The Soul Of Rumi....

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

The Soul Of Rumi....

Postby Laal Khan » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:50 am

I have no idea if anyone here's interested in the work of 13th century sufi poet Rumi or sufism.
Rumi was born in Balkh Afghanistan, later on moved to middleast cuz of GhanGaiz Khan's attack on Balkh. His work is translated in 13th different languages and he's one well known sufi poet in U.S from middleast beside Khlial Jabrian.

The Soul Of Rumi: By Coleman..is a great book for anyone to read.

The question we all ask when we look down deep in our creation.

" Where did I come from,and what am I supposed to be doing?"

His answer." I have no idea. My soul is from elsewhere, Im sure of that and I intend to end up there. "
Maulana Jelaliddin Rumi
Last edited by Laal Khan on Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laal Khan
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:52 am

Yes yes yes!

Mevlana Rumi was a great man and wrote the most beautiful poetry. The Rumi monastery in Konya is such a holy place with a beautiful green pagoda, which seems to float.
I had the most special experience of witnessing a sema in Konya Turkey. I admire the spiritual path of the dervishes. The philosophy of Sufi Islam is most welcoming:
Come again, come again whatever you are
Come whether you be non-Moslem, pagan or Zoroastrian
Our dergah is not the dergah of despair
Come back, even if you have broken your vow of repentance
a hundred times.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kasca » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:30 am

Just as intellects are bewildered
by my madness,
I am bewildered by the frozen state
of these intellects.

Because in this path,
anything other than confusion
and madness
is distance and alienation from God.

--Rumi,
translated by Coleman Barks
"...That was some weird shit."

- George W. Bush, after hearing Donald Trump's Inauguration speech. January 20, 2017. Washington D. C.
Kasca
BFCus Regularus

Postby Laal Khan » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:00 am

seektravelinfo wrote:Yes yes yes!

Mevlana Rumi was a great man and wrote the most beautiful poetry. The Rumi monastery in Konya is such a holy place with a beautiful green pagoda, which seems to float.
I had the most special experience of witnessing a sema in Konya Turkey. I admire the spiritual path of the dervishes. The philosophy of Sufi Islam is most welcoming:
Come again, come again whatever you are
Come whether you be non-Moslem, pagan or Zoroastrian
Our dergah is not the dergah of despair
Come back, even if you have broken your vow of repentance
a hundred times.

What makes Rumi's poetry so beautiful, cuz he speaks the truth and uncondtional love he has for all humanity and the creator...who created us all equally regarless of our background, race, religion and creed.
When you read Rumi, you are no longer Muslim, Jewish, Christian, or Buddist . You just become part of humanity without any religious affilation.
If you guys can get the CD of Depak Copera " The Gift of love" ..it has many Rumi transalated poems with music.
Last edited by Laal Khan on Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laal Khan
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:50 pm

Rumi's poetry is astonishing. I like reading "ancient" literature because it reminds me that the issues we struggle with on an existential level haven't changed all that much - in all cultues...Japanese, Greek, Renassiance....the human heart and yearnings are as hopeful and fragile in such a timeless fashion.....

Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

maybe we should airdrop some rumi

Postby Jumper » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:53 pm

Maybe the middleeast could use a dose of sufi islam. Lets airdrop some Rumi Poetry instead of JDAMs...
Feral Jundi

http://www.feraljundi.com

A blog about the security contracting industry.
Jumper
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fansy » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:49 pm

The middle east has had its dose of sufism for the last 1000+ years, and persian culture has almost always been at the center of the movement. A fat lot of good that's done them.
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Disheartening realities

Postby seektravelinfo » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:30 pm

Jumper wrote:Maybe the middleeast could use a dose of sufi islam. Lets airdrop some Rumi Poetry instead of JDAMs...

I have spoken to Muslims who consider Sufi to be infidels for whatever convoluted reason or another.

Similarly I have been told by some Catholics that the "Church" is the ONLY representative of Christianity, Protestants be damned.

"Born Agains" will inform you every chance they get that THEY are the only ones who will enter Heaven.

The profound and simple philosophy of Rumi overrides all of that tripe, with emphasis on the philosophy and not the religion.
To meet a holy person on a true spiritual path is a treasure, no matter what their choice of practice is.
The most spiritual people I have met were Sufi and persons worshipping with The Church of God in Christ, which is a hard core holy roller Black American denomination.
Like the Sufi, they dance themselves into meditative spiritual trances and their motivation is pure, their joy is contagious and their compassion is limitless. I admire their faith.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:36 pm

Rumi was one of the first to integrate evolution with spirituality.
Sri Lanky

Re: Disheartening realities

Postby Jackson » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:00 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:
Jumper wrote:Maybe the middleeast could use a dose of sufi islam. Lets airdrop some Rumi Poetry instead of JDAMs...

I have spoken to Muslims who consider Sufi to be infidels for whatever convoluted reason or another.

Similarly I have been told by some Catholics that the "Church" is the ONLY representative of Christianity, Protestants be damned.

"Born Agains" will inform you every chance they get that THEY are the only ones who will enter Heaven.

The profound and simple philosophy of Rumi overrides all of that tripe, with emphasis on the philosophy and not the religion.
To meet a holy person on a true spiritual path is a treasure, no matter what their choice of practice is.
The most spiritual people I have met were Sufi and persons worshipping with The Church of God in Christ, which is a hard core holy roller Black American denomination.
Like the Sufi, they dance themselves into meditative spiritual trances and their motivation is pure, their joy is contagious and their compassion is limitless. I admire their faith.

not all Sufis are infidels. Some of them do go too far I think and it just cant be considered Islam anymore. However, some of them are still within Islam, they just look at things a little differently. which is cool.
Jackson
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:45 pm

You have to go through the fundamentalist bullshit to get beyond it.....unfortunately a lot of people stay in the fundamentalist mode because they are comfortable in that headspace.
Sri Lanky

Postby DawnC71 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:02 pm

Thanks Laal,
A little Rumi-nation might be just what I need right now. I will pick up a book today I think. I had heard of him in the past but never read anything. Thanks for reminding me of something good and positive to read because watching CNN, and reading the paper is getting old real fast....and American TV in general stinks like hell.
Cheers,
Dawn
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lunatock » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:09 pm

I'm at the library right this second. Perhaps I could try looking that book up as well...
So I'll meet up with that Russian, that Brazillian, the rest of the team from Brooklyn..and we'll start shooting.
Lunatock
Obarrg

picked up a copy- illuminated rumi

Postby Jumper » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:28 pm

Read through the "Illuminated Rumi" copy and it was nice. I didn't see anything in there about chopping off heads and filming it or flying jets into buildings and killing thousands of innocent, so that was nice. Although I wonder about the actual translations and if the prose that we are reading is exactly how Rumi wanted us to read it. Either way it reflects positively on sufi-ism and islam and was nice to read.
Feral Jundi

http://www.feraljundi.com

A blog about the security contracting industry.
Jumper
BFCus Regularus

Postby DawnC71 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:40 pm

Now that is the funniest thing I've read all week

"Guess who's back....back again.....Dawn is back...Telll a friend:=D"
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe