Bear Gryllis "survival" Knife...only $750 Friggin Dollars!

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Bear Gryllis "survival" Knife...only $750 Friggin Dollars!

Postby RYP » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:14 pm

I stumbled over this... jezzzis friggin keerist..I would rather take a sat phone for that kinda money

http://www.bayleyknife.com/images/bear_02_hd.jpg

Bear Grylls Knife

http://www.bayleyknife.com/site/bear.aspx

What Knife does Bear Grylls Use?

The Bear Grylls knife used on the Man vs. Wild survival show on the Discovery Channel had me stumped for quite some time. At first I thought perhaps Bears knife was one of the SOG knives used by Navy Seals or even a Becker Knife but a closer look showed Grylls knife and sheath to be much different.

Bear Grylls survival knife as far as I knew could have been a one-of-a-kind custom made knife until a sharp reader of Survival Topics chanced upon the answer. According to this source, Bear Grylls knife came about when he decided the best survival knife had not yet been made.
How Bear Grylls Knife Came to Be

Grylls teamed with the knife expert Robert Bayely to make a knife design more to the survivor’s liking. Robert Bayely is known for making excellent custom survival knives that are sought after by collectors. By teaming up with Bear they could market the famous survival hosts name on top of the knife manufacturers reputation.
Knife Bear Grylls Uses
Knife Bear Grylls Uses

The Bear Grylls knife was designed according to the following characteristics: First off Bear Grylls knife needed to be strong and durable. Of course the best survival knives are made with full tang blades. His personal preference was for a one piece knife guard, which makes sense when making a survival knife that can withstand great punishment and continue to function. Bear’s knife had to be easily carried without restricting movement and so was designed slim, lightweight, and of reasonable size.
The Grylls Survival Knife Stats

The handle of Bear Grylls survival knife is Bead blasted and attached to an RWL Swedish powder steel blade. It comes with a leather sheath that can be worn horizontally, which is my favorite position.

Blade size is 100mm X 30 X 4 (3.9inches x 1.2 x .16) which is in the range of a good survival knife. Total length 215mm (8.5 inches) and weighing in at 200grams (7 ounces).
Other Knives Used by Bear Grylls

Since this article has been written a number of readers have sent in their observations on Man Vs Wild knife sightings. Survival knives chosen for use by Bear Grylls include:

* Buck Iceman
* Titanium Pro Dive Knife
* Wenger Serrated Mountaineer Knife
* Gerber Gator Serrater with Clip Point
* Buck Iceman
* Titanium Pro Dive Knife

One reader claims he saw Bear Grylls using a Becker Knife but I have not be able to confirm this. If you know of any other blades let me know and I will post them here.
Where to Buy Bear Grylls Knife

The Bear Grylls knife is the most expensive survival knife I have covered, at 350GBP or over US$710. However if you are enamored of Bear Grylls, a knife collector, or expense is no option Bear Grylls knife might be just plain fun to have.

More Survival Topics on Page 16

* Email this Survival Topic to a Friend
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Re: Bear Gryllis "survival" Knife...only $750 Friggin Dollars!

Postby Woodsman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:41 pm

This "survival" knife is available 2/$1.00 at your local dollar store.

This is what I used to use when I was in college working at Christmas tree farms. A big Ojibwa Indian is the one who turned me on to these kinds of knives. They're cheap and they work.

That being said, I spent $90 on a Black-oxide coated Leatherman Wave because it is much more useful (on various problems that arise) than the 2 for 1 steak knives. Plus it looks cooler in black.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:31 pm

No no dude..>Ginzu...gotta be ginzu.. When you leave em stuck in people it adds a certain irony for the media.
http://www.maniacworld.com/Jedi-Ginsu-Knife.jpg
RYP

Postby Caliban » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:05 am

Im getting an idea....

The bear Grylls steak knife - no grylled bears too tough
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby RYP » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:05 pm

Sporks..why are there no celebrity survival sporks??

he Light My Fire Spork L (Serving Spork) is an extra large version of the much-celebrated original Spork and retains the same design. It’s ideal for dishing out the entrée around the campfire, tossing a salad at picnics or for the hearty eater who likes a oversized soup spoon.
The Spork L is made of dishwasher safe polycarbonate, is heat resistant and won’t scratch delicate cooking surfaces. Made in Sweden. Color, Red.

• Lightweight 1.1 oz.
• Functional design
• 9.85 inches in length
• Dishwasher safe
• Made in Sweden
RYP

Postby Caliban » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:47 pm

I've got a camouflaged spork somewhere. If I can find it I'll post a photo.
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby XpatBubba » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:05 am

Nice Spork
Fuck Bear Grills, dumb enough to join the French Foreign Legion, dumb enough to spend $750 on a blade.
For fixed blade I like K-Bar, under $100 delivered TTD
Folders I like Spyderco (almost too pricy, scared to fucking use them) but more regularly buy Jungalee, sturdy knives, price tag around $65 TTD
Did I mention fuck Bear Grills?
Camera crew saves his ass all the time. He takes unnecessary risks for ratings. Whore. He is not teaching people about survival, he teaches hot to injure themselves by hot dogging and showing off. Prick.
XpatBubba

Postby coldharvest » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:48 am

Fuck Bear Grills, dumb enough to join the French Foreign Legion, dumb enough to spend $750 on a blade.

Welcome to the Flag.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby thewalrus » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:20 am

Let's not forget the limited edition $699.95 (+$20 S&H) Walrus Patented wilderness survival tableware set...
thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Postby Inna21 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:32 am

The Spoon and Fork is good for children below 7-5 years old.This is a good idea.

Regards

Inna
Inna21

Postby coldharvest » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:09 pm

x-acto wrote:Why does the spoon and fork are included here? Hence, we are talking about survival knife.

Dude, the knives at your site suck the B-movie monster cock.....heavily suck.....and then tries to put the balls in the mouth.
Not only are some of your weapons more dangerous to the user but you seem to have something
called a 'John Rambo' signature knife.......I don't know how to break it to you but John Rambo is dead.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby RYP » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:16 pm

because real men carry a FOLDING spork
RYP

Postby Mikethehack » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:10 pm

I'm gonna wait for the Bear Gryllis combat spatula. It will be worth every last cent of the $1000 I'm prepared to pay.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby Mikethehack » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:13 pm

I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:12 pm

Yep – believe it or not the 500+ buck knife is a huge part of the Knife industry, its actually the only part of the “tactical knife” industry that isn’t effected by the bad economy

Plus Bear has like a zillion bucks from his dad, he probably doesn’t even realize that people think 700 bones is allot for a knife

~James
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!