Nursing Home Owner Abandoned Patients?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Nursing Home Owner Abandoned Patients?

Postby media » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:13 pm

Keep am ear out for the next few days & watch this to make the news..A nursing home owner left patients to drown at the home. Before the storm I talked with a woman who was going to get her grandmother out after buses refused to go get them....so anyway the Atty Gen of La wants to talk with this owner but he is 'hiding"
Last edited by media on Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
media
BFCus Regularus

Postby goat balls » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:19 pm

No way. It was Rove. Rove bribed him to leave and then Rove went in and ate their eyeballs.

It's true man. Saw it over at moveon.org.

Said it tasted like chicken.
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kasca » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:05 am

He would if could but he wasn't on the scene. Where -was- Rove when these people were begging for help?

Patients put down

September 12, 2005

DOCTORS working in hurricane-ravaged New Orleans killed critically ill patients rather than leave them to die in agony as they evacuated.

With gangs of rapists and looters rampaging through wards in the flooded city, senior doctors took the harrowing decision to give massive overdoses of morphine to those they believed could not make it out alive.

One New Orleans doctor told how she "prayed for God to have mercy on her soul" after she ignored every tenet of medical ethics and ended the lives of patients she had earlier fought to save.

Her heart-rending account has been corroborated by a hospital orderly and by local government officials.

One emergency official, William Forest McQueen, said: "Those who had no chance of making it were given a lot of morphine and lain down in a dark place to die."

Euthanasia is illegal in Louisiana and the doctors spoke only on condition on anonymity.

Their families believe their confessions are an indictment of the appalling failure of US authorities to help those in desperate need after Hurricane Katrina flooded the city, claiming thousands of lives and making 500,000 homeless.

"I didn't know if I was doing the right thing," the doctor said.

"But I did not have time. I had to make snap decisions, under the most appalling circumstances, and I did what I thought was right.

"I injected morphine into those patients who were dying and in agony.

"If the first dose was not enough, I gave a double dose.

"And at night I prayed to God to have mercy on my soul."

The doctor, who finally fled her hospital late last week in fear of being murdered by the armed looters, denied her actions were murder.

"This was not murder, this was compassion. They would have been dead within hours, if not days," she said.

"What we did was give comfort to the end. I had cancer patients who were in agony. In some cases the drugs may have speeded up the death process.

"We divided the hospital's patients into three categories: Those who were traumatised but medically fit enough to survive, those who needed urgent care, and the dying.

"People would find it impossible to understand the situation.

"I had to make life-or-death decisions in a split second.

"It came down to giving people the basic human right to die with dignity.

"There were patients with 'do not resuscitate' signs. Under normal circumstances some could have lasted several days. But when the power went out, we had nothing.

"Some of the very sick became distressed. We tried to make them as comfortable as possible.

"The pharmacy was under lockdown because gangs of armed looters were roaming around looking for their fix.

"You have to understand these people were going to die anyway."

Mr McQueen, a utility manager for the town of Abita Springs, half an hour north of New Orleans, told relatives that patients had been "put down", saying: "They injected them, but nurses stayed with them until they died."

Mr McQueen, who worked closely with emergency teams, added: "They had to make unbearable decisions."

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story ... 22,00.html
"...That was some weird shit."

- George W. Bush, after hearing Donald Trump's Inauguration speech. January 20, 2017. Washington D. C.
Kasca
BFCus Regularus

Postby media » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:51 pm

They are now charged with 34 counts of of negligent homicide

Attorney Gen. Charles C. Foti Jr. announced today that owners of St. Rita's Nursing home in St. Bernard Parish surrendered to Medicaid Fraud Control Unit investigators in Baton Rouge today at 3 p.m. (CENTRAL) in Baton Rouge, La.

Mable B. Mangano, who is listed as both an owner and administrator and Salvador A. Mangano, Sr., listed as a co-owner, were arrested and booked into the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison as fugitives. Mable Mangano and Salvador Mangano Sr. are each charged with 34 counts of negligent homicide.

The charges stem from Mable Mangano and Salvador Mangano Sr;s alleged failure to evacuate St. Ritas nursing home, contrary to the facilitiys own evacuation plan and in violation of the St. Bernard Parish's mandatory evacutation. Additionally, subsequent to the mandatory evacuation order, authorities offered to sent two buses and drivers to evacuate residents from the facility and the Mangano's allegedly declined this offer. An estimated 34 nursing home residents drowned in the rising flood waters that enfulfed the residential care facility. Since the victims have not been positively identified at this time, no information is being released to the families.

"My investigation found enough reason to place these individuals under arrest. I think in times of tragedy we have to act immediately to correct a wrong and we did that in this case. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of these 34 victims tonight," sates Attorney General Foti.

"I also want to remind everyone that although these individuals have been charged, they should be considered innocent until proven guilty by a court of law," added General Foti.

END
media
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:06 pm

Saint Rita's? I wonder if the local Catholic diocese had taken any measures to assist with the evacuation of these poor folks.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Qwazy Wabbit » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:13 pm

Additionally, subsequent to the mandatory evacuation order, authorities offered to sent two buses and drivers to evacuate residents from the facility and the Mangano's allegedly declined this offer.

Sure. Why should the hopeless authorities even wait until the relatives of the dead are informed before starting butt covering exercise. Much better to get your friends in the media to put your version of events out there first.
Qwazy Wabbit
BFCus Regularus

Postby goat balls » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:09 pm

Qwazy Wabbit wrote:
Additionally, subsequent to the mandatory evacuation order, authorities offered to sent two buses and drivers to evacuate residents from the facility and the Mangano's allegedly declined this offer.

Sure. Why should the hopeless authorities even wait until the relatives of the dead are informed before starting butt covering exercise. Much better to get your friends in the media to put your version of events out there first.

Any city, county, township or state is full of bug eyed morons if they depend on the Federales to rescue them within 48 hours of this kind of storm. The Feds, among other things, are all about political correctness and PC kills:

A team of Indiana firefighters, volunteering to help rescue victims of Katrina, went to Atlanta, where Federal Emergency Management Agency staffers told them that their job was to hand out fliers and that their first task was to attend a multi-hour course on sexual harassment and equal employment opportunity.

This is, astonishingly, standard operating procedure at FEMA. And in other parts of the federal government: Former CIA agent Robert Baer writes in his recent book how in Central Asia he asked headquarters to send someone who spoke Afghan languages, and Langley offered to send a four-member sexual harassment team, instead. These are perhaps things to keep in mind when it comes time to assess the response to Katrina. Government is a clumsy instrument.
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby SRR » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:14 pm

Central Asia he asked headquarters to send someone who spoke Afghan languages, and Langley offered to send a four-member sexual harassment team, instead.

Send 'em back if they're white males as well. We require women, visible minorities, people who voted Democrat, and people living in American housing projects.

If they require training, we'll train them. As well as put them through the sexual harassment course. Then, ten years down the road, we can send them to the Katrina disaster zone.

(Or we could just send the white males down there to help out right away.... but too many lobby groups would bitch endlessly about that.)
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby Outkast » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:10 am

This whole thing is disgusting. Some of those patients can't even be moved for bathing for fear of killing them. You can not take a tube fed patient on a respirator and dump them onto a bus. These kinds of patients are put in a nursing home *because* they would die if they were to leave it.

Those nurses and staff did what they could. Anybody who wants "justice" to be taken on these people needs a good swift steel pole to the nether-regions.
<i>Homo-janai!!!</i>
Outkast
Resident Zionist Puppet

Postby mp007 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:38 am

Euthanasia was the logical thing to do, but to turn around and tell the world about it for hope of some kind of feel-good absolution was not. The charge should be cardinal stupidity rather then negligent homicide. What part was negligent, anyway?
mp007
BFCus Regularus

Postby Outkast » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:44 am

They were probably supposed to magically levitate the patients out of state to safety...

But yeah, that was pretty stupid to inform everyone else about it.
<i>Homo-janai!!!</i>
Outkast
Resident Zionist Puppet

Postby sparrow » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:54 am

Beam me up.
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Return to Black Flag Cafe