Identity theft

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Identity theft

Postby Sri Lanky » Sat May 09, 2009 10:01 pm

Had my birth certificate lost/stolen.

What would you suggest? The first thing would be to report it to the police....which I hate having to do. No one likes dealing with cops but it's a cover your ass thing in case something does go wrong.

Anything else I should know/do?
Sri Lanky

Re: Identity theft

Postby Tacos » Sun May 10, 2009 12:28 am

If you're really worried about it, you can sign up for one of those credit check things that alerts you when any new accounts are opened in your name.
Tacos
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Sun May 10, 2009 1:27 am

I've got the phone numbers.
Sri Lanky

Postby Sri Lanky » Sun May 10, 2009 1:54 am

My other concern involves a few 'motorcycle enthusiasts' who want to know if and what I am connected to.....paranoid fuckers.

Hmmm...maybe I'm the paranoid one.
Sri Lanky

Postby Devlin » Sun May 10, 2009 1:47 pm

Sri Lanky wrote:Had my birth certificate lost/stolen.

What would you suggest? The first thing would be to report it to the police....which I hate having to do. No one likes dealing with cops but it's a cover your ass thing in case something does go wrong.

Anything else I should know/do?

There is a bit of a difference between lost and stolen. It depends where you are but most cops that no one likes dealing with will not take a report on a lost one. If it is stolen then you are most likely missing other property. Check the back of your check books. See if any of the rear checks have been removed. Credit card statements, ect. It is not worth just stealing your birth certificate.

You may be able to just call your local police department and make the report over the phone. That way you would not have to deal with them in person.
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Sun May 10, 2009 5:50 pm

If I were you I would get a police report saying it was stolen – so if someone does use your name for credit someday you can show proof to the credit agencies that it was surely identity theft

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby nowonmai » Sun May 10, 2009 6:21 pm

You have a birth certificate? How mundane, I thought you were a djinn or at least an imp.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Sun May 10, 2009 9:00 pm

Yeah,and I can't wait to get a death certificate...the ultimate in mundacity.

It just so happens I ran into one of the 'motorcycle enthusiasts' at the gym earlier today and he apologized to me because his three-year old kid got in my way. It's a ruse...I know it is.
Sri Lanky

Postby Sri Lanky » Sun May 10, 2009 10:22 pm

I had one of their whores over at my place about 3 weeks ago.....my stupid. Old habits die hard.

That's how they operate though...they send their whores out like tentacles to tickle testicles. I know one guy who ended up trapped inside of a biker organization because he wanted to play the hero and impress a whore by helping to move a body. I like to think I ain't that stupid.
Sri Lanky

Postby media » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:31 am

Birth Cert is a basic document, I can make one on my Mac. Usually someone would need two or three forms of ID to really do some damage. I'd monitor your credit, check and read all your mail, file a police report if it makes you feel better. BTW: The best way to fight identity theft is to have bad credit!
Send Lawyers Guns and Money...
media
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe