Where Next?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Where should we unilaterally and forcibly install a functional democracy next?

North Korea
7%
Syria
22%
Columbia
7%
Zimbabwe
5%
Florida
29%
Viet Nam
No votes
Communist China
12%
Equatorial Guinea
No votes
The elevator repair service center
17%

Total votes : 41

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:22 pm

The Texas Carnie Roadshow Rulebook wrote:Rule #146
I will always vote for the Elevator Repairmen
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby goat balls » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:38 am

Eight of you voted to invade Florida. Bring it on. We'll sick our pet gators on ya. Canada is the obvious and logical choice for an invasion. They have very good looking women and we could expel the French.
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby goat balls » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:17 pm

Yes my cold weather friend, you make a valid point. Money or women. Money or women. My head might explode if I keep this up.
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby BobEPeru » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:18 pm

I voted Florida, as it may be the only option for which we have enough military personel to accomplish the mission.
BobEPeru

Postby Land Rover » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:18 pm

Land Rover
BFCus Regularus

I'm telling you....

Postby Vincent » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:30 am

This is going to be the Right's - "We would never let Rwanda happen..."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/africa/07 ... index.html
Vincent
BFCus Regularus

Postby DawnC71 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:15 am

Yeah I think the logical choices are probably Syria and Iran, but then again it all probably depends on who gets elected President in November.
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Postby Slam » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:16 am

I'd like to see us intervening in Zimbabwe - a country that actually needs our help - but it's doubtful that'll ever happen.

No oil no spoil.
Slam
BFCus Regularus

Postby DawnC71 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:32 am

Robert Mugabe is a closeted homosexual who deserves to have his comfy little dictatorship jerked right out from underneathe his crazy ass!
Cheers,
Dawn
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

NYT Columnist Nicholas Kristoff

Postby Vincent » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:13 pm

This is an excerpt from today's NYT columnist Nicholas Kristoff.

"Ten years later, it's a useful exercise to wonder how many of us would have the courage Mr. Wilkens showed. Yet we don't have to wonder idly how we would respond to such an African genocide - one is unfolding, right now, in the Darfur region of Sudan, and once again we're doing next to nothing. The World Health Organization estimates that 10,000 people are dying there each month, and again the response around the world has been abject moral failure.

Colin Powell's visit to Sudan was an excellent first step, but President Bush has remained passive. As for John Kerry, he averted his eyes from Darfur for months, but last week he finally demanded action against what he termed genocide.

The U.S. needs to send massive aid shipments and take much tougher steps, like issuing an ultimatum that will lead to a no-flight zone over most of Darfur until the Sudanese government disarms the genocidal Janjaweed militia. That would get Khartoum's attention.

To respond to this genocide, we don't need to stand up to drunken killers with machetes and AK-47's, as Mr. Wilkens did. Yet we, as individuals or as a nation, still can't muster the will to take minimal steps to save lives, like providing adequate food, water and medicine, and browbeating Sudan into halting the killing.

If readers want to help, I've listed some actions they can take on www.nytimes.com/kristofresponds, Posting 520 (but please don't send money to me). Moral choices lie not only with those who, like Carl Wilkens, risk death to help others, but also with the millions of ordinary people who are spared the risks but still face a basic decision: Do we try to save lives, or do we simply turn away? "
Vincent
BFCus Regularus

Postby Aegis » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:27 pm

I stand by my earlier prediction that the next "dirty little war" will be against Venezuela, but they didn't make the list, so I guess it doesn't count.

I'd like to see us off "mad Bob" Mugabe, but Zimbabwe doesn't have a hell of a lot of things we would really want bad enough to make it worthwhile.
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe