Awful beer.

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby goat balls » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:04 pm

Tacos wrote:
crotalus01 wrote:Can't recall the name but it's the national beer of the Phillipines, and it SUCKS.

San Miguel? I didn't think it was that bad, especially at $.25 a bottle.

This stuff gives a serious formaldehyde tasting hangover. Never, ever, get on a Phillipino golf course with a San Magoo hangover in 120F heat and smoke a cigar.
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby goat balls » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:08 pm

shivers wrote:Image

After Olympia, I vote for Rainier beer. Budweiser and Miller suck hairy balls too.
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby goat balls » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:13 pm

Honorable mention to Kenya's formaldehyde based Tusker beer.

Never, ever, get on a Kenyan golf course with a Tusker beer hangover in 120F heat and smoke a cigar.

You'd think I would learn this lesson at some point.
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Re: Awful beer.

Postby andy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:32 am

I think I've tried almost all the beers discussed here. My nominee for the most foul of all (aside from Miller Lite, which tastes like flat club soda that has been liberally spat in for foaminess) is Royal Bitter from Tonga. It tastes like carbonated strained pureed cardboard and anus. http://www.royalbeer.to/products.html
eek.
andy
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:02 am

Belikin Beer from Belize, pronounced "Bellyache"

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Re:

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:14 pm

goat balls wrote:Image

Honorable mention to Kenya's formaldehyde based Tusker beer.

Never, ever, get on a Kenyan golf course with a Tusker beer hangover in 120F heat and smoke a cigar.

You'd think I would learn this lesson at some point.

At an ale house near me the Tusker is $7.00 a bottle!
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:19 pm

Worst beer I ever tasted.....from Colombia

Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby rickshaw92 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:35 pm

I drank Club Colombia when I was there. They dont seem to put much alcohol in it. Thank God for the gool ole rum back up.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Re:

Postby Swordsman » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:57 am

Foulplay wrote:Image

The Windsor Hotel bar in Cairo, right?
"We are the last bastion of free Fuck You shithole travel agents... like Orbitz run by the Soup Nazi...like Club Med run by Goebbels...like a discount seat contest on a North Korean SCUD... - RYP
Swordsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:05 pm

pretty much any local piss that once its put on a ship it magically becomes "premium" hoppy imported beer that has so full of formaldehyde you could store lab animals in it.

Does import mean premium?

January 24, 2008 by knutalbert

There is some interesting research being done on the various beer markets, but it usually comes with a hefty price tag. Take the reports from Minte, who have recently published an overview of imported beer in the US market.

On their web page you’ll find just the table of contents and an outline, with a few items that caught my eye:

Why domestic craft beer threatens market sales and what its popularity can teach imported beer manufacturers
Beer energy drinks - the rise of a new segment (Son of low carb? Ed.)

To read the rest, I would have to fork out $ 3500, money I would rather spend on beer.

Luckily, there are publications writing about reports like these, and I found some coverage in the Marketing Daily.

Between 2001 and 2006, imported beer’s market share increased by 2.3%, which the consultancy says is the highest market share gain among all alcoholic beverages.

Mintel says imported-beer sales in the U.S. will grow 5.9% through 2012. A full 26% of beer drinkers imbibe imported beer.

The firm says import beers are benefiting from consumers’ upgrading to brands like Stella Artois, and “consumer inclination to try new and small [import] brands.” The firm says that Chinese brand Tsingtao, Czech brand Pilsner Urquell, German brands Hacker-Pschorr and Paulaner Biers, Italian brands Moretti and Peroni, Japanese brand Sapporo, Dutch brand Grolsch, and British brand Newcastle Brown Ale all have boosted U.S. sales and market share since 2002.

Mintel says the up-grade trend is being driven–as in other CPG, appliance, and auto market segments–by the expansion of higher-income households in the U.S. The firm notes that from 1999-2006, the number of households pulling in over $75,000 increased by 50%, or nearly 12 million.

The consultancy also says import-beer growth is being spurred by demographic diversity in the U.S., with Hispanic and Asian populations “considerably more likely than the average” to call for a beer from their country.

Mintel says four Mexican brands–Corona, Carta Blanca, Modelo Especial, and Tecate–contributed 41 million cases, or 55% of the total growth of 76 million cases, during 2002-06.

The challenges to import beers and domestic mass-market brands come from spirits and wine, and from the proliferation over the past decade of microbrewery “craft beers” like Magic Hat, Brooklyn Breweries, Sierra and others. Mintel quotes the Brewers Association’s stats saying craft beer volume sales grew 12% in 2006.

Mintel says craft beers attract both beer drinkers and wine and spirits drinkers because of the broad–sometimes wild–array of flavors and types, sophistication, full-bodied taste and higher-than-average alcohol content.

Interesting. To give my interpretation of this, it means that there is a part of the market that want beers similar to the ones they know. They want a B** with a foreign label, and Tsingtao, Moretti, Peroni and Sapporo can do that nicely. No flavour or aroma to offend anyone. To a certain extent you can charge higher prices for what is believed to be premium as well.

But to face the challenge from the domestic craft beers, some of the players have to look to European craft beers, too. Sure, there are small importers who focus on this, and there are Belgian beers widely available. But there is a potential here for real premium beers from Europe. For some brewers I think it is a question of taking the risk of scaling up their operation. If they want to, now is probably the time to do it.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby ExPatJack » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:45 pm

Any beer from S. Africa. Sorry. I really tried to like it by drinking alot of it when I was there, but it was bloody awful.

I had a professor in college that said the reason we have conflict in the world is beacuse countries try to do things that they are just not good at. He recited the British making wine and the French making beer. It was the best class I ever took.
"I will provide a propagandistic casus belli. Its credibility doesn't matter. The victor will not be asked whether he told the truth." - Adolf Hitler
"All books are children's books if the kid can read" - Mitch Hedburg
ExPatJack
BFCus Regularus

Re:

Postby Buzzsaw » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:58 am

shivers wrote:There are also such things as bad sex

Obviously you haven't been having it with me.

Bad dum baaaahh!
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Re: Re:

Postby ROB » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:02 am

Buzzsaw wrote:
shivers wrote:There are also such things as bad sex

Obviously you haven't been having it with me.

I think that goes for just about everyone doesn't it? ;)
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Buzzsaw » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:13 am

---
Last edited by Buzzsaw on Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby Buzzsaw » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:15 am

Good to see you're up early for slow-bowl batsman practice.

But in the spirit of a semi-witty retort, I'll go with

You're right, only like 85% of the total.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe