Linguists Needed?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Linguists Needed?

Postby Outkast » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:43 am

Anybody know of some places currently requiring linguists? I'm getting ready to learn my next language, and I wanted to know where interpreters, etc. are needed in the world right now...
<i>Homo-janai!!!</i>
Outkast
Resident Zionist Puppet

Postby db36046 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:56 pm

Wycliffe Bible Translators always need linguists, and their are the best in the world. They are fairly picky about whom they send, however...
db36046
BFCus Regularus

Postby jonas » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:10 pm

I would love to translate a bible...the religious types however would NOT love me to translate a bible.
jonas
BFCus Regularus

Postby Stiv » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:31 pm

Universities, hospitals and Fed and local goverment. My sis has made a career speaking Spanish. Our hospital always needs interperters for non english speaking patients. If they aren't in house we call the university.

Regards,
Stiv
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby soulohio » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:41 pm

stiv...how has your sis made a career out of her abilities with another language? which language? i am interested....i would like to get fluent in spanish and get paid for it...
where are you going? why don't you walk the wheel with us? what is the matter my american friend? what has upset you?
soulohio
BFCus Regularus

Postby Stiv » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:49 pm

stiv...how has your sis made a career out of her abilities with another language? which language? i am interested....i would like to get fluent in spanish and get paid for it...

She studied Spanish in Uni and got a job with immigrations during the amnesty a number of years back. Then she got a job in the county public defenders office, and then in the Probation office. We have a huge community of migrant workers who seem to always need someone who speaks the language when they get in trouble.

Best,
Stiv
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby soulohio » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:11 pm

what kinda money does your sis make, for example? is this a square job with benefits?
where are you going? why don't you walk the wheel with us? what is the matter my american friend? what has upset you?
soulohio
BFCus Regularus

Postby Stiv » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:42 pm

Don't really know as her and I are not real close. Suffice to say she is the big bread winner in her family. Her hubby works at the court house also he's Columbian.

Best,
Stiv
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby jonas » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:44 pm

Soul...every hospital I have worked for has interpreters on staff...full time paid jobs. They always have Spanish and depending on the need (high immigrant pop in certain neighborhood for ex.) maybe some others as well. Granted this was in the midwest where language skills are hard to come by...in AZ for example tons of the staff already speak spanish so it is a less likely proposition there.
jonas
BFCus Regularus

Postby Outkast » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:30 pm

I thought about a govt job maybe, but I'm not very informed on what's avaiable...

If I wanted a language job that required traveling, what would would a good one be?
<i>Homo-janai!!!</i>
Outkast
Resident Zionist Puppet

Postby jonas » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:46 pm

Find a rich guy that wants to hire a personal interpreter to follow him around....not sure if it is practical but it was an idea that popped in the old grape...
jonas
BFCus Regularus

Postby Outkast » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:38 pm

That would work, but you kinda have to be in the right place at the right time to get noticed, I would think...
<i>Homo-janai!!!</i>
Outkast
Resident Zionist Puppet

Re: Linguists Needed?

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:47 am

Outkast wrote:Anybody know of some places currently requiring linguists? I'm getting ready to learn my next language, and I wanted to know where interpreters, etc. are needed in the world right now...

Out with it, Outkast, what languages are you studying? It makes a difference in what you can do with them...

m-a
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Outkast » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:22 am

English is my first; I have near fluency in Spanish; about intermediate in Japanese; and just beginning to pick up Modern Hebrew. More are scheduled for when I can get to them...
<i>Homo-janai!!!</i>
Outkast
Resident Zionist Puppet

Outkast

Postby Vincent » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:08 pm

Hate to tell you, but those languages are not high-demand languages, in government anyway.

Chinese, Pashtu, Farsi, Dari and Arabic, probably in that order, will get you to teh front of the line.
Vincent
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe