Who are you voting for?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Who will lead them?

Kerry
27%
Bush
27%
Nader
3%
Badnarik
13%
Cobb
No votes
Peroutka
No votes
Not voting (Either because I'm apethetic or foreign)
20%
Undecided
10%

Total votes : 30

Mr. Lanky

Postby Vincent » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:33 pm

What you talk about may be true, but it is certainly not exclusive to Americans.

Just a few examples, what is the common good for the people living in the EU if the larger countries are able to flout the rules and set up systems that allow them a greater voice, much as France and Germany have been doing?

How is it in the common good of Iraqis for the insurgents to blow up police stations and bus stops?

The problem with your argument is that you can't easily define "the common good." And be careful in your definition, as you will find that it can be applied to make the case that the US in fact often works for the common good.
Vincent
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:45 pm

Oh...and one more thing Dawn. You are a waste of good weather....ahahahahhahah
Sri Lanky

Postby Buzzsaw » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:18 pm

You left "Whitey" off the list of choices.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:50 pm

Sri Lanky wrote:Holy fuck,nobody has a more warped sense of reality than an American. All you fuckers do is dream about freedom and wealth. There are a huge series of interlocking myths to cover up American barbarity. The reality of your nation is genocide,theft,and corruption. You use the Earth as your own personal possession. Libertarianism,BAH!

When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby patriot » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:27 pm

Individual rights do NOT supercede the well-being of the community Dawn

There is no such thing as a community without the individuals Sri. But you're stupid so I'll let it slide. How's that whole seperatist movement going by the way? Do you go after the Canadian government with as much zeal as you do Americans? Probably not, because you care more about what happens in America than your own country. And how do you turn a post called "Who are you going to vote for?" into another one of your signature temper tantrums? Is there anything you won't whine about? Another thing, RYP is an American, do you hate him? Or do you make exceptions for famous writers?
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:59 pm

Sri just reminded me why individual rights shouldn't be sacrificed on the altar of the collective, so it looks like Badnarik just got another vote.
Michael
BFCus Regularus

Postby Aegis » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:16 am

Sri Lanky pulled the needle from his arm and wrote:Dawn--Living as a human being requires compromise. Americans do not compromise. You impose yourself on the world. The American attitude is "I'm here,don't fuck with me while I fuck you,and it's your problem."

Individual rights do NOT supercede the well-being of the community Dawn. This is why America is so fucked up. You have what amounts to constitutional selfishness and you have opportunistic individuals who are always claiming the higher moral ground based on bullshit. You yanks pursue your own selfish desires with no regard for the common good.

When we have to declare martial law because french seperatists are murdering people in the states, then and only then will you be allowed to call americans "Fucked up" as a blanket statement. Until then, piss off. The US is economically, culturally and militarily the most powerful nation on the planet, and IMHO our emphasis on individual rights and initiative has a great deal to do with it.

I agree that Kerry is a douche, but frankly Dubya is far worse. My sincere hope is that Kerry wins by a slim enough margin that he doesn't get any idea that he has a mandate from the people. Hopefully he will lead with discretion, and with a Republican congress, which I intend to help keep Republican, a nice case of gridlock should keep either party from ramrodding home too much ridiculous legislation.

If GWB wins, he will, and I fear rightly so, regard it as a mandate to carry on leadership in the second four years much the same as the first, only more so. With a Republican congress and a sympathetic Supreme Court there will be very few limits on the ability of the Bush wing of the Republican party's ability to force through their agenda.
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

Postby patriot » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:45 am

Well said Aegis. Glad to see you're back and posting again.
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:45 am

May I humbly throw two more names in for consideration in the US elections:

1. Dar Hetherington - Ex Alderman of some town in Alberta. Extremely creative and innovative, will have you believing that Frank Sinatra performed fellatio on Che. Problem is you Americans will kidnap her every day. Headed for the nearest insane asylum.

2. Mel Lastman - former mayor of T.O., still believes Africans throw tourists in the cooking pot. Nooooooobody is better!
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lochaber » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:56 am

RYP is a Canuck, just like Sri.
Get entertained at bfst.blogspot.com
Lochaber
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:31 pm

Lochaber wrote:RYP is a Canuck, just like Sri.

Actually, I understand that Mr. Pelton Young LIVES in America and he is FROM Canada.
thus, he is either here on a green card, or a naturalized citizen, or an unauthorized alien and ya'll have just busted him, HELLO!!!!, if that's the case then don't you feel like assholes for fucking up his life and getting him deported him back to Canada where he'll have to occupy the same space, vast as it is, with Sri Lanky the sniveling and bitter pathetically jealous psuedo radical?
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:33 pm

seeker,

1. RYP must be an American citizen by now

2. Living in Canada is not THAT bad.....

3. No evidence that Sri Wanker is a Cnauck other than what he has claimed, could just as soon be a yank troll.

4. How bout a trade....RYP for the next black panther refugee that comes along.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:43 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:seeker,

1. RYP must be an American citizen by now

2. Living in Canada is not THAT bad.....

3. No evidence that Sri Wanker is a Cnauck other than what he has claimed, could just as soon be a yank troll.

4. How bout a trade....RYP for the next black panther refugee that comes along.

RKE, oh thou doth misunderstand man after my own heart.

1. We can settle that RYP is a North American and leave it at that.

2. Why, I nevah evah suggested that living in Canada was a bad thing (but for the cold) and it is my DREAM to visit Vancouver.

3. The domicile of Mr. Wanker is irrelevant anyway truly we know that.

4. How about keeping RYP here and we'll resettle the Dept. of Homeland Hysteria in the upper reaches of N. Ontario?
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:56 am

a write-in for myself. anyone else who votes for me can be my running mate.

vote kilroy for change in 2004!
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Seeks

Postby SRR » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:04 am

2. Why, I nevah evah suggested that living in Canada was a bad thing (but for the cold) and it is my DREAM to visit Vancouver.

It's cold here? I just got back from the interior and it was pushing 40C. That's like, uh, 110 Faherenheit or whatever the hell that is.

And I keep on having that dream too..... every time I have it I wake up screaming, and then find out that it's real. :/
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe