Mental or Physical Pain?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Which is worse, mental pain for life or physical pain for life?

Mental pain for life?
62%
Physical pain for life?
38%

Total votes : 21

Mental or Physical Pain?

Postby Jumper » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:58 am

I figured this might make an interesting post. Lets hear some ideas on the subject in regards to what you think is worse, mental or physical pain? I would have to say mental but I have never been a burn victim or had chronic nerve damage before. Or another way to put it is would you rather be in pain physically for life or in pain mentally for life(traumatic experience like a divorce, death, a crime etc.)?
Feral Jundi

http://www.feraljundi.com

A blog about the security contracting industry.
Jumper
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:35 pm

damn thats a tough one Jumper...really for me it would depend on the type of pain involved. for example, i would rather be traumatized than live with chronic back pain a la sciatica which pretty much makes you useless physically, but i would rather have a moderate case of arthritis that be traumatized. and i would definitely pick the trauma of divorce over the physical pain of 70% burned.
i guess it also largely depends on the person - i deal better with extreme mental trauma than i do extreme physical pain.
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

xxxxx

Postby realrescue3 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:45 pm

Id rather have abottle in front of me than
a frontal lobotomy....yuk yuk
realrescue3
Breedus Ecuadorus

Postby Stag » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:59 pm

I would say physical pain is worse than mental pain.

I have not personally been through much physical pain - a car accident here or there is probably the worst physical pain.

However, a good friend of mine was severly burned in a fire - 2nd and 3rd degree burns - and the pain that he went through in terms of not only the burns themselves, but the healing and recovery process seemed to be extreme. Honestly, I don't know how he was able to endure it. But he did.

As far as mental pain, I don't know what really would qualify. To me it seems that sort of pain, eventually eases as the mind finds ways to deal with it. Where as physical pain, well that is always there.
Stag

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:09 pm

A person can get used to physical pain.
Mental pain is a bitch, however, even if you don't really know it's there.
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby patriot » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:50 pm

This should make is easier for everyone...we'll use extremes at both ends.

Would you rather have 70% of your body burned by 2nd and 3rd degree burns, or would you rather have your family die? For me the answer is the burns...
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:32 pm

patriot wrote:This should make is easier for everyone...we'll use extremes at both ends.

Would you rather have 70% of your body burned by 2nd and 3rd degree burns, or would you rather have your family die? For me the answer is the burns...

Well, since you put it that way...
I am related to Britneyfan, you know.
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:01 am

Texas Carnie Roadshow wrote:
patriot wrote:This should make is easier for everyone...we'll use extremes at both ends.

Well, since you put it that way...
I am related to Britneyfan, you know.

That really depends whether or not I'm in the will
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby shivers » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:59 am

I'm a wimp when it comes to physical pain, but I've lived with mental pain most of my life. I'll take the pain I know.
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby DawnC71 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:22 am

mental pain is the prover of human strength...it is a pure bitch...not only you gotta feel like shit yourself about it but everyone around you makes you feel like shit for it too....so your screwed either way there....
Go ahead and give me sciatica everyday.
Cheers,
Dawn
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:44 am

i can overcome mental pain (or at least try to), but if something is physically wrong, i cant just will it to be better. physical suffering is beyond my control, and that lack of control would drive me insane, leading to added mental anguish as well.

so i'd rather take the mental fucked-uppedness.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

drugs?

Postby Jumper » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:48 am

Another question that I think is interesting is what kind of pain is best suppresed by medication, mental or physical. Prozac or Oxycontin? I would have to say the physical meds seem to do a pretty good job at taking the edge off pain but I have never tried any of the mental stuff. Does Prozac work for those of you that have taken it or is alcohal still the drug of choice for mental pain? Interesting posts so far.....Then I guess there is also alternative methods of alleving all pains. I think for most it is a combination of what works for them, but you definitely see trends of certain things working better that others.
Feral Jundi

http://www.feraljundi.com

A blog about the security contracting industry.
Jumper
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:54 am

never been medicated for either pain, but i know pleny who have for either or both.

however, meds for pain only mask the symptoms, which can lead to more serious problems. physically, if you dont realize whatever is fucked up is still fucked up, you are bound to fuck it up even more, but mentally, despite that meds dont fix the root of the problem, you probably wont hurt your mind too much by trying to use it too much too soon.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Anthrogrl » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:14 pm

Well Jumper after our talks, you know my answer would be mental pain, as so many other things in life are affected by it. But it is a close toss up as I have to deal with my condition and you with your accident. But I think that pain in some ways can be put to the wayside whereas mental pain seems to creep up and stick to you. Hope all is well. Be safe!
Anthrogrl

Postby shivers » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:51 pm

Alcohol is still the most popular, but not the most effective choice. It actually makes depression worse. If not for anti-depressent meds, I'm not sure I'd still be here.
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe