The Great Psilocybin Experiment

Exploration of Conspiracy Theories from Perspective of Esoteric Traditions

Moderator: yorick

The Great Psilocybin Experiment

Postby Sri Lanky » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:36 pm

When humans were forced onto the harsh savannah after millenia in the tropical forests due to the gradual drying of the planet they eventually encountered something in the "cowpie" of other animal species.......magic mushrooms!

This facilitated three interesting areas of development;first in improves vision thus making for better hunters. Secondly it acts as an aphrodisiac,promoting orgy sex and the inherent lessening of the ego and boundaries that go with that. Thirdly,when large enough dosage is taken you have the so-called religious experience.

This occured from maybe over a 15,000 to 30,000 year period until the further drying of the planet forced humans into agrarian types of systems and back into the domain of ego. Which is still pretty much where we stand today.
Sri Lanky

Re: The Great Psilocybin Experiment

Postby Woodsman » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:07 pm

I liked when they got the dinosaurs high with the pot fire on that history of the world movie.

There are so many great effective natural substances. It's such a shame much of them are getting ripped into oblivion as we head toward "progress", wherever the hell that might be.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:23 pm

Woodsman wrote: There are so many great effective natural substances.

Puts a new angle to us being all freaks now, in the dope show.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby friendlyskies » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:49 am

There's this awesome little mountain town called San José del Pacifico, about halfway between Oaxaca, Mexico, and the beach town of Puerto Escondido, atop a dry, chilly pine forest just above the arabica-growing highlands. Everyone goes there to do shrooms.

I don't know if it's legal, but they are advertised on billboards and in the tourist magazines - you can buy package deals with a temazcal (sauna), food, shrooms, lodging, and spiritual guide. Or just show up in town and someone will hook you up with the psilocybin, with or without shaman, within minutes. Or with hand-carved mushrooms, knitted mushrooms, other mushroom art - there's a theme. Presumably, if you choose to trip without a shaman, you'll only be able to get as far as hell, not all the way to enlightenment, thus wasting the trip and possibly agreeing to become a demon while in your hallucinatory state. But that's just what the brochures say.

Anyway, here's the woman, from another mountain town (in seriously stunning cloud forest, totally undeveloped) close to the northern border of Oaxaca State, maybe 250km from San José del Pacifico, who introduced magical mushrooms to the modern world via Life magazine:

MARIA SABINA
Curandera, Shaman

1896-1985

Maria Sabina, Mazatec healer, curandera, and Shaman. A native of Huautla de Jimenez, in the State of Oaxaca, Mexico, passed away in 1985 at the age of 91. She is famous for the role she played introducing the sacred mushroom ceremony velada to the world.

In the early 1930's, prior to Maria's rise to prominence, Robert J. Weitlaner, witnessed, but it is not recorded he participated in, the Mazatec mushroom ceremony just northeast of Oaxaca. On July 16, 1938, his daughter Irmgard, with an anthropologist who eventually became her husband, Jean Bassett Johnson, together with two others, Bernard Bevan and Louise Lacaud, attended a mushroom rite in Huautla. Johnson later gave a full account of the event and were the first white persons "recorded" to attend such a ceremony (although it is said they did not participate in the ceremony or ingest the mushrooms).

Throughout the intervening years numerous reports have surfaced, although none offically recorded, of other white men having actually participating in the ceremony. Of those, there is only one of any note, that being a mysterious halluciogenic bio-searcher and mushroom hunter from the Taos, Santa Fe, New Mexico area. He is said to have had several species named after him and known as well, to have been married to a very powerful curandera Shaman himself (see).

In 1955, Gordon Wasson and Allan Richardson, made history by becoming the first documented --- or at least widely publicized --- white men KNOWN to have participated officially in the nocturnal mushroom ceremony. Under the guidance of Maria Sabina, Wasson and Richardson each consumed six pairs of the mushroom Psilocybe caerulescens var. mazatecorum after which they began to feel the effects, manifesting visions of geometric patterns, palaces, and architectural vistas. The results of that experience was published in Life Magazine, May 13 1957, in an article titled "Seeking the Magic Mushroom." That article is considered the inspiration for Dr. Timothy Leary and others to try similar mushrooms and halucinogens.

"I was eight years old when a brother of my mother fell sick. He was very sick, and the shamans of the sierra that had tried to cure him with herbs could do nothing for him. Then I remembered what the teo-nanacatl [mushrooms] told me: that I should go and look for them when I needed help. So I went to take the sacred mushrooms, and I brought them to my uncle's hut. I ate them in front of my uncle, who was dying. And immediately the teo-nanacatl took me to their world, and I asked them what my uncle had and what I could do to save him. They told me an evil spirit had entered the blood of my uncle and that to cure him we should give him some herbs, not those the curanderos gave him, but others. I asked where these herbs could be found, and they took me to a place on the mountain where tall trees grew and the waters of a brook ran, and they showed me the herb that I should pull from the earth and the road I had to take to find them...[After regaining consciousness] it was the same place that I had seen during the trip, and they were the same herbs. I took them, I brought them home, I boiled them in water, and I gave them to my uncle. A few days later the brother of my mother was cured."

Maria Sabina had visions on the "little saints" that someone (Wasson) was coming and would take the tradition to the world after 500 years of secrecy under Spanish rule. As a result of that action, giving the secrets of the "little saints" to outsiders, her son was murdered and her house burned to the ground. During the later years of her life she lamented that "the power of the sacrament had been lost in the clouds," and ending up speaking English instead of the Mazatec. She lived to age 91, passing away on November 22, 1985.

Carlos Castaneda, the best selling author that wrote many, many books where he outlined how he became a sorcerer's apprentice under the auspices of a Yaqui Indian shaman he called Don Juan Matus is reported to have a connection to Maria Sabina. Anthropologist Jay Courtney Fikes in his book Carlos Castaneda, Academic Opportunism and the Psychedelic Sixties (1993) even goes as far to suggests that rather than being one individual, the chance exists that Don Juan was actually a composite of two or possibly even three authentic Indian shamans, of which one was Maria Sabina and the other, although not mentioned by Fikes but others, being the Cahuilla spiritual elder and Bear Shaman, Salvador Lopez. Now, while it is true the Cahuilla band of Indians happen to be located in California only a few hours east of UCLA where Castaneda was a student --- and he could have easily accessed Lopez for information --- a Sabina meeting, however, is considered by most as highly unlikely. The problem with Sabina is that she is not known to have ventured very far (physically) from her birthplace. Castaneda's wife Margaret Runyan confirms that her husband made frequent field trips to Mexico in the time he was supposedly apprenticed to Don Juan, and even though it has been recorded that Castaneda met briefly with Dr. Timothy Leary at the Catalina Hotel in Zihuatanejo sometime during the summer of 1962 --- somewhat unsuccessfuly it has been said --- NOTHING other than inuendos has surfaced that substantiates any sort of meeting between the curandera and Castaneda.

However, according to Richard de Mille in his book The Don Juan Papers (1980), in that Don Juan had the ability and knowledge to transmit the use mushrooms similar to the curandera, said to have been learned from his teacher's teacher, Elias Ulloa, it adds a certain amount of credibility to reports that have surfaced indicating Castaneda traveled with Don Juan to the mountains southwest and northwest of Valle Nacional in the State of Oaxaca to collect mushrooms.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Sri Lanky » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:01 pm

Why do people choose to do shrooms...or LSD for that matter?

Most do it for the wrong reason....to simply get fucked up. I mean,it's not like you're trying to get in touch with this so-called transcendental object some of these shamans rave about....or is it?

Each evolutionary epoch is getting shorter in duration and us humans evolved to speed up this process towards this transendental thing.

Good Darwinists,who believe in no purpose at all,balk at this......but then they believe the universe exploded out of nothing...lol

LSD is a good cure for alcoholism they say....more like a good cure for stupidity.
Sri Lanky

Postby Ultra Swain » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:18 pm

Any spiritual experience you get from LSD or shrooms pretty much stops after about the 5th time you do it anyway. After that its just recreation.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Sri Lanky » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:31 pm

I think most of us know people who did LSD every weekend during high school,taking up to 10 hits at a time.....I wonder where they are now?

I'm glad I only did it 5 or 6 times and as far as shrooms go maybe 15 to 20 times.

I heard about some ritual in Thailand that actually doesn't involve a whore....it involves eating the still beating heart of a cobra. Anybody divulge in that?

I heard it fucks you up for days.
Sri Lanky

Postby Sri Lanky » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:50 pm

Where have they gone?

You see a few leftovers hanging around street corners,looking real fucked up with vacant stares.....kinda like they are astonished at the turn of events.

Maybe you've seen some at Venice Beach?

The rest are wearing suits and ties.
Sri Lanky

Postby Stiv » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:33 am

They hang out at Renissance fairs, turn into Wiccans, follow Bob Weir and Ratdog, attend impending Phish reunions, Moe, String cheese incident concerts and once they lose almost everything they have if they are not living in some commune in the hinterlands somewhere spend what little money they do have quaffing bottles of 12hour extra strength (no Gaufreisen (sp?) included SVP) Robitussen.

Man you do live in the middle of nowhere.

~Stiv
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby dgold0101 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:36 am

Terrence McKenna wrote a number of books theorizing on mushrooms or another psyilocybin product playing a large role in evolution and awakening consciousness in what would become humans. Dude makes a lot of good points. If you think about, most indiginous cultures that exist on the fringes of society or not in what we deem civilization, from Siberia to West Africa to Arizona to the Amazon using a hallucinogenic plant and prolonged trip either as a rite of passage into adulthood or as a facilitator in making important decisions. No bar mitzvah, no communion, just a bag of plants and the isolated wilderness.

Also, a lot of people have speculated that religion, especially the bible, were written/created by people on hallucinogenic drugs. Shit makes a lot of sense. Burning bush talking to you? I think there was even a prominent anthropologist that was talking about a year or so go. And when Timothy Leary did experiments where he gave people hallucinogens and put them in churches, most had religious awakenings.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... demic.html

There's some truth to this stuff. If you google Joe Rogan DMT, you'll hear some interesting shit as well. I've been meaning to do DMT for years. Never done acid. Did shrooms a few times.
dgold0101
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:05 pm

Another interesting theory was that the witch burnings and werewolf sightings in Europe were caused by the local populace eating grain with the wheat rust that is the precursor to LSD. Fucking peasants can't hold their mud.
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby OneLungMcClung » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:32 am

Never EVER watch the Simpsons while on acid.
Money Talks...
OneLungMcClung
BFCus Regularus

Postby Stiv » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:09 am

Ultra Swain wrote:Another interesting theory was that the witch burnings and werewolf sightings in Europe were caused by the local populace eating grain with the wheat rust that is the precursor to LSD. Fucking peasants can't hold their mud.

Yeah I think it was what's called Ergot poisoning. I'd post more but I'm a goin ta bed. Perhaps manyana.

Best,
Stiv
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:46 pm

Ultra Swain wrote: Another interesting theory...
It is more of an idea than a theory, no?

Stiv wrote: Yeah I think it was what's called Ergot poisoning.

Correct Stiv. Rather strange (and life-threatening) situation esp when stuck in a medieval setting.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Ultra Swain » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:06 am

I think it rates theory status since the documentary I watched about it had a map of confirmed cases of witch burnings with a map of ergot poisoning occurrences and they seemed to line up. But semantically you may be correct.
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Next

Return to Tin-Foil Hat Cafe