Video Game Violence...

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Do you believe Videogames cause kids to lash out?

Yes
11%
No
83%
Videogames? You mean like, Pac-Man kills?
6%

Total votes : 18

Postby Slam » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:43 am

Flight Unlimited 2 made me take a flying lesson. Shit! Maybe these games do influence us.
Slam
BFCus Regularus

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:20 am

crotalus01 wrote:dont know that i would have killed the kid myself but it sucks that i now no longer have the option in what is supposed to be totally open ended game...

I don't know, since it was Beta or still in playtesting, it was probably done by as a test to see if it could actually be done. I just always thought it was funny how you can see the sword come out of the kids head.
That's detail.
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby Toasty McGrath » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:59 am

I remember reading an article about Black and White 2 (a game I WILL own, no matter what) having a tough decision to make regarding the use of child soldiers.

For those of you who don't know, the black and white series pits you a an almighty god controlling a world where you can choose to be good or evil to complete the game. and this next installment will feature a new twist: wars.

The creators of the game value the freedom to do just about anything the game engine permits, but some people think this crosses a line.

Personally, although I wouldn't probably use them (I'm a good god... but don't piss me off) I think that the freedom to do so is more important than any whining mother. Besides, how can you truly call yourself an evil god if you don't send the younglings into battle?

And of course, the most important part:

IT'S JUST A FUCKING GAME!
Last edited by Toasty McGrath on Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toasty McGrath
BFCus Regularus

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:03 am

I always enjoyed sending my avatar to eat my faithful, or throw my loyal followers off a cliff into the sea.
That's godly power.
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby kilroy » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:23 am

fable will be one of the coolest games ever.

everything you do in the game effects your character.

your body will get scars from being wounded in fights,
you can get a tan from staying outside a lot,
doing lots of physical stuff will get you an arnold-like physiqe,
spend all day reading up on spells and you become physically weak but mentally powerful.

and so on. supposedly it is the most open-ended game made. ever.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby britneyfan97 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:09 pm

Professor Mark Griffiths of Nottingham Trent University, a psychology expert, said more research was needed into how violent video games can influence the behaviour of adolescents.

He said: "Research has shown those aged eight years or below do in the short-term re-enact or copy what they see on the screen.

hmm, i remember multiple incidents of an impressionable child (read: piggs!) in my luxuirous halliburton supplied tent stalking members of our squad - to 'simulate' the graphic 'kills' seen in Manhunt.

moral of the story: piggs and claw hammers, piggs and nailguns, piggs and tire irons just dont mix!
Proud of being first in the schools history to set a Government vehicle ablaze at Army Military Police Special Tactics Training Center.
britneyfan97
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:54 pm

8 and below? uhhhh, correct me if im wrong but you have to be at least 18 to buy Manuhunt right? and i really dont think an 8 year old should be playing that particular game...
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby DawnC71 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:43 pm

Hey where can I get that Game Black and White.....I wanna game like that where I can simulate a World Power, A nation, a Govt...or just be a religious icon.. etc...
Cheers,
Dawn
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:35 pm

No nations or anything in Black and White, it's just Gods trying to take power over their worlds (read: real holy wars). It's been out for a few years now, maybe since 2000 or so, and could probably be found in bargain bins at computer stores at this point. Best Buy, and so forth. Good game none the less.
The only interactions you have with your people involve either your avatar which would be some sort of huge animal of your choice, or with your hand, which can either be the soft, shiny hand of god or some sort of dark, demonic, veiny claw, depending on your actions.
God of war, or god of peace, it all depends on how you treat your people.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby crotalus01 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:49 am

yep. you can be a giant cow, or a lizard, or other animals. B&W was a kicking game, cant wait for the sequel....
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby DawnC71 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:57 am

Well that is interesting..I like the idea of being in the role of God/dess.
Cheers,
Dawn
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe