Who said this?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

"There is no ready-made formula for democracy readily transposable from one country to another. Democracy is not a method, it is a culture. For democracy to take root solidly and durably in the Arab world, it must be an Arab democracy before all

Agree with quotes
100%
Disagree with quotes
No votes

Total votes : 13

Who said this?

Postby The.Duke » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:55 am

"There is no ready-made formula for democracy readily transposable from one country to another. Democracy is not a method, it is a culture. For democracy to take root solidly and durably in the Arab world, it must be an Arab democracy before all else."

1. Who said this?
2. Do you agree with the gist of the statement?
Last edited by The.Duke on Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
The.Duke

Postby DawnC71 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:10 am

It could be one of many people, and hell yes I agree with this....
Only a Moe-ron would not.
Cheers,
Dawn
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Postby The.Duke » Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:47 am

From the same person:

"Imposed values can never be assimilated, They will always retain the taste of humiliation."

1. Who is it?
2. Do you agree with the gist of the statement?

(I wont add any more quotes, so the poll is just for the first two.)
Last edited by The.Duke on Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The.Duke
The.Duke

Postby The.Duke » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:45 am

Dawn, Ringo,

I'll PM the name to you, so as not to ruin the sheer exstatic fun of the throngs of other flaggers racking their mental capacities in response to this challenge of challenges.

However Ringo - agree or disagree with the statements
The.Duke
The.Duke

Postby goat balls » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:34 pm

Dammit Duke...take this thread off please. I know who said it and can't remember and it's driving me nuts.
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

answer

Postby Venturi » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:44 pm

Venturi
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tumbling Snake » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:26 pm

I know who said it, and I'd like to serve him a plate of freedom fries, with extra grease. In fact, his own country looks like more and more Arab everyday, so I guess he's an expert.
A democracy is a government by the people, rule of the majority. The power is held ultimately by the people, and exercised by them thru elected representatives. If your an Arab, and you have been elected by other Arabs, then I guess you could call it an Arab democracy.
I don't agree that it is a culture, not purely anyway. I don't take a vote on decisions made in my home, I'm the dictator and my kids know it. We don't vote on who gets that parking space or the last copy of Ghost Recon at Blockbuster. In fact most of us don't vote even when were supposed to, so their you go. Democracy is tolerated, it's the one system where most people can get along and live a decent life without killing each other, and when the Arabs realize that they have to live together somewhat peaceably or continue living and dying by the whims of maniacs then they'll tolerate an imperfect democracy. Democracy is not a culture, it's an arrangement.
JC may have meant to say, "an Arab social democracy" or communism, which he is much more familiar with.
Tumbling Snake

Postby Renard » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:54 pm

How many times do you hear "let's take a vote" or "I elect to do this" in even the smallest of social groups, most notably among friends? I would say so often that it is practically second nature to do so and respect the result even if it isn't the one you voted for.

But "democracy" doesn't just stop at free and fair elections, pure and simple. It also incorporates a set of principles such as constitutionalism, the rule of law, minority rights and a division of power. It is a complex system that most people don't bother to examine or enquire about until, of course, their own rights are threatened.

Democracy is very much a culture; and like any culture, one that we practically take for granted.
Renard
BFCus Regularus

Who said it?

Postby cbychoice » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:21 pm

It was Mr.Chirac,I think.
cbychoice
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bobby Sands » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:52 am

Democracy, which is a tyranny of the majority, isn't as important as individual freedoms (rights that cannot be abridged by the government). Until the West realizes that the secret sauce isn't our "democracry" but rather our constitutions/bills of rights that allow citizens to tell governments to fuck off, we are not going to be successful in exporting our forms of government to the developing world.

Pure democracy in Iraq would be disaster for the Sunnis and the Kurds, and that's why the Shi'ites keep demanding it. Our leaders can't wrap their minds around the concept of decentralization, and therefore, we will fail in Iraq. That above quote from Chirac is 30 IQ points above what George W Bush can comprehend, but it still is short in diagnosing why we will fail in Iraq.
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Wasn't it.....

Postby MJK » Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:00 am

...Colin Powell?
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe