Best guard dog

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Postby Medevac » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:20 am

My girlfriends Dad has a pack of boerboel dogs on guard in South Africa - they are like broad chested Rhodesian ridgebacks, and loyal/ protective as hell.
Even though they know me now and don't go for my jugular, they force themselves between me and any of the family if we walk through their territory.

Plus they are all round cool dogs.
Duct tape is just like the Force - it has a light side and a dark side, and holds the Universe together.
Medevac
Peanuticus Gallerius

Postby Professor Devlin » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:02 pm

My extra large Australia cattle dog keeps guard around here, when she is not drinking my booze.

The best guard dog I have ever seen is Piper Cub, she is a three pound Chihuahua, that lives at my parents home. A Navy Seal who was rasied in the way of the Ninja, could not sneak up on that home without her hearing them coming. I swear she can hear your heart beat.
“I don’t care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it.”-William S. Burroughs
Professor Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Re: Best guard dog

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:00 pm

Sri Lanky wrote:Best guard dog

A trained one

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby michelle in alaska » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:10 am

what a great thread.

we have a yellow lab that is part rott. I tolerate her because of the woods we live behind. I need the extra ears. My kids love her....
My 14 yo came in the door the other day after school, pretty upset. I asked her what was wrong.
"Leave me alone. I have to go and talk to my psychologist". ........ :))
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby Wayne » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:46 pm

My Westie's a good watch dog for a little guy (~20 lbs). People walking, cycling or driving down the street (outside the property) get his attention: growl, fur up, eyes locked in laser mode.

A vehicle coming INTO the driveway gets full DefCon response: hysterical barking, yapping and a determined run at or around anything that gets between him and a view of whatever it is he hears. The regular letter carrier and UPS guy(s) have gotten used to him...new ones have no idea what's coming out the door: they hear the yapping and freeze in their tracks.

Funny thing is: he wouldn't bite a soul. He is so friendly he's actually been nipped by other dogs when he ran to meet them.
Anyone but BO!
Wayne
BFCus Regularus

Postby soulohio » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:43 pm

the US post office trains their walking letter carriers on reading dogs and their differing responses and how to defend against them.
where are you going? why don't you walk the wheel with us? what is the matter my american friend? what has upset you?
soulohio
BFCus Regularus

Postby Duende » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:41 pm

[img]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Gab\My%20Documents\My%20Pictures\digi%20camera\winter%202008\small%20annie%20snow.JPG[/img]

Just an excuse to show my dog really...hope it works.

Not much meat on her bones but she'll chase down and corner anything quicker than you can imagine.
Duende
BFCus Regularus

Postby Stiv » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:30 pm

soulohio wrote:the US post office trains their walking letter carriers on reading dogs and their differing responses and how to defend against them.

Trashmen get a crash course in that too.

It helped me hone my dog skills.

~Stiv
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby IT_whipping_boy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:46 pm

With the exception of Malamutes and Mastiffs, most ‘working breeds’ will make fine guard dogs. Everyone mentions Rottys or Pit bulls and while very aggressive, they are stupid as hell.

If I were to pick the best, my vote would be for the Akita. I had one named Zak and he was awesome. Extremely intelligent and could discern between actual threats. I’ll give two examples involving the mail man.

Zak never barked at mail men, just watched them with caution. One day the mail man was delivering a package that was too big for the letter box next to my front door so he decided to put it on the side door steps. Zak went nuts and I honestly though he would bust through the fence.

Another time I left a bottle of wine next to the letter box as a Christmas gift for the mail carrier. Zak saw him pick it up and went nuts.

Zak passed away four years ago and I’ll admit, I balled my eyes out. Now I have two German Shepards.
“Thinking that merely a positive attitude will bring you success is like parachuting with a handkerchief.”
IT_whipping_boy
BFCus Regularus

Postby docjoyce » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:15 pm

Growing up my ma had Akitas.

One of them Kazan was two weeks shy of fifteen when he passed like a warrior.

My sister was house sitting in Norco CA. Kazan was usually an outside dog, but that night he was inside resting on the kitchen floor.

A couple of neighbors decided to make a go at the house. Kazan mauled them bad enough for them to attempt to sue. They did stab him though with a screwdriver. He died two weeks later from what they think was a stroke.

One of the dudes walks the planet today with brachial plexus damage bad enough that he is on 100% disability.

I love Akita's
I don't know you

I didn't see the life you have had to live

But I hope someday our children come together

And fill the void that we never did
docjoyce
BFCus Regularus

Postby Stiv » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:46 pm

IT guy,
it's a known fact that most terriers (ie pit bulls=Staffordshire/American Staffordshire) are working dogs and among the most intelligent of breeds. I share one with my ex and kids and she is amazingly loving and intelligent and very protective.

I've owned an awful lot of dogs over the years and with terriers you get the sense that if they COULD talk they would, and they works amazingly well together and will automatically assume alpha dog with breeds much larger than themselves.

Herding dogs are also way more intelligent (=problem solving) than much larger breeds though breeds like the Kuvasz and Great Pyrennes, Komadors are also great herd dogs but they work herds in a much different manner than English shephards. The former tend to guard them rather then move them.

~Stiv
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby camel » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:43 pm

Duende wrote:[img]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Gab\My%20Documents\My%20Pictures\digi%20camera\winter%202008\small%20annie%20snow.JPG[/img]

Just an excuse to show my dog really...hope it works.

Not much meat on her bones but she'll chase down and corner anything quicker than you can imagine.

You've gotta host it someplace like imageshack or photobucket....it won't work direct from your hard drive.
camel
BFCus Regularus

Postby IT_whipping_boy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:02 am

Stiv, as far as pit bulls go i've heard that from a few others (one of them is my vet) but I honestly have never seen it.
“Thinking that merely a positive attitude will bring you success is like parachuting with a handkerchief.”
IT_whipping_boy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Duende » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:51 am

thanks camel, awesome avatar btw

as I was saying, this is the fastest thing on 4 legs you've ever seen, which is good for hunting but maybe not so good for home protection - maybe she could run circles round a thief real fast and make him dizzy. Then I could go in and club the sob cause I haven't got a gun in the UK...man I miss my guns
Duende
BFCus Regularus

Postby shivers » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:00 am

A head and coat of a terrier, and body like a greyhound. Did I get the mix right? She's a cutie.
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!