Where Next?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Where should we unilaterally and forcibly install a functional democracy next?

North Korea
7%
Syria
22%
Columbia
7%
Zimbabwe
5%
Florida
29%
Viet Nam
No votes
Communist China
12%
Equatorial Guinea
No votes
The elevator repair service center
17%

Total votes : 41

Where Next?

Postby The.Duke » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:37 pm

The administration has revised it’s position on Iraq and WMD’s. They were apparently not the key reason to invade Iraq but rather secondary to removing a brutal dictator and installing a functional democracy with free elections.

If this is the new American foreign policy position, then it begs an important policy question: which undemocratic region should we invade next?
The.Duke
The.Duke

Postby Buzzsaw » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:43 pm

I imagine North Korea is on the short list. Especially if they test a nuke like they are threatening. It will be easy to recruit folks to help out if that happens...
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby RYP » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:43 pm

I think the next peaceful, secular non threatening country (but once toppled could turn into an out of control islamic fundamentalis hornets nest) that is rumored to have WMD's (unlike those who actually have them) and is obviously poses an immediate danger to America (rather than those who actually attack us every day) is...

Syria...
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby patriot » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:21 pm

You left out the White House.
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dim » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:21 pm

Where should we unilaterally and forcibly install a functional democracy next?

How 'bout Iraq and Afghanistan? But before that you might want to tell me where in the last fifty years the US has PREVIOUSLY installed 'a functional democracy.'
Last edited by Dim on Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dim
BFCus Regularus

Postby patriot » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:23 pm

'a functional democracy.'

We had one going in the states for a little while.
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby Qwazy Wabbit » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:37 am

How many functioning democracies has the US toppled in the last fifty years? I think the US has quite some distance to go just to break even.
Qwazy Wabbit
BFCus Regularus

functioning????????????????

Postby abdakbar » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:28 am

What exactly is a functioning democracy? Is it a state that functions, i.e. accomplishes stuff, and has a democratically elected representative government or is it that the votes of the decide the actions off the country....and that happens to work..... As it stands, it seems that there is not a single democracy on the planet. There are lots of democratic republics...but thats a little different, and I don't think any of them function. Perhaps we should pose this question to the diebolt electronic voting machine company...they might have an answer.
abdakbar

Postby Qwazy Wabbit » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:25 am

This question also reminds me of a comedy sketch set in a First World War trench where the British officer explains to the soldier that the generals had under-estimated the Germans because for the last hundred years the British had only fought people armed with dried grass and fruit.

Afghanistan and Iraq are two of the weakest countries outside Africa and it's still a mess. Tackling Zimbabwe or Syria might be one thing but China? I seem to remember that the last time the US tried to dictate anything to China they sent a US spy plane back in tiny pieces. Seems a long time ago now when President Bush only had one diplomatic and foreign policy catastrophy to his name.
Qwazy Wabbit
BFCus Regularus

Postby CdnSkyDiva » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:07 pm

I don't understand why Canada isn't an option.

I mean, we have a WMD by the name of Celine Dion. In fact, this Canadian terrorist is infiltrating the US as we speak by brainwashing Americans into thinking she's a good singer....
CdnSkyDiva

Postby The.Duke » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:02 am

CH,

Hmmmm...boxing or kung fu
Last edited by The.Duke on Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The.Duke
The.Duke

I chose

Postby Kurt » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:13 am

The Grain Elevator.

Those Co-Ops give special treatment in the form of Coffee mugs to members based on seriority and not achievment.

Therefore we should JDAM Scarville Iowa.

Since my family fled Scarville in search of a movie theatre that did not project on the side of the Big White Barn, I will function as a Government in Exile until Scarville and perhaps neigboring Keister Minnesota are liberated.

I will be in my base in Lake Mills until then.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Dug this thread out of the basement

Postby Vincent » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:49 pm

Just wanted to go on record here at the BFC with my prediction.

I think hte next place that American troops are going to be engaged in a substantial capacity is The Sudan.

You heard it here first, folks.
Vincent
BFCus Regularus

Postby JC » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:03 pm

Columbia gets my vote. District of Columbia
JC

Postby crotalus01 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:30 pm

Sudan has nothing to offer us. no oil, no infrastucture to destroy and award KBR and Halliburton contracts to rebuild. and its full of black people who think they are arabs. sounds like Son of Somalia. MAYBE some UN peacekeepers. my vote goes to Syria as the next country we seriously fuck with. after all, they DID just impose sanctions against us. hell, that could shut down half the convienence stores in the country....and then what would we do?
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe