guard dog. Friendly to family members, ever vigilant without getting in the way, and bringing the hammer down on anyone who starts some shit.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby Ribeye » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:23 pm

Buzzsaw wrote:They should evacuate all the good people, then blow up the levee and flood the hoodlums...

...then plug in a giant toaster and throw it in the water with them.

True, that is the worst kind of person, inhuman fucking animals.
This is situation is making me sick.
Ribeye
Drunkulous Nucleus

Postby Mccinny » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:38 pm

Svizz,
I think it's safe to say you aren't alone in your feeling of forboding.

I dare say those bible-bashing funda-mentalists won't be saying "hallallulah"- more like, "I told you so, it's all in the book of revelations"... ....

http://bible.com/

Ummm.....We told you so

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:57 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like the south has gone even further south.
Can I be the first to predict civil war between the south and everyone else because....well I just want another war, really,just a war where I can have fried chicken all the time and really nice BBQ spare ribs and lots of Woodford Reserve and Jack Daniels to wash it down with (that's why I got bored with Iraq and Israel-they just don't know how to barbecque)
Plus,wouldn't it be really cool to see a firefight taking place in Disneyland?
Just let me know when it's about to kick off. I'm going back to my own little fantasy world till then....

Does this mean that Europe will be backing any further uncivil excursions as before? ;-)

Or better yet, let's look at the truth:

The mayor of New Orleans is pointing the finger at the real culprits, and it's documented~`the order to cut off funds to fix the levees came from the White House, not from Congress,. Because they needed to divert the funds to Iraq as per the PNAC plan.

It was known to the white House that the levees were already weak, in need of shoring up, and yet even after the bad hurricane season of last year they refused to take care of what was deemed the Number One natural castrophe to hit America by the Red Cross.

True, funds shouldn't be dragged away from the basics in life such as strengthening a levee. But, forgive me for saying, when you're living under sea/Lake/River level and you can't understand where the water is coming from something is wrong. By no means am I saying that they had it coming or so on, but if you live on a coastline or again, surrounded by levees, it's always a gamble with mother nature. So, I don't think any finger pointed can really be warranted at this point.

D
Mccinny
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kasca » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:39 pm

My biggest complaint with the Federal guv is the lack of the hammer coming down hard. It was pretty clear by the first night after landfall that things were spiraling out of control, when it became obvious that the police were unable to control the looting. It's a short logical jump from there to realizing the police can't control rapes or murders either.

>>>Nobody was standing -by-. They were standing _down_.
"...That was some weird shit."

- George W. Bush, after hearing Donald Trump's Inauguration speech. January 20, 2017. Washington D. C.
Kasca
BFCus Regularus

Re: Forboding.......

Postby seektravelinfo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:28 am

svizzerams wrote:There is something about this particular disaster that is somehow more unnerving than the 9-11 attacks. And I'm kitty korner across the country from the whole thing. Anyone else feeling the same way? All those billions used to wreck a country that wasn't truly a threat and now those resources (manpower, money) aren't available to rebuild within our own borders.

I know what you mean. 9/11 had a poetic and epic quality. The images of the planes slicing through the buildings. The immediate mobilization of the first responders, the sickening realization that so many were struck down whilst trying to save lives, hundreds of them in an instant, thousands dead in total, the confrontation of the truth of the deadly reality of Islamic terrorism, the inscrutability of bin Laden, the poignant and temporary American solidarity, the international good will ....... as we mythologized & romanticized 9/11, the systematic unraveling of possibilities for peace with Bush licking his chops to invade Iraq.
Oh wait, let me back up, did I say Iraq? What connection did Iraq have to 9/11?
oh well, never mind.

Now this hurricane and these floods: Through nature, assisted by global warming, we're witnessing a truly horrible aftermath of human suffering , our own people, while our president stands by as useless as a third tit.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:55 am

Good god, the bullshit and the idiocy gets thick in here sometimes.

Lets take the LANG first. They have 3000 men and women deployed to Iraq. 40,000 NG are currently being deployed to southern LA. The NG in Iraq would not have made much of a difference.

Secondly, this storm has nothing to do with global warming. There have been 3 category 5 hurricanes to hit the US since the 20th century. Katrina wasn't one of them. Seek, you're uninformed, and you're an idiot.

If you go here:
http://garnet.acns.fsu.edu/~jelsner/PDF ... ns1999.pdf

On the third page is a graph since 1886 showing hurricane frequency. Plenty of oscillations, but the trend is very flat.

Once again, the destructiveness of hurricanes isn't because they are coming more frequently or are more powerful, it's because more and more people are living in affected regions. Computer models run before Katrina indicated that the NOI levee system would break down even from a strong Category 2 hurricane. That's what happens when you build your city in a bowl surrounded by a lake to the north (that's higher than the city), and the sea to south (that's higher than the city).
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dim » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:00 am

I think this has less to do with global warming, and more to do with building a city below sea level in between the sea and a big lake.

The last time I went to NO I took a streetcar out to one of the levees and watched the ships sailing on down the Mississippi two stories above street level and thought: 'what would happen to the city if a terrorist blew this up?'

I guess my question has been answered.

Apparently NO has been sinking at the rate of about six feet a century, while the silt and mud caused by the levee system has been raising the level of the river every year. The cities been untenable for a while now. It'll be interesting to see if it's rebuilt or simply abandoned and left as a quaint tourist attraction - kinda like Galveston.

And I'm shocked (shocked!) to see that widespread gun ownership hasn't prevented the outbreak of looting, widespread gang-rape and murder that we've been hearing about. I thought an armed society was a polite society? Given that every gun-store in the city has been looted in the past few days I would have thought that South LA would now be very polite indeed . . .
Dim
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:35 am

40,000 NG are in the area affected by Katrina?

The stuff I am reading from Yahoo! and Reuters says that 30,000 will be sent..Implying they are not there yet.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... tary_dc_10

Apparently there are 6000 in Louisiana now.

According to the Army Times troops are indeed short.

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1- ... 066780.php

Even if they were not, the place of the National Guard is home to be at the disposal of State Governors.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Stiv » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:16 am

Lawlessness in New Orleans
Sep 2, 2005, 06:24 AM

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Ragtag armies of the desperate and hungry begged for help, corpses rotted along flooded sidewalks and bands of armed thugs thwarted fitful rescue efforts as Americans watched the Big Easy dissolve before their eyes.

About 4:35 a.m. Friday, a series of massive explosions along the riverfront a few miles south of the French Quarter jolted residents awake. The cause of the blasts or the extent of any possible damage was not immediately known. An initial explosion sent flames of red and orange shooting into the pre-dawn sky.

A series of smaller blasts followed and then acrid, black smoke that could be seen even in the dark. The vibrations were felt all the way downtown. The explosions appeared to originate close to the east bank of the Mississippi River, near a residential area and rail tracks. At least two police boats were at the scene

Explosion, Fires Reported in New Orleans

By ALLEN G. BREED
The Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS - An explosion jolted residents awake early Friday, illuminating the pre-dawn sky with red and orange flames over the city where corpses rotted along flooded sidewalks and bands of armed thugs thwarted fitful rescue efforts.

Congress was rushing though a $10.5 billion aid package, the Pentagon promised 1,400 National Guardsmen a day to stop the looting and President Bush planned to visit the region. But city officials were seething with anger about what they called a slow federal response to the catastrophe.

"They don't have a clue what's going on down there," Mayor Ray Nagin told WWL-AM Thursday night.

"Excuse my French - everybody in America - but I am pissed."
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby lightstalker » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:27 am

looks like those folks better call the "affirmaitve action" line..cos the white aint comin' =.
The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Postby seektravelinfo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:46 am

Tarkan wrote:
Secondly, this storm has nothing to do with global warming. There have been 3 category 5 hurricanes to hit the US since the 20th century. Katrina wasn't one of them. Seek, you're uninformed, and you're an idiot.

I wouldn't pooh-pooh the role that global warming has been playing in weather trends across the globe. There are plenty of informed scientists who would dispute you, Tarkan.

Also, about 3 years ago mas a manos the Baton Rouge newspaper wrote an article predicting how a catastrophic hurricane would play out in New Orleans. This report was eerily accurate, right down to their estimates of how much of the population would be able to successfully evacuate.

In spite of this information being presented the Bush White House rescinded funding to strengthen the levees, diverting the money to Iraq. The Department of Homeland Security can't seem to pry it's thumb out of it's ass. Duct tape proving useless now in assisting with this disaster. Hate to even think this, let alone say it out loud, but this is a prime moment for a terrorist attack on a major American target. Woeful is our emergency preparedness and response. Brightest ray of hope and recovery at this moment is the fact that Clinton is stepping up to the plate.

Call me an idiot if you want, Tarkan. At least I'm not a Texan, but if I were, I'd be working to get Kinky Friedman elected as my governor.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby NIJ » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:49 pm

All of this raises another good point. We've been spending billions on emergency preparedness since 9/11. Where the fuck has all the money gone?
NIJ
BFCus Regularus

Postby Buzzsaw » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:02 pm

The global warming nonsense we're hearing is a load of transparently obvious crap. Just some jackasses trying to push their fool agenda at the most tactless of times.

Something has gone terribly wrong with the evacuation. It's like no one on the ground is in charge. This better not be racially motivated.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby coldharvest » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:59 pm

Where the fuck has all the money gone?

Straight into the pockets of GWB's buddies.
Can you imagine what would have happened if it was a terrorist attack?
I mean fuck me, you've been ready(ish) for hurricanes and tornados
for awhile now and it seems to get worse not better.
I sincerly pray you don't have an attack anytime, the question is,
When you do and the same shambles happens, what will you do
as Americans?
Shrug and hope things get better?
When are your leaders going to lead?
All they seem to be doing is crying or congratulating each other for nothing.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe