take a poll

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Do you support the Ban of Michael Moores film in the USA ?

yes
14%
no
86%

Total votes : 37

Postby RYP » Wed May 26, 2004 2:01 pm

Moore has gone full time bloated hack.

First of all his books were never banned. The information in them is suspect and much of it invented or presented without presenting the entire picture.

second of all his attempt to portray his main stream film is a clumsy attempt to give his film buzz. He was fine as a bumbling humorist who was for the "little man" But now isnt he just anoher fat cat manipulating the little guy to make money?

Tell Michael Moore that if wants to be idealistic to put his film on the internet and sell it direct. I am sure he will make his money back and the great unwashed will see his profound message...that a communists doesn't like a neocon president...
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby RYP » Wed May 26, 2004 2:10 pm

From the Moore hype machine at www.michaelmoore.com

Friends,

Hello from Cannes! I’m sure by now many of you have heard the good news—“Fahrenheit 9/11” has won the top prize at the Cannes Film Festival. It is the first time in nearly 50 years a documentary has won the Palme d’Or (the Golden Palm).

Myself and twenty-six members of our crew are here in Cannes and we are in a state of shock. None of us expected this. First came the critics’ reviews on Monday (The New York Times called it my best film ever), then the audience reaction at our premiere (a 20-minute standing ovation, a new all-time record for the festival), the International Federation of Film Critics Award on Friday, and then the best film prize last night. It’s all been an incredible week for us and I can’t wait to get back home and show you all this wonderfully powerful film we’ve made.

No, we still don’t have a distributor in America as I write this but after winning the world’s top film prize I’d give it about one more day (if that) before we have someone brave enough (and smart enough) to show Americans what the world can already see (Albania, this week, became the final country—other than the U.S.—to sign on with a distributor).

I am still hoping for a July release (4th of July weekend?) both in the U.S. and around the world.

I fully expect the right wing and the Republican Party to come at me and this film with everything they’ve got. They will try, as they have unsuccessfully in the past, to attack me personally because they cannot win the debate on the issues the film raises—namely, that they are a pack of liars and the American people are on to them. And, if the early screenings of “Fahrenheit 9/11” are any indication, those who see this movie will never view the Bush administration in the same way again. Even if you already can’t stomach George W. Bush & Co., I think this movie will take you to places you haven’t gone before, with laughter and with tears.

I will let you all know—as soon as we have a distributor—the date the film is opening. Until then, check out some of the articles that have been written, and check out the awards ceremony from Cannes.

Thanks everyone for your support.

Yours,
Michael Moore
mmflint@aol.com
www.michaelmoore.com

P.S. When you hear the wackos on Fox News and elsewhere refer to this prize as coming from “the French,” please know that of the nine members of the Festival jury, only ONE was French. Nearly half the jury (four) were Americans and the President of the jury was an American (Quentin Tarantino). But this fact won’t stop the O’Reillys or the Lenos or the Limbaughs from attacking the French and me because, well, that’s how their simple minds function.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby el3so » Wed May 26, 2004 2:27 pm

Romeo247 wrote:Gestapo and there censorship.
well, not quite...

If Moore and his key associates were already executed on orders of a special court for un-American activities, all the reels were burned publicly and anyone caught seeing illegal copies or sympathizing with him in public would be put in a deathcamp classed as a nacht und nebel convict, then it would have that Gestapo touch.

This seems to me like having to wait just a bit longer for a movie (not a documentary) that 'll only strengthen some Americans in their belief that their current president isn't such a nice guy while a rather obese fellow with glasses an a baseball cap laughs all the way to the bank for all of this free marketing.
I do wonder how much of the profits Moore donates to his hometown of Flint, Michigan...

Heck, as long as American voters aren't influenced by a movie, it's not a big deal...
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Hayduke » Wed May 26, 2004 3:27 pm

If Micheal Moore were really idealistic he would drive around the country in a VW microbus with film and a projector and show the movie for free , projected onto the side of a building, in every town in the USA while passing the hat for gas money.
Hayduke
BFCus Regularus

Postby Buzzsaw » Wed May 26, 2004 3:36 pm

While I have no personal interest in seeing Moore's film, if I was a cinema distributor I would sell it as long as the negative publicity didn't hurt my core business.

The film has hardly been banned. It's just no one wants to touch it because they recognize Moore for what he is. It would be tough for a modern day Goebbels to find an American distributor also.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby Buzzsaw » Wed May 26, 2004 3:39 pm

One other comment...from the letter RYP posted it is obvious that Moore is a bit insecure about his own positions and wisdom. One who finds it necessary to personally attack ones critics has more than his own share of problems. They disagree with me, therefore, they are stupid. Very convincing argument.

And, by the way, mix in a salad you fat sack of excrement.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby Renard » Wed May 26, 2004 4:03 pm

I have yet to see the film but i question its "groundbreaking" and original content. I saw a similar documentary last year on the CBC investigating the Bush-Bin Laden connection.

Here's the link to that website:

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/conspiracytheories/saudi.html
Renard
BFCus Regularus

to hack or not to hack

Postby beentheredonethat » Wed May 26, 2004 7:31 pm

well Hack or not...the film should not be prevented
due to fear of POLITICAL reprisals. Which is what has happened.

Yes it will be seen in America.... and Diseny will lose.

Most film people are bloated. But nothing wrong with that
it is Americas new scary government that is wrong. And Mr.Moore
may not be Felini that is certain, but he is new and interested,
and America will make this film a best seller or at least RENTAL.
beentheredonethat

Postby patriot » Wed May 26, 2004 8:11 pm

Absolutely. If there truly is demand for Moore's propoganda, then a monied interest will step up to the plate. What part of free market economics do you not understand?

You're exactly what is wrong with this country right now. I guess an idea's only important if there's a "monied interest". Nevermind the endless hours of research that Moore did to show the country, and yes even you skirt, that Bush is a massive hypocrit. But as usual you're too afraid to hear the truth, so you immediatly label Moore as a propagandist. Just like the Germans back in the 1940's who would report Jews that dissented. According to conservatives we liberals fall into only into these three catogories; if we say the President is incompetant, we're enemies of the state, if we make a movie about Bush being a hypocrit, we're propagandists, and if we critisize the government in anyway, we're being anti-American. And it's this kind of thing that scares me the most, this kind of Orwellian-speak, that no dissenter has a valid opinion, their just simply dissenters. Well you forget skirt...that America was founded on dissent, and dissent will continue to be an intrical part of American society. And you can try to stifle it all you want with your Patriot Acts and your constant disdain for other's opinions...but you will never get rid of the dissenters. So learn to live with us, or get the Hell out of America. God I've always wanted to tell one of you to love it or leave it. Kinda stings...don't it?
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby Aegis » Wed May 26, 2004 8:44 pm

Umm... No, Moore's a propagandist because he is very loose with his facts (to the point of lying, on occasion) and he has a clear political agenda he wishes to spread. Anne Coulter, Micheal Savage, Sean Hannity, Al Franken and Micheal Moore all fall into the same group, just different parts of the political spectrum.

The simple fact is, Disney doesn't want to spend money marketing Moore's movie, so tough shit to him. If he really was so into spreading his message he would take a que from some of our founding fathers (ie. Thom Paine) and find alternative means of distribution. Our country was also founded on the principals of life, liberty and property (ala John Locke), and if Disney, through Mirimax, doesn't want to invest their property (ie. capital) into Moore's prodject, they have every liberty to tell him to get a life.

He will find a domestic distributor, or he can find a way to do what so many here have suggested and cut out the middleman (read: Greedy Amerikkkan Capitalist Peeg-Dogs) and find a way to distribute the film directly. Either way, the film will likely be a big success here in the states, even while the radicals continues to bitch about how they are "SO persecuted."

EDIT: Kurt_E, this thread is why we need smilies. I would have killed for a rolling eyes smilie to respond to this thread with.
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

Postby patriot » Wed May 26, 2004 9:07 pm

Umm... No, Moore's a propagandist because he is very loose with his facts (to the point of lying, on occasion) and he has a clear political agenda he wishes to spread. Anne Coulter, Micheal Savage, Sean Hannity, Al Franken and Micheal Moore all fall into the same group, just different parts of the political spectrum.

The simple fact is, Disney doesn't want to spend money marketing Moore's movie, so tough shit to him. If he really was so into spreading his message he would take a que from some of our founding fathers (ie. Thom Paine) and find alternative means of distribution. Our country was also founded on the principals of life, liberty and property (ala John Locke), and if Disney, through Mirimax, doesn't want to invest their property (ie. capital) into Moore's prodject, they have every liberty to tell him to get a life.

He will find a domestic distributor, or he can find a way to do what so many here have suggested and cut out the middleman (read: Greedy Amerikkkan Capitalist Peeg-Dogs) and find a way to distribute the film directly. Either way, the film will likely be a big success here in the states, even while the radicals continues to bitch about how they are "SO persecuted."

OK Aegis...so Moore was lying when he said there was over 11,000 hand gun deaths in the US? He was lying when he said that the black man is demonized by society? He was lying when he suggested that America is either a bunch of gun nuts (like you and Tarkan) or just plain nuts (like Townslight and Infidel)? Was he lying when he said that Heston was an insensitive prick when he went to those towns after a child, or children, had been murdered by a fire arm? That would be the equivalent of a Budweiser Exec showing up at a drunk driving accident. Just because Moore points out that guns ARE DEFINITLY a problem in the US, you refuse to listen. Just like my next door neighbor who is also crazy about his guns. You see it as propaganda just because you love your guns, and the "crazy" Moore wants to take them away from you. I am not one of these people who wants to see guns taken and burned, because as I have said before, the government is God when the public is un-armed. But the fact remains is that there is an epidemic of hand-gun murders in the United States, but I guess since Moore said it, it's propaganda. I guess Moore will be lying when he shows the country the connections betweem Bin Laden and Bush, even though RYP has posted a chart that explains it in proper English, and that anyone with half a brain could find the connections on the interenet. But since most of America chooses not to use the whole of their brain, Moore has decided, once again, to show you the truth about Bush's hypocrasy. And you say that the simple fact is they didn't want to spend money on Moore's movie? You must be as naive as you sound my friend. You REALLY think that is why they blocked his movie? You actually think it's that clear cut? Oh, it could never be because the Disney execs are Bush supporters. It couldn't be because it's an election year and Bush is afriad of being smeared by Moore could it? Pull your head out of your ass.
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby Aegis » Wed May 26, 2004 9:30 pm

Where did I say he lies all the time? Where? He does include fact within his work, but so does Coulter, so dies Savage, and Franken and Limbaug and all the other demogougic cretins that give the public the majority of their "information" because they are too dumb to read a damn wire service or professional journal. Hell, Goebells told the truth sometimes too, but like Moore he only did it when it fit his cause.

Some Moore lies for you:
http://www.spinsanity.org/columns/20020403.html

And, no. I don't think that a lack of motivation was the only factor behind Disney's move to not carry Moore's film (although he knew it for a year, and could easliy have found another distributor) but it is still their choice to do with their money what they will. You may deride it as a cowardly move, as so many did with the results of the Spanish election, but like the Spanish voters, Disney was well within its rights to do as they did.
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

Postby patriot » Wed May 26, 2004 9:38 pm

Fair enough. Let's just say that we both have our points.
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby Buzzsaw » Wed May 26, 2004 9:41 pm

I don't understand what the big deal is anyway. It's just a movie.

It's probably not as good as "The Godfather" but better than "Dude, Where's My Car?"
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby patriot » Wed May 26, 2004 9:45 pm

Yes...a movie I would have liked to see very much.
patriot
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe