Who has more clarity of purpose?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Bush
29%
Bin Laden
71%

Total votes : 14

Postby Sri Lanky » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:13 pm

I want you to think neutrally about this. Think about it as if you were from another planet watching the monkeys here on earth.
Sri Lanky

Interesting Question

Postby Vincent » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:13 pm

I thought about this, trying to be dispassionate and expecting to fall on the side of Bin Laden, but when you think about it, his purpose couldn't have been too clear because it completely backfired.

Instead of 5,000 troops in Saudi Arabia he wanted out, he has nearly 200,000 in the region, has been kicked out of a country that he was completely re-making in his image and is now living in a cave.

Bush, from all accounts wanted the opportunity to invade Iraq, set up permanant shop in the middle east, hand out huge contracts to friendly corporations and pass a massive tax increase.

I don't know, I think I'm going to have to vote for Bush. This time.
Vincent
BFCus Regularus

What makes you say that?

Postby Vincent » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:01 pm

Kasca:

Where have you seen anything that would indicate that Bin Laden wanted the US engaged in a land war in the Middle East?
Vincent
BFCus Regularus

Postby RatherNotSay » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:50 pm

Interesting poll and interesting responses.

To Vincent: Your remarks made me stop and think about this a bit, but I'm not so sure that clarity of purpose is the same thing as successful strategy. If we were talking about the outcome of the goal, you may in fact be right. But I have to say that in terms of his understanding/communicating his purposes, independant of the strategies used to achieve those objectives... Bin Laden is crystally clear.

I'm not sure wtf Bush wants. I'm not even sure *he*knows.
RatherNotSay

Postby Michael » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:53 pm

Bin Laden gets the nod on clarity of purpose, but I think it is because his purpose seems to be very narrow. Bin Laden: destroy western civilization. Bush: maintain a global empire. It might be apples and oranges.
Michael
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:28 am

gotta go with Binny for clarity of purpose. he got what he wanted in spades i might add. Bush strikes me as a "pull my strings and i move" type...not that 99% of other politicians are any better. Republicrats every one.
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Return to Black Flag Cafe