Bubble's Travel Updates

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Bubble's Travel Updates

Postby south_sea_bubble » Sun May 25, 2008 9:02 pm

My first day in Cairo: I'm ready to go to other parts of the country. It's too smoggy, overcrowded, and just overwhelming.

Should I bother with Alexandria?

Next country: Eritrea!
south_sea_bubble
BFCus Regularus

Re: Bubble's Travel Updates

Postby coldharvest » Sun May 25, 2008 9:26 pm

south_sea_bubble wrote:My first day in Cairo: I'm ready to go to other parts of the country. It's too smoggy, overcrowded, and just overwhelming.

of course you should and watch them Eritreans....they're a might tricky right now.
Don't dress like your from Djibouti.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Mikethehack » Mon May 26, 2008 9:11 am

coldharvest wrote:
south_sea_bubble wrote:My first day in Cairo: I'm ready to go to other parts of the country. It's too smoggy, overcrowded, and just overwhelming.

of course you should and watch them Eritreans....they're a might tricky right now.
Don't dress like your from Djibouti.

Or Ethiopia.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby south_sea_bubble » Wed May 28, 2008 1:10 pm

Went to the Eritrean embassy in Cairo: "You should have gotten the visa in DC." *leaves* Assholes.

Now I'm in Alexandria searching for a cargo ship to Aden or somewhere to the Horn. It's tough going. Tried the port. They wouldn't let me in. Just tried a maritime agent, they didn't have a clue about human cargo. The sales rep suggested finding a cargo ship owner--but he couldn't even help for that task! UGHADS;JFKQEPFJAPWDFJA;DSKJCFA;DKJFA;DFJ ADF;A SJDF;AKDJSFA;SDF I DON'T FUCKING WANT TO BUY A $420 ONE WAY TICKET TO ADDIS.
south_sea_bubble
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Wed May 28, 2008 5:46 pm

Why don't you overland to Sudan?
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:58 pm

The Spitfire in Alex is a good boozer.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby south_sea_bubble » Thu May 29, 2008 5:37 pm

vagabond,

1. Because I have miniscule balls.
2. They will probably not give me a visa.
south_sea_bubble
BFCus Regularus

Postby south_sea_bubble » Thu May 29, 2008 5:38 pm

Rickshaw,

I passed it by! Damnit. Now I'm in Cairo headed for Luxor by train. Keep the recommendations coming. I booked a ticket to Addis on June 3rd. (I have a one way ticket. I just realized this might be a problem?)
south_sea_bubble
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Thu May 29, 2008 6:55 pm

Here's some reading for you from '03:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200304/kaplan
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Re:

Postby shivers » Thu May 29, 2008 9:40 pm

south_sea_bubble wrote:Went to the Eritrean embassy in Cairo: "You should have gotten the visa in DC." *leaves* Assholes.

Now I'm in Alexandria searching for a cargo ship to Aden or somewhere to the Horn. It's tough going. Tried the port. They wouldn't let me in. Just tried a maritime agent, they didn't have a clue about human cargo. The sales rep suggested finding a cargo ship owner--but he couldn't even help for that task! UGHADS;JFKQEPFJAPWDFJA;DSKJCFA;DKJFA;DFJ ADF;A SJDF;AKDJSFA;SDF I DON'T FUCKING WANT TO BUY A $420 ONE WAY TICKET TO ADDIS.

Freight ship travel is not a cheaper alternative to air travel, unless you happen to know the captain and he lets you travel in a cabin that has not been booked.
http://www.seat61.com/Linkspage.htm#freight%20ship
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri May 30, 2008 2:27 pm

The Cap D Or in Cairo is a good place to get tanked, they give you free food too.
http://ultimatepubguide.com/pubs/info.phtml?pub_id=121
It aint far from Maccy Dees on Talat Harb. The Alfey Bey does way cool pigon. By lots of smokes befor going to Lux as everything therer is at rip off prices, even Maccy Dees in gouging.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby south_sea_bubble » Fri May 30, 2008 7:59 pm

Thanks Rickshaw. That's on the street I stay in Cairo so I will have to have to visit. I'm in Luxor now.
south_sea_bubble
BFCus Regularus

Postby south_sea_bubble » Fri May 30, 2008 8:00 pm

Also: I have a one-way ticket to Addis and no Djibouti visa. Will I have problems at Bole International?
south_sea_bubble
BFCus Regularus

Postby redharen » Sat May 31, 2008 4:57 am

Hey, this is a great thread. Bubble, you have all the potential in the world to have either a great journey, or a train wreck of a horrible trip. Either way it'll be a blast to read about. Good on you for making good on all your weird threats to actually get out there and go places. It makes up for all the threads you started that seemed to be full of bizarre, random questions.

Did you manage to find your way back to your hotel without the aid of a GPS?
redharen
small ax

Postby vagabond » Sat May 31, 2008 3:05 pm

SSB - I forget, are you from the US?

Here's some visa info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_passport#Africa

You might want to look into some sort of ticket for onward travel out of Ethiopia if you look at point 5 on here:

http://www.mfa.gov.et/Consular_Affair_D ... ance_5.htm

5. It is of the utmost importance to inform all airliners flying to Ethiopia, except foreign nationals who have Ethiopian resident permit, not to board foreign passengers who wish to travel to Ethiopia without visa if the passengers do not possess a round trip ticket.

Saying that, I haven't been there, so who knows, they might be lax like other countries on that rule. Can't think of anyone on the board whose gone there recently either. You might even have to try the Thorn Tree (*gasp*).

Good luck and happy travels!

V

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe