The Wire

For those post related to Burt Reynolds and throwing balls.

The Wire

Postby nowonmai » Fri May 29, 2009 11:46 pm

I just watched the episode of The Wire tonight in which a cop shoots another cop accidentally. Then I spy this in the news below, almost a carbon copy of the incident and the political aftermath - ie. a race issue.
If you haven't watched The Wire then do so, from the beginning. If you have it on a DVD prepare for a late night and have plenty of smokes in if that's your thing.

NYPD investigates how cop shot off-duty colleague
By COLLEEN LONG – 2 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) — A police officer had just opened fire on a man he thought was a criminal, caught running through a desolate stretch of Harlem with a gun in his hand. But when paramedics arrived at the scene and cut through the bloodied clothes, the officers realized the man handcuffed and dying in the street was wearing a police academy T-shirt underneath his street clothes, and had a badge in his pocket.

He was a rookie cop chasing down a thief who had just broken into his car.

Now, police are trying to determine whether any disciplinary or legal action will be taken against the officer who fired or whether the victim, Omar J. Edwards, might not have followed proper procedure.

The officer who fired and two others involved were placed on administrative duty during the investigation, and it is too early to say whether anyone was at fault, said police spokesman Paul Browne.

"The matter is under investigation. I'm not going to characterize the shooting in any way," he said Friday.

The episode once again raised questions about whether the NYPD is too trigger-happy, especially when the targets are black. The officers are white; Edwards was black.

Edwards left his shift early at the police housing bureau in Manhattan's Harlem neighborhood Thursday around 10:30 p.m. when he noticed a man rummaging through his car along a darkened street. The man, Miguel Santiago, had used a metal spark plug to smash the window, police said.

Edwards struggled with Santiago, who wriggled out of his sweat shirt and took off running. Edwards pursued him with his 9 mm Smith & Wesson handgun drawn, witnesses told police.

Meanwhile, Officer Andrew Dunton, a sergeant and another officer in an unmarked gray police car came upon the two men running. The officers were on routine patrol from the neighboring 25th Precinct anti-crime unit.

Santiago, who ran past the officers, said later that he heard Dunton yell, "Police! Stop! Drop the gun!"

That's when Edwards, in front of the police car, turned toward the officers with his service weapon in hand, police said. Dunton fired six times from behind the passenger's door; Edwards was hit in the left arm, hip and back. He died at the Harlem Hospital Center about an hour after the shooting.

Though the official cause of death was a gunshot to the chest, the bullet that caused the fatal injury entered the left side of Edward's back before hitting his heart and left lung, said medical examiner spokeswoman Ellen Borakove. It lodged in the front of his chest.

Edwards did not fire his weapon, and Browne said that so far, no witnesses say he identified himself as an officer.

The other two officers ran after Santiago and arrested him on charges of petit larceny and resisting arrest. He was briefly hospitalized Friday but was being held at the 25th Precinct, police said. He was apparently living at a shelter.

Dunton, 30, has been an officer for four years.

On Friday, lawmakers and residents debated whether race played in the shooting even as the NYPD is the most diverse it's ever been.

"I think they just saw a guy with a gun. How's that cop (who shot him) supposed to know" he was a police officer, said Carmen Romero, who was on her way to work Friday from a nearby housing project. On the other hand, she said, it could have been because the cop was black.

Phyllis Tate, talking with another customer in a shop near the scene of the shooting, wondered how to identify officers if they're not in uniform.

"I don't feel this was a racial thing. They can't be running around out here in plainclothes with their guns drawn. The shooter was acting like an officer. The victim was acting like an officer also," she said.

The Rev. Al Sharpton said he got calls shortly after the shooting "from black officers who were at the precinct and were alarmed by the shooting of Omar Edwards." The civil rights activist said he is concerned about "a growing pattern of black officers being killed with the assumption that they are the criminals."

Sharpton called for a federal investigation.

"Can police investigate themselves fairly and impartially? It would seem very difficult at best and unlikely in fact," he said.

Browne wouldn't comment on the race issue.

The 25-year-old Edwards joined the department in July 2007, and his family said he always wanted to be a cop.

"He was a wonderful, wonderful child from when he was small," said his father, Ricardo Edwards.

Omar Edwards lived in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn with his new wife and two small children, but was assigned to the Impact Response Team, a roving team of officers that helps flood higher-crime areas with officers. Edwards also played defensive tackle for the NYPD football team last year but took this season off to get married.

"His desire was always to be a policeman and to play football; and he did accomplish both because he plays for the Police Department," said his uncle, Jerome Harding.

On Friday, purple and black bunting hung in front of the police station, and several vigils were held for the family. More were planned for the weekend. The NYPD changed its on-the-job training for June to confrontations between officers.

The shooting recalled other cases of off-duty policemen being shot and killed by fellow officers.

In 2008, a black, off-duty Mount Vernon police officer was killed by a Westchester County policeman while holding a gun on an assault suspect in suburban White Plains.

In 2006, a New York City police officer, Eric Hernandez, was shot and killed by an on-duty patrolman who was responding to an attack at a White Castle in the Bronx.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Re: The Wire

Postby Stiv » Sat May 30, 2009 12:33 am

Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fansy » Sat May 30, 2009 7:59 am

watched all seasons. two or three times. best show pretty much ever. if you dont watch it you pretty much suck donkey ass.
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Sat May 30, 2009 8:12 am

Fansy wrote:watched all seasons. two or three times. best show pretty much ever. if you dont watch it you pretty much suck donkey ass.

media is for liberal homosexualists
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Penta » Sat May 30, 2009 8:37 am

No, he's right. Apart perhaps from the donkey's ass bit. I agree: best long drama series ever.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby coldharvest » Sat May 30, 2009 10:36 am

Penta wrote:No, he's right. Apart perhaps from the donkey's ass bit. I agree: best long drama series ever.

......please.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby 0verbyte » Sun May 31, 2009 3:36 am

i knew Police Officer Omar Edwards. He went to Lincoln highschool. Good man. RIP.
0verbyte
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:01 pm

Downloaded and saw it all in a row. Well worth the bandwidth.
7.I TRIED TO FILM SEX WITH BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, ORGASMS, CRIMPIES, SQUIRTS - BUT ALL DON'T CARE.IN A YEAR I DOWNLOADED 180 VIDEOS OF WHICH THE MOST WATCHED ARE IN@EST, SLE@PERS AND TABOO.PEOPLE STRIVE FOR EVERYTHING WRONG AND FORBIDDEN, IT IS THEIR NATURE.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Fansy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:38 am

day late an a buck short broski
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:30 am

Fansy wrote:day late
Dunno, more like 7.5 years late. Even though the first series is from 2002 it didn't feel aged.

Glad to see you are back, honey-bunch.
7.I TRIED TO FILM SEX WITH BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, ORGASMS, CRIMPIES, SQUIRTS - BUT ALL DON'T CARE.IN A YEAR I DOWNLOADED 180 VIDEOS OF WHICH THE MOST WATCHED ARE IN@EST, SLE@PERS AND TABOO.PEOPLE STRIVE FOR EVERYTHING WRONG AND FORBIDDEN, IT IS THEIR NATURE.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:21 pm

Bitchin show.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby el3so » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:05 pm

Fansy wrote:day late an a buck short

Once again I emerge from the mists of time. Viewing the first of many raining in philadelphia episodes.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Caliban » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:27 am

Fansy wrote:watched all seasons. two or three times. best show pretty much ever. if you dont watch it you pretty much suck donkey ass.

rickshaw92 wrote:Bitchin show.

Oh, indeed.
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

contemporary

Postby el3so » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:17 pm

Have the time-machine set to 2004 now. Deadwood: good.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re: contemporary

Postby rickshaw92 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:26 pm

el3so wrote:Have the time-machine set to 2004 now. Deadwood: good.

Really?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Next

Return to Movies , Entertainment & Sport