Canadian Polls

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Canadian Poll - Who would you vote for today?

Liberals
20%
Conservative
40%
NDP
27%
Bloc
No votes
Independant
No votes
Rhino Party
7%
None of the above
7%

Total votes : 15

Canadian Polls

Postby CdnSkyDiva » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:26 pm

This is what they say, what do you think?

If we voted now

Global Television

May 28, 2004

ADVERTISEMENT

The seat projections we've been airing are crunched at Wilfrid Laurier University. The latest one shows the Liberals continuing to lose support: now firmly in the territory of the first minority government in Canada in 25 years.

This projection is based on a number of polls that have already been made public, a huge sample of some 7,400 Canadians.

If we voted today, the Liberals would win 135 seats: 20 less than needed for a majority.

The conservatives are now flirting with the triple digits coming in at 98 seats.

And the NDP come in forth with 21, just enough to land them power-broker status if the Liberals do come in 20 under a majority.

Professor Barry Kay heads the Laurier team. Kay, from Wilfrid Laurier University said, "There are some areas where the Liberals are decidedly in decline, Ontario is the most prominent region, little bit in B.C., other regions they're doing better like in Atlantic Canada where they're doing better than they were a week ago."

Barry Kay's latest seat projection based on a total sample of 7,400, polls by Ipsos-Reid, Compas, Ekos, Decima and Crop.

Region LIB CON NDP BLOC
Atlantic 25 6 1 0
Quebec 21 0 0 54
Ontario 67 34 5 0
Prairies 10 12 9 0
Alberta 2 26 0 0
B.C. 10 20 6 0
Totals 135 98 21 54
CdnSkyDiva

Postby X » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:38 pm

I've heard a "claim" that Magna has been lobbying for HMO's to be allowed since 97. If its true, Im going to have to change my vote again.
X

Postby CdnSkyDiva » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:49 pm

I forgot to Add the "Green Party" - they have my vote!
CdnSkyDiva

Postby walt » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:34 am

sad to say but the rhinos are no longer an official party... X-- you're right about the HMO thing but it's not only magna pushing, it's the entire conservative party braintrust, led by muldoon and his group-- look who's heading up the montreal hospital project and look what they're pushing (public-private partnership)....

anyone else notice how that story from a couple of weeks ago about paul martin supposedly saying that he believed that wmds were in iraq but were now in the hands of terrorists just went away.... guess he didn't actually say it... good one sun newspapers... solid work.

my strategy will most likely be to vote green (they get $1.75 per vote under the new party financing rules-- might as well give them the cash) and hope like hell harper doesn't win and bush isn't re-elected... one, you can handle, both, a bit scary from this end...
walt

You forgot some more

Postby SRR » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:58 am

In my riding there's also a candidate for the Marxist-Leninist party and the Christian Heritage Party. Don't forget the Canadian Action Party and the Greens, and all of these make up the far left spectrum except for the CHP who occupy a lonely spot at the far right.

I'm a centrist if anything, possibly right-leaning but not very far right. Unfortunately, the only political party in that spectrum is the Conservative Party. The Liberal party is not a part of the spectrum, as they would sell their own mothers to get elected and thus steal every other party's platform as they become popular.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:17 am

I change my mind every day, today its the liberals, but i have also considered the other 2 main parties.

The conservatives look better now than they have for years as they've been reigning in the social conservatives and religious wackos, but I still wonder how they are going to spend billions more on defence and health care and still cut taxes. They'll be breaking promises once in power.

Also, if Stephen Harper were in power today, canada would be spending billions to ship Canadians to Iraq to get their heads chopped off.

NDP - sorry I am selfish me generation bastard. I just don't care enough about child care.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Re: Canadian Polls

Postby Renard » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:33 pm

CdnSkyDiva wrote:
Barry Kay's latest seat projection based on a total sample of 7,400, polls by Ipsos-Reid, Compas, Ekos, Decima and Crop.

Region LIB CON NDP BLOC
Atlantic 25 6 1 0
Quebec 21 0 0 54
Ontario 67 34 5 0
Prairies 10 12 9 0
Alberta 2 26 0 0
B.C. 10 20 6 0
Totals 135 98 21 54

These numbers seem off. First, i don't think the conservatives will win that many seats, the Bloc numbers seem way too high (by about ten seats) and the NDP's numbers seem too low come this election.
Renard
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:07 pm

Still thinking of going NDP although I like what that Harper dude was saying about giving the DND a bag o cash. The problem I have with Harper is his head and face look to damn big for him to be human.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby CdnSkyDiva » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:49 pm

These numbers seem off. First, i don't think the conservatives will win that many seats, the Bloc numbers seem way too high (by about ten seats) and the NDP's numbers seem too low come this election.

I think you're right Renard.

I think the BC numbers a quite off - from what I have heard arond here, I don't belive the Conservative party will receive as many seats as suggested by this poll. Also, the NDP seem to be doing much better than 6 seats. Jack Layton, for example, appears to have been doing a lot of leg work out west, more so than the other Parties (he was at the Vancouver Peace Rally in April, and introduced Noam Chomsky at a local lecture.) But then again, Sven Robinson's Grand theft incident could hurt the party quite a bit.

I also think the 67 seats for the Liberals in Ontario is quite high. I have many friends in T.O that used to volunteer for the Liberal party and they have all jumped ship to volunteer for the Conservative Party (I won't even bother going into the 'why's). But according to them, it sounds like that's what most people in Ontario are doing. I'll be honest, I haven't kept up on Ontario politics lately, but if someone could confirm/deny this it would be great.

I guess the bottom line is anything could happen at this point. For me, I have yet to be convinced which Candidate and/or Party would be the best for my area. I hope they start working their littles tails off a bit more to convince me. I would love to have all of the candidates complete a simple questionnaire on all of the issues exempt from political rhetoric.

But I have no doubt that I am asking for too much....
CdnSkyDiva

Postby walt » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:54 pm

walt

Return to Black Flag Cafe