The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

How does the BFC define you

Poll ended at Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:44 am

I am what the BFC is all about
23%
I am curious what it takes to be a BFC'er
No votes
I visit the BFC, but have a life
59%
I visit the BFC because I have no life
9%
The BFC is my life
5%
The BFC is the reason my life sucks and want revenge
5%

Total votes : 22

Postby Romeo247 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:49 am

hit with what? dont accuse bfc'ers of chickenshit email sissy tactics come on
Romeo247
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:13 am

hey 2chuck, you might want to invest in a firewall program...or get something like BlackICE. i had it before i switched to Mac and it worked great. auto alerts you when someone is trying to crack your system, traces the IP etc. of course it doesnt help much against spoofers...
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Romeo247 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:29 am

what ! my mom!!! are u still holding on to memorys which dont exist for u? Let me say it like this if you had a firewall, and a several other programs to protect your over sensitve nancy boy ass you might have reseached your dilemma before shitting and insulting all the people of bfc who make this place an great time.. reply to in the boxing ring look for it this is part one..
Romeo247
BFCus Regularus

Postby fgmsociety » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:39 am

So what happens when they crack your email...they read your letters? Put a virus in your computer? This system was downt the other day and I thought it was deliberate against me too, but I run more with conspiracy government theories rather than people that chat here, but who's to say the system isn't infiltrated.......
fgmsociety
BFCus Regularus

Postby DawnC71 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:47 am

My system has been acting up all week but I think that was because I was not anywhere near my computer for a week...now I go to turn it on and it sort of makes this moaning groaning sound..its a lazy ass..but nothing a little WD40 cannot fix!
Cheers,
Dawn
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:51 am

2chuck, dont you have your e-mail address in your profile? if so, then its privy to everyone on the internet, not just a few people. how do you know the attacks originated from the bfc? how is the pattern of intrusion similar, and how has it changed over time?

and if you want a firewall, dont get black ice. it's shit. get an external one.
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:09 am

you traced it to a specific isp or isp account? and how do you know that the account hasnt been hijacked or is a fake? it'd probably be bad to pay a house call to somebody only to find his computer is being fucked with too.
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby fgmsociety » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:29 am

That is weird though, three of us having computer problems....oh well, I guess we'll never know..
fgmsociety
BFCus Regularus

Not again...

Postby muskrat » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:43 am

Not again 2C, you got some bad luck. Thought you knew who it was last time? Most black hats (hackers) use tools to infinatley and variably disgiuse their ISP's to make traces impossible if they are competent. Dont know if lavasoft(ware) would show a link to the third party in your sys.

Good luck MR
the Rat is less about criminality per se but the importance and sheer fun of using one's intellect, skill and willpower to carve a survival niche into whatever inhospitable environment one finds oneself. Damn the imposed morality of the overlords. F
muskrat
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:14 pm

2Charlie. All the ISP's of the users are kept here. We don't do anything with them but if you send me the specifics I and the evidence of them tampering with your email. I will block them from the Flag.

Hotmail is a little tough to hack and frequently changing passwords using letters and numbers is a good idea.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby shivers » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:23 pm

Try hushmail. It's a bit clunky, but far more secure than hotmail, yahoo, etc. If you have a mac, try ziplip.com (really clunky) or safe-mail.net. The thing with safe-mail is, you have to ask them nicely, with a promise to never spam, to hide your IP by replacing it with one of theirs.
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Romeo, Romeo...what the F*%K for art thou talking about

Postby jonas » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:01 pm

Romeo,

2Charlie is one of the old school good guys here so start shit with him and you risk the ire of many posters. Anonymous threats are just sad and stupid so that's just advice man.......take it or leave it.

J
jonas

email

Postby cbychoice » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:45 pm

You properly picked up a virus or malicious parasite out of someones email, if someones is infected,happened to me some month back.Make sure you scan your compurter and regulary update your virus definition so you can identify and remove the latest virus.(Can happen without someones elses knowledge and intend to harm you.)
Kazza gave me a lot of trouble.I'm quite picky of whom I let on my computer these days.The grandkids are persona non grata,and are free now to pollute their parents computer,lot less trouble for me.
cbychoice
BFCus Regularus

Postby mb » Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:28 pm

first, you haven't said what you mean by your account being hacked. someone's reading your mail? writing as you (which doesn't take any hacking, the email system is based on trust)? doing something else?

if you know how your account was hacked, don't leave yourself open to the same attack. i do find it weird that it's happened multiple times, i remember you saying this before, but the old board's host used to try and install spyware one everyone's machine.

if only 5 people know your other account, there are only 3 likely possiblities: 1: one of the 5 is behind it. 2: whoever is doing this has some spyware installed on your machine, and thus can see whatever you're doing, or 3: someone at your ISP is involved.
mb
BFCus Regularus

Postby shivers » Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:34 pm

You don't necessarily have to hack into somebody's computer to hack into their e-mail account. I don't know how to hack hotmail, but there are plenty of folks who do. I have step-by-step instructions for breaking into a yahoo account.... not that I would ever do a nasty thing like that. I would not use either for sensitive e-mails.
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe