Bush Pilot Jobs

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Bush Pilot Jobs

Postby ShanghaiedStampede » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:13 am

I'm from the US, currently pursuing a commercial pilot certificate, and really want to fly aid supplies or medical relief in Africa, Asia, South America, India, or ANYWHERE INTERESTING. I don't care about a big pay check, I just want to lead the life I want.

I grew up in 27 countries, and have no intention of settling down. This career has been a fantasy of mine for years, and now that I'm 21, I can actually act on it.

What should I do? How do you get experience/become PIC in the bush?

Any help would be much appreciated.
MALLEVS VITRVM FRANGIT, SERRVM AVTEM TUNDIT
ShanghaiedStampede

Postby michelle in alaska » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:32 am

Had a very good friend in college with this same dream. I remember him eventually flying small planes to South America. And then flying different ones back up. I still have pictures of he and his planes in the jungle.
He now pilots a Lear for politicians. I assume this is what he wants. And I'm still not sure of what he used to do....

Philip Caputo's book "Acts of Faith" is sort of a quick, imperfect read on the subject. Again, "Zanzibar Chest" by Aidan Hartley is another good book on past social climate in certain areas.

I'm sure others here will have real guidance from real experience to offer you...
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:38 pm

Bush Pilot jobs?
Are you looking for a job on Air Force 1?
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Bush Pilot

Postby bombdiver » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:52 am

You may want to look into PAC Air, Inc. They are associated with Mission Aviation Fellowship, They fly King Air's in Afganistan. Good Luck though, most places won't look at you without 1000-1500 hours usually because of insurance. The best bet is to become a flight instructor and build some time.
Pull back on stick houses get smaller, push forward on stick houses get bigger.
bombdiver

Re: Bush Pilot

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:53 pm

bombdiver wrote: The best bet is to become a flight instructor and build some time.

Indeed. It's the most economical way to get those PIC hours.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Medevac » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:21 pm

the bush pilot jobs are often the first paying jobs that new pilots manage to get.
They pay shit, the conditions are crap, and the flying can be fairly dangerous.
For some reason they don't tend to keep pilots for very long, and most head out to cushier pastures quickly.
My mate who did his CPL in South Africa (now flying 737s out of Hong Kong) had his first job flying charters for hunters/ sightseers around Southern Africa. Lots of Australian and NZ pilots, (mainly those who paid their own way) built their hours in PNG.

If those are the jobs you want, they aren't too hard to come by, but they are more often word-of-mouth rather than advertised in this months issue of plane-spotter monthly. it helps to be on the ground in the country and hanging around the airfields in question.
Duct tape is just like the Force - it has a light side and a dark side, and holds the Universe together.
Medevac
Peanuticus Gallerius

Postby OneLungMcClung » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:33 pm

Mikethehack wrote:Bush Pilot jobs?
Are you looking for a job on Air Force 1?

OUTSTANDING!!!
OneLungMcClung
BFCus Regularus

Postby soulohio » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:55 pm

hey mr 27 countries...try alaskaa.
where are you going? why don't you walk the wheel with us? what is the matter my american friend? what has upset you?
soulohio
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alessandro » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:03 am

Alessandro
BFCus Regularus

Postby luangwablondes » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:34 am

I doubt you have the skills required to be a bush pilot if you are posting this.
luangwablondes

Postby coldharvest » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:31 am

luangwablondes wrote:I doubt you have the skills required to be a bush pilot if you are posting this.

He's probably right, you need to be drinking twice as much as you are now.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby luangwablondes » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:42 pm

Most pilots do not know the real meaning of the terms "Bush Flying" or "Bush Pilot". Many pilots believe that they are "bush pilots" just because they have flown in a so called "bush" environment and landed on reasonably maintained and prepared and long strips at lodges or camps. Flying tourists into game lodges in a C206 with standard wheels does not make you a "Bush Pilot"!

Bush flying involves operations in rough terrain where there are often no
prepared landing strips or runways, thus necessitating that bush planes be equipped with abnormally large tires.

A bush pilot is a person who is able to fly small airplanes to and from
remote areas inaccessible to most average pilots and aircraft or other means of transportation and furthermore be able to maintain and repair the aircraft and survive in the bush.

A real bush pilot has a higher than normal level of skill and judgment than
the average pilot and fully competent and proficient in the advanced
techniques required to safely fly in this environment.

Bush pilots need to know how to deal with common engine, airframe,
electrical and avionics problems that may occur from time to time including important maintenance issues. When operating out in remote parts of the bush it may not be possible to get a qualified aircraft mechanic to assist you.

A bush plane needs to be properly equipped for operating in remote and rough areas. Such an aircraft should be fitted with strong landing gear and high floatation oversize tires and the pilot should always be ready for any eventuality and carry the necessary tools, spares and survival equipment.
luangwablondes

Re: Bush Pilot Jobs

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:54 pm

Yea but a Swiss person would speak better English than yer average English speaking person. African spammer Kurt?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Kurt » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:43 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:Yea but a Swiss person would speak better English than yer average English speaking person. African spammer Kurt?

African Spammer who registered with GrameenPhone, the biggest charity fraud phone ever and posted from a server company in NYC that I am gonna totally ban now.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:49 pm

You know it will take years (like 5) to acquire enough flight hours to be even considered for a bush pilot job

And most of the time you will end up working as a flight instructor for shit pay to build up your hours – that on top of spending like 60K to 130K taking classes, for licenses and fuel Just to get to the level to teach

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe