rugged sunglasses

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

rugged sunglasses

Postby janjaweed » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:40 am

I'm looking for more durable ones, as every pair I've had has been broken within 3 months of having them. Can anyone recommend some?
The nose causes the tail.
janjaweed
BFCus Regularus

Postby jonas » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:52 pm

I am in the same boat...they just aren't a durable good by design. Even those Oakleys with the titanium frames (that cost a farking fortune and will get nicked in two seconds) have plastic lenses that scratch and break easily. So I buy the cheapos and hope for the best...some new material will surely come along and solve this prob for us...but by then I will be 80 and not care...I'll just buy those big 'ol goggle glasses!
jonas
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:57 pm

$5 dollars should buy you a decent pair of burning glasses,the sort the welders use when they are using oxy acetylene gear. You know, the green tinted ones. I have been using them for years and they can take quite a beating (I have been punched wearing them) and you can drop them all you want.
It might matter if you are a fashion victim, but otherwise as long as they keep the sharp sunlight off your eyes, who cares?

I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby nowonmai » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:48 pm

I've been a bit of a geek in this respect over the last few years. Broken several, got pissed off with others because they hurt after wearing them for 12 hours straight. By far the best were the Wiley X XL-1. They also give ballistic protection which can be quite handy. You can pick up these quite cheap around the bazaars (ebay etc) because everyone wants the goggles, Ive got several models of those too and none of them match the XL-1. Shame you didn't ask a few weeks ago because I've just given away 2 spare pairs which I don't need any more.

Anyway heres the link, happy hunting (no I'm not a salesman or related to anyone in Wiley X!

https://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/ProductDetail.aspx?ActivityCode=TACTICAL&SeriesCode=175&ProductLine=202,XL1&ItemCode=297
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:19 pm

I use “Wiley-X”, the US Military issues them to some of there troops now, They are extremely rugged I have used them all around the world from driving around Washington DC to Black hawk rides in Iraq.

The lenses pop out for easy replacement if you damage one but I have never had to replace either of mine, the worst thing I’ve ever done to them was leave them at a friends hooch, so now I use the neck strap
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Glasses

Postby Journeyman » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:47 am

Honestly get some Cabelas Azure glasses, I've had over 8 different pairs of glasses and amazingly these cheap ($20) polarized glasses from Cabelas have held up better than oakleys, black flys, arnettes, and various forms of aviator glasses.
Although I recently picked up a pair of Wiley x Romer 2's, theyre very durable and appealed to me because they are ballistic. However their fit is shitty, and chums are a must in order to keep them from falling down my nose every two seconds. They need something on the temples or something to hold them to your head, I dont have a small head and they fall down constantly. Also, theyre not polarized, and I really cannot live without polarized glasses anymore.
Journeyman

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:40 am

Wiley X’s come in different sizes most people don’t know that, the first pair I bought in large because I didn’t know and I had the same slipping problem, so you probally just don’t have the correct size.
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby NIJ » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:16 am

I never buy sunglasses that cost more than $5. I don't wear them anymore but when I did I would break, mangle, and lose them at the rate of about 1 a week. Cheapies are the way the to go.
NIJ
BFCus Regularus

Postby Piggs » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:56 pm

I had a pair of Oakley Half Jackets, lasted the whole time I was in Iraq, but my drunk ass stood on them once I was home and really drunk. I just ordered another pair.

ImageImage
Piggs
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:32 pm

I like maui jim polarized lenses - fit well, great for all the driving I do but a bit pricey so I keep an eye on them.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby aforementioned_goofball » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:28 am

I second Wiley X's. I have a pair of PT-1's that I have really beat up. They have also saved my vision once.
“Lay on, Macduff; and damned be he that first cries, ‘Hold enough!’”
aforementioned_goofball
BFCus Regularus

Postby fish-e » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:06 pm

I try to follow a personal mandate that if the locals don't wear'm, neither do I. So much communication is based on eye-to-eye contact, I prefer to let my eyes adjust to the light and go without. That said, sometimes ya just need the protection. There are no glasses out there that won't scratch, break, get lost or nicked over time. Cheap is fine as long as optics aren't an issue, though most plastic shades have decent enough lenses to get by until they get roughed up. Smith, Zeal and a few others make lower price but well made kit. Oakley does too I guess, depending on your price range. I try to look for close-outs on name-brand gear from outdoor resellers whenever I'm in the market; keeps cost down and quality up.
The best way to make'm last is use a hardcase when you're not wearing them, and only clean them with the proper cloth - cheap or pricey, they'll always last longer this way.
-just-keep-moving-
fish-e
BFCus Regularus

Postby castaway » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:23 am

try biker shdes KD's cheap wayfarer style shades $5-8 a pair lose em don't care lots of choices if they can handle ridin the road u should b ok
Don't you read the paper?
No I prefer more reliable sources like rumor and small children!
castaway

Postby Expat » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:21 pm

I had good luck with these. Good ballistic protection and very durable. A little less expensive than Wileys and WAY less expensive than Oakleys.

http://www.essgoggles.com/ICE-Series-Eyeshields_18_category.html
"For me the National Sport of England is war and cricket is for pot bellied schoolmasters and dullards."

Nowonmai, 12 Nov. 2007
Expat
BFCus Regularus

Postby waylonwally » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:32 am

only wear good glasses that REALLY filter out uv rays, otherwise do without. cheap glasses will only reduce the brightness and allow the irises to stay open/large, thus allow the uv rays to enter them.

just like camera lenses, go for the best that you can afford: zeiss, nikon, some pro canon stuff, but never sigma or tamron trash.

for your eyes,i suggest a $150 set of serengeti or revo. your vision insurance maybe worked out so that you could get these instead of reading spectacles...

cheap glasses will make you look like a chinese or russian commie cadre.
waylonwally

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!