survival knife

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: survival knife

Postby Aussie TJS » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:58 am

Dark11Crusader wrote:
Sorry, I think we have a lot of conflicting definitions of "survival knife" being thrown around, through fault of my own as well

Couldn't agree more. The meaning of a survival knive depends on what the terrain is like where you're going and what the worst situation could be. Where i'm going i'm not planning on needing a massive Machette for the woods.
Probably no point in posting this as it may only suit me but this 'Columbia River Black Ultima II' suits me well:
Attachments
CRBU II.gif
CRBU II.gif (18.82 KiB) Viewed 6550 times
Happiness is only a reality when shared
The goal is to Survive or die for a cause - I'll let Jah choose which one
'A weapon in any country is a faster way to trouble than using your brain' - vagabond
Aussie TJS
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dark11Crusader » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:27 pm

I agree, our definitions seem to agree. Though it has happened to me twice, I will rarely be in a true survival situation where I am stranded and my only hope is to be rescued. More than likely, they are situations where I am capable of getting myself out of trouble with some effort and discomfort.

I use the Gerber LMF II ASEK knife, which has worked out perfectly for my needs. At about 5 inches long, it's not too big, not too small, and it feels very substantial in the hand. I have not used the CRKT knife that you use, Aussie, but I imagine that they share some pretty similar attributes. It's also nice and thick, so ive used it as a pry bar. Another big plus is the sharpener in the sheath, which came in handy when it got dull chopping firewood (its not a great chopper, but will work when the need arises.

Like I said, our knives share a lot of similar pluses and minuses. It seems that we share a pretty similar definition. We all can't be RYP running off to dangerous places haha
"
Dark11Crusader

Postby Q » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:53 pm

3 pages and not one mention of the Holy Grail.

A pox on all your houses.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby Dark11Crusader » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:11 pm

Oh please Q, it's not mentioned because everyone knows its legendary status! Though I'm not quite sure what happened to production when Camillus and Sons closed their doors in 2007. Anyone know who produces them now, if anyone still is?
"
Dark11Crusader

Postby Q » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:55 pm

Dark11Crusader wrote:Oh please Q, it's not mentioned because everyone knows its legendary status! Though I'm not quite sure what happened to production when Camillus and Sons closed their doors in 2007. Anyone know who produces them now, if anyone still is?

Tidioute turned into Union Cutlery turned into KA-BAR Cutlery. If you have one with the synthetic handle your fuck is shit.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q

Postby Aussie TJS » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:48 am

Dark11Crusader wrote:I use the Gerber LMF II ASEK knife, which has worked out perfectly for my needs. At about 5 inches long, it's not too big, not too small, and it feels very substantial in the hand.

Picture? My mates who have Gerbers say they're good quailty. The one i had a look at felt good in the hand. Very sturdy
TJS
'A weapon in any country is a faster way to trouble than using your brain' - vagabond
Aussie TJS
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dark11Crusader » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:10 pm

How do you add an image into the post?
"
Dark11Crusader

Postby Q » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:37 am

Dark11Crusader wrote:How do you add an image into the post?

[img]yourimageurlhere[/img]

- The Dear Leader
Q

Postby Aussie TJS » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:57 am

Dark11Crusader wrote:How do you add an image into the post?

When ya go to reply scroll down a little and there is an icon 'Upload Attachment'. Click on that and you should be able to figure the rest of it out, no worries
TJS
Aussie TJS
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dark11Crusader » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:14 am

There she is. I don't carry the webbing cutter around though, I keep it stashed in my car.
Attachments
gb1400.jpg
gb1400.jpg (90.43 KiB) Viewed 6418 times
"
Dark11Crusader

Postby Aussie TJS » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:04 am

Dark11Crusader wrote:There she is.

I like it! Thats good, quite similar to mine. I would have considered getting that knife if i didn't find the Ultima. Nice Zytel sheath
TJS
Aussie TJS
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dark11Crusader » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:02 am

Yeah, the sheath is pretty sweet, but not without its problems. The handle straps are way too short, and you can rarely get them to actually fasten and button together. So I actually cut them off and engineered a different way by doubling up cord. Its much less sophisticated, but they were basically a waste.

The real beauty in the sheath is the built-in sharpener (the black thing down towards the bottoM) So basically if I'm ever in a situation where i need a sharp knife and I dulled it doing some sort of task, I can always put a good working edge on it, even if all i have is the clothes on my back and the sheath. What are you using, aussie?
"
Dark11Crusader

Postby Aussie TJS » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:46 am

Dark11Crusader wrote:What are you using, aussie?

Handy having a built in sharpener. Well the pic i posted earlier, the 'Columbia River Black Ultima II' is my knife and theres a pouch on the sheath which fits a small diamond stone for sharpening. Handy to have on you for 'those' situations.
How much was your knife? Ordered mine through a hunting store for $160AU
TJS
Aussie TJS
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:26 am

My Randall is my favorite right now
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby swagnit » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:51 pm

Survival knife.

Deluxe model c/with handle

Preping the survival kit.

Cheers
Swagnit.
swagnit
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!