What's your everyday watch?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Postby Woodsman » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:07 am

Glad to see quite a few on here with more money than brains. I own a Timex stainless watch with a titanium finish that looks really stylish. Got it at Wally World for 45 bucks.

For the wilder places where chances are there will be no people, I wear Suunto Vector. I'd just as soon have a better looking watch, but so far they're not making one I like...The vector works as long as you don't puncture the doohickey in it (mine is punctured and leaks moisture)...
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby AdventureDoc » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:46 pm

I am currently rockin' a 5 year old Casio G-shock. If this one ever craps out I will probably upgrade to a Casio Pathfinder or a Suunto. I figure I deserve it.
AdventureDoc
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:23 am

I just replaced my Timex with a Casio G-Shock. So far I like it, but I've only been wearing it for a few days.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby tonelar » Sun May 04, 2008 7:11 pm

Woodsman wrote:Glad to see quite a few on here with more money than brains.

I have exactly enough of both.

At work I wear a dive watch... either a Sub or a Dweller. My everyday is a GMT Master II, it keeps my manila time handy (my brother lives there again).

almost 20 years old... still going strong.
tonelar

Postby Wayne » Fri May 23, 2008 12:49 am

It's a Casio, I have no clue as to the model. Very light, inexpensive, too...maybe $12? I had my last Casio for 7 years. This one is not digital: just an old-fashioned, simple watch...sweep second hand and all.
It's all I need.
Anyone but BO!
Wayne
BFCus Regularus

Postby mattm1836 » Sun May 25, 2008 6:16 am

In 1993, when I was still in college, I went to see Dinosaur Jr in concert in Houston, Texas. I moshed the whole time and after the show was over, I find an Iron Man lying on the concrete floor. That sucker has been through hell ever since and just keeps on kicking ass. Great watch!
mattm1836
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bluemoon83 » Mon May 26, 2008 10:25 am

I have been wearing a Casio pathfinder for a couple years. Complete with hunting timer and phases of the moon its also sustained some heavy explosions and a fall into a sewage canal outside of Baghdad
Bluemoon83

Postby swagnit » Mon May 26, 2008 2:19 pm

Wearing a watch I find dirt and crap gets under the band and rubs, which is particularly a shiter in the tropics.
Then there's times I have to take it off for work and the bloody thing gets lost, so I've got one of these.

http://www.gogogear.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=998&utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc

Hang it on belt loop, harness etc.
It tells the time,(important feature) doesn't get in the way, cheap, and just keep on going.
Looks a bit poxy, but pfft, it's just a watch.

Cheers
Swagnit.
swagnit
BFCus Regularus

Re: What's your everyday watch?

Postby dewhorse » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:57 pm

Normally a cheap world time (Russian) that EVA had in their catalog, sometimes the Suunto (don't remember the model) and if I plan on getting dirty the Seiko Diver I bought in the PX in '93, that thing is still going strong and after a service in Jakarta ($10) it will last many more years.

I have tried Rolex, Omega and Doxa and will probably own another Omega.
dewhorse

Postby Swordsman » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:02 pm

Traser P6500 or Traser P6506 - both with date wheels, either one with a maratac Zulu/NATO wristband in black, desert tan or green and with subdued('low-lite') hardware depending on where the party is and what cut the tux got.
"We are the last bastion of free Fuck You shithole travel agents... like Orbitz run by the Soup Nazi...like Club Med run by Goebbels...like a discount seat contest on a North Korean SCUD... - RYP
Swordsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:55 pm

A watch is what people look at to judge your tribal status. I wear different watches for different reasons. Big business meeting: Rolex Explorer II with white face, hacking around, my 1972 GMT Master with an obscenely faded bezel, travel in non DP countries my bunga bunga solar powered Casio altimeter, compass, time zone, stopwatch etc etc watch, travel to DP countries a store bought Timex with cloth strap and glow in the dark face. In a really messed up place. no watch but my cheap overseas cel phone does just fine as a timekeeper, alarm etc.

Watches I like but haven't got around to buying; Old school Omega Speedmaster. Bought one for 110 bucks at a pawn shop once now worth 1600...except I gave it away..coolest watch is always your dad or grandfathers watch. Or one that some mustachioed adventurer gave you... ::))
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Jumper » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:44 pm

For field use, I use the Nixon Scout watch. Tough as nails, cheap, tells time.

For back home, I wear a Rolex Submariner Oyster Perpetual(non-date). I love this watch. It is simple and retains it's value. I like Omega watches too, but I do not own one. The Tissot is a cool watch as well, and if I were to get a gadget watch, that would be the one. I do own a Garmin Forerunner 301 which is a great little gadget for running.

Watches I do not like. The cheap crap from Timex. I have busted more watches from Timex than I care to mention. To me, the Nixon Scout is a watch you can beat up(designed for snowboarders and skater kids), and it looks like a hybrid military watch. Stylish too. The big one with the Scout is that the band has no velcro. It has an all stainless steel buckle. I wore this watch all over Iraq, and it did not corrode and took the abuse well. And when you work around heavily armored vehicles like the Mamba or Casspir, you better have a watch that can take some abuse.

I own the green Scout.

And the Submariner.
Feral Jundi

http://www.feraljundi.com

A blog about the security contracting industry.
Jumper
BFCus Regularus

Postby Travelbug » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:43 pm

Surprised how many broad-travelled people have a narrowness regarding "expensive" watches.

No one with a bit of respect for himself or humankind should wear a "watch" made from plastic.

I always wear my cheapest watch when travelling rough: a Breitling "Emergency" with a 121,5 MHz sender.
Travelbug
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:25 pm

Travelbug wrote:Surprised how many broad-travelled people have a narrowness regarding "expensive" watches.

No one with a bit of respect for himself or humankind should wear a "watch" made from plastic.

I always wear my cheapest watch when travelling rough: a Breitling "Emergency" with a 121,5 MHz sender.

That's cool, but some people would cut your arm off for that in some places. I'd much rather part with my Casio than my Omega or Rolex.

What's the deal with service on that watch? I assume you have to get it checked periodically?
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Travelbug » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:58 am

No one cuts my arm off.

IMHO looking bold makes your life much safer than looking poor. In most places. For the few exceptions I put the watch in my pants. BTW Transafrica countries like Angola and Niger were NOT an exception. However, Johannesburg IS a place where I hide my watch at night.

You are right about the service intervals. This has become a real problem with the Breitling Emergency. The price has been doubled to € 300 (!!!), every two and a half years.

In addition, I have been told, the 121,5 MHz frequency emergency system will be altered and further reduce the value of that watch. I was already looking for an alternative, but haven't found one.
Travelbug
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!